Retired....

1989 Mark 7

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have some unfortunate news... I have to retire my 1989 Mark VII LSC. After 18 yrs and 150,575 miles, I'm sending her out to pasture. In recent months, I've been having a series of problems, she shakes horribly at 40 MPH, and the faster you go, the harder it shakes... the weird part is, it only does it once in a blue moon. But that's not all..... If I go faster than 45-50 smoke starts coming through the hood and vents. And I need a new accumulator, which is gonna cost me over $3,500. Unless this is a lie, and I can fix it for under a grand, (total for it all) she's gotta go. I'm replacing her wit a 2000 Mercury Sable.

1989 Mark 7 said:
I have some unfortunate news... I have to retire my 1989 Mark VII LSC. After 18 yrs and 150,575 miles, I'm sending her out to pasture. In recent months, I've been having a series of problems, she shakes horribly at 40 MPH, and the faster you go, the harder it shakes... the weird part is, it only does it once in a blue moon. But that's not all..... If I go faster than 45-50 smoke starts coming through the hood and vents. And I need a new accumulator, which is gonna cost me over $3,500. Unless this is a lie, and I can fix it for under a grand, (total for it all) she's gotta go. I'm replacing her wit a 2000 Mercury Sable.

An accomulator cozt $ 213.38! ;)
Don't give her up!

1989 Mark 7 said:
WAIT WAIT WAIT!

Get a second opinion! Get a THIRD!

The shakes can be as simple as an ignition wire rubbing against ground, throwing the computer or timing off or making a cylinder misfire! The complicated end of this problem would be a worn harmonic balancer, water pump, or fan clutch!

Brake accumulators from FORD retail for $300.00! (SEE: http://www.thelincolnmarkviiclub.org/tech/brakeAccumulator.pdf) A highly paid mechanic can do this in two hours at a top rate of $75.00 per hour plus brake fluid and testing.

+300 parts
+150 labor
+50 fluids
+50 road test
= $550.00 tops!

PLEASE RECONSIDER.

i can't just find an accumulator by itself around here so i'd have to replace the whole unit. the accumulator, reservior and a couple of other parts. so including labor it's lookin close to $3,000

1989 Mark 7 said:
i can't just find an accumulator by itself around here so i'd have to replace the whole unit. the accumulator, reservior and a couple of other parts. so including labor it's lookin close to $3,000

So when am I coming to get it?

1989 Mark 7 said:
Call Millsboro Ford, 338 W Dupont Highway, Millsboro, DE 19966
(302) 934-8100 and ask for part number E8OY-2C231A.

OldSchool1 said:
Call Millsboro Ford, 338 W Dupont Highway, Millsboro, DE 19966
(302) 934-8100 and ask for part number E8OY-2C231A.

wow u looked up millsboro ford!!! I'll try that today... Since we got snow here today i took off.. And to those who asked... u can get it whenever u want.. there's 150,600 on the odometer..... original, brand new tires (1,300 miles on them) the only problems are the ones i mentioned... seats could probably use a touch up... (you know how 20yr old leather can get) i just can't afford to get all of this stuff fixed.

1989 Mark 7 said:
wow u looked up millsboro ford!!! I'll try that today... Since we got snow here today i took off.. And to those who asked... u can get it whenever u want.. there's 150,600 on the odometer..... original, brand new tires (1,300 miles on them) the only problems are the ones i mentioned... seats could probably use a touch up... (you know how 20yr old leather can get) i just can't afford to get all of this stuff fixed.

As I said before, I'll save it before it gets retired anywhere. You sign the title over and I can be up there with a car trailer the beginning of March, and possibly sooner.

... and I'll give Josh a hand loading it. That car will NOT be retired in a salvage yard (yuck)!

We'll make sure that the old girl has a good home and is WELL cared for.

E-mail Josh or myself and we'll take it from there.

John "OldSchool1" Dancy

any updates on this one?

I'm with Josh and John...and guys if you need me I do have my truck :)

www.priorreman.com has the accumulators for 99.99. They don't have the allen wrench socket though. I used a strap wrench, it only gets about 25 ft lbs anyway IIRC.

blue89 said:
www.priorreman.com has the accumulators for 99.99. They don't have the allen wrench socket though. I used a strap wrench, it only gets about 25 ft lbs anyway IIRC.
Thanks for the resource!

I was hoping that someone would come in and show the moderate or low end cost of this repair.

Anyone else have a resource for low cost Lincoln Mark VII Remanufactured or aftermarket brake parts?

I can get one to you for under $35.00. John, Rob or Josh can forward your address to me. Hell, I'll send it to you for free if you put the car back into service.

I retired my 86 Mark at 225,000 miles. Not because it quit running, but because the paint and leather fell off! I replaced it with 4 more just like it!

Don't let er go unless it does back into service, please. I've still got mine, I just dont have it licensed or insured.
Art

I Know How You All Feel About A 7 Going To The Junkyard..it Just Isn't Right.........however Because I Live In Florida And We Have Several U Pull Yards,,,i Like The Fact That I Have Found Several Parts Cars, Makes It Nice For Those Of Us Needing Them..again I State That No Mark Should Have Been That Abused That It Ended Up In A Junkyard..i Need To Take My Camera And Show You Pics Of How Many There Are Down Here..one Yard Has No Less That Six Mark 7's In It.i Do Love The Availability Of Parts..but It's Sad To See Such Beautifull Cars Left For Dead........:(

This car is playing mind games with me.... I guess it heard all the talk I did about getting rid of her.... She's running so smooth. Except for the temperature gauge thing... I probably didn't tell you guys about that one, but I think the problem is that I need more anti-freeze. She rides towards the "a" in "normal". I try not to drive her that much, just around the block to keep her running. My brakes are still acting up. The "Check Anti-lock Brakes" light along with the "E-brake" light still comes on if I apply the brake to hard. If I ease into it, they don't come on.

Cursed

Ford is really letting me down lately.... Not only has my Lincoln gone on life support, but now my Sable is in the shop.... my cooling system needs to be replaced. I am cursed!!!

Have you called Millsboro Ford, 338 W Dupont Highway, Millsboro, DE 19966
(302) 934-8100 and asked for part number E8OY-2C231A?

Need An Accumulator

you guys mentioned an accumulator for 35?.. i'm majorly redoing a mark vii that i bought off someone. motor runs great.. i'm having to rework the brakes.. i need an accumulator.. i just paid out 250 for the pressure warning sensor and i cant afford 200 dollars more..

RJ at LVC

It's about time you got a Mark VII!

you guys mentioned an accumulator for 35?.. i'm majorly redoing a mark vii that i bought off someone. motor runs great.. i'm having to rework the brakes.. i need an accumulator.. i just paid out 250 for the pressure warning sensor and i cant afford 200 dollars more..

You also need to start your own thread instead of resurrecting one some Dude made a year ago ... and yes, I can bust CableDude's stones because I've done it in my driveway as well :)

Members online

Back