Road Noise

SurfjaxLS

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
What have you guys done to deal with the abnormal amount of road noise when driving with the windows down. I've been in a lot of cars where this isn't a problem. I turn my radio up almost to the point of distortion just to hear it. I know I can't eliminate the problem, just want to reduce it some.

:feedback

SurfjaxLS said:
What have you guys done to deal with the abnormal amount of road noise when driving with the windows down. I've been in a lot of cars where this isn't a problem. I turn my radio up almost to the point of distortion just to hear it. I know I can't eliminate the problem, just want to reduce it some.

:feedback

i turn my radio up as well. :Beer

thats only cuz i dont want to replace my sway bar bushings yet... and thats most likely whats causing the noise.... mines not really a road noise, persay, its more of a clunking noise that happens with the windows up OR down. so we might be thinking of 2 different things....

what kind of tires do you have on there... some tires are not that great when it comes to road noise...

or just buy an amp so that you can turn the radio up with less distortion. there -- problem solved!! :L

luckieleo said:
i turn my radio up as well. :Beer

thats only cuz i dont want to replace my sway bar bushings yet... and thats most likely whats causing the noise.... mines not really a road noise, persay, its more of a clunking noise that happens with the windows up OR down. so we might be thinking of 2 different things....

what kind of tires do you have on there... some tires are not that great when it comes to road noise...

or just buy an amp so that you can turn the radio up with less distortion. there -- problem solved!! :L

Hey there...........so you've got a clunking going on in your front end??? I had that problem too. I ended up getting the lower ball joints replaced under warranty but the clunk was still there. After talking to a few FLM techs, the rattle was either going to be the stabilizer links or the stabilizer (sway) bar. Not a big deal, right? WRONG. It turns out that Ford doesn't make the bushings for the stabilizer (sway) bar.........you have to buy the whole bar. That is a little bit over $100 and it is a real fun job to replace (feel the sarcasm?) The links are under $30 dollars a piece and since you have to take them off to do the stabilizer bar, you might as well replace those too. Oh yeah, and since I figured I was having fun tearing apart my suspension, I did struts too. Needless to say, after all that was said and done, there is no more rattle. Hope this helps.........

Correct me if I'm wrong, however I think he is talking more about the wind noise that travels throughout the car while the windows are open. This is something that I too have noticed and cannot figure out how to fix it other that keep them closed and use the a/c.

m1i2k9e said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, however I think he is talking more about the wind noise that travels throughout the car while the windows are open. This is something that I too have noticed and cannot figure out how to fix it other that keep them closed and use the a/c.

i dont think thats fixable.
the way the ls is designed, the wind blows right at your face if the windows are all the way down. some cars you can have the windows all the way down without the wind blowing your hair all over the place. just get used to it. :L

SurfjaxLS,
here is something to try. It helps stop the buffeting when the front windows are open.... Just open the rear windows about 2-3 inches. You'll notice the difference.
Lincolnlov

Get a louder stereo...problem solved...just over 1000w should do it :woowoo2:

Other than that I think you're SOL

I've got 1000 watts to the subs, but no amp or even better speakers installed yet for mids and highs.

that may be your problem, you have enought bass going throught the system, now you just need to focus on the highs, i noticed a huge difference when replacing all three sets of 5x7s with boston. right now theyre still runnning off the factory amp but still a huge difference. i dont have my subs hooked up yet, after replacing brakes and resonators im offically broke

Actually, I noticed this too with all four windows all of the way down. So far, putting the back windows up a few extra inches seems to be helping..

Thanks for the feedback. Has anyone tried dynamat, second skin, etc. on the doors?

Yeah, if your fronts are open, crack the rears a bit.

If I drive around with all my windows open and the sunroof, it gets a bit noisy. If I roll the fronts up there is a lot less noise and wind turbulence. This is fine even at 70+.

Other cars I have owned were this way and each had it's peculiarities about what windows and how much they like to have open.

Jim Henderson

Unfortunately, I lack a sunroof, so I kinda need the fronts down to get some air in my face.

DLS8K said:
It turns out that Ford doesn't make the bushings for the stabilizer (sway) bar.........you have to buy the whole bar.

Is yours a sport model? I just bought and installed the bushings in mine a couple of weeks ago from the dealer. $10.00 each. The labor was a major PITA though!

I heard they did a bar re-design though.

lsbit said:
Is yours a sport model? I just bought and installed the bushings in mine a couple of weeks ago from the dealer. $10.00 each. The labor was a major PITA though!

I heard they did a bar re-design though.
Yeah, I have the sport version. I had told the dealership to order the front bushings and then they send me the whole bar with the explanation that that is the way they are making it now..........beats the hell out of me. But yeah, labor to replace the bar is a real fun time since you have to disconnect stabilizer links (i had to cut mine off), lower A-arms, etc. Fun fun fun........

DLS8K said:
Yeah, I have the sport version. I had told the dealership to order the front bushings and then they send me the whole bar with the explanation that that is the way they are making it now..........beats the hell out of me. But yeah, labor to replace the bar is a real fun time since you have to disconnect stabilizer links (i had to cut mine off), lower A-arms, etc. Fun fun fun........

I get a rattle at low speeds through neighborhoods. (about 20 mph) I have the 100k mile B2B warranty, do you think this would be covered under that?

So does anyone know anything about the actual road noise of the car with the windows up? Mine is pretty horrible. I have Continental tires on the factory 16" wheels. Anyone got any ideas on how to muffle the sound cause I would definately like to do something about it.

crm2kmsu said:
I get a rattle at low speeds through neighborhoods. (about 20 mph) I have the 100k mile B2B warranty, do you think this would be covered under that?

If it happens on bumpy roads alot and sounds like it's coming from up front it is most likely loose brake pads. If the calipers weren't tightened up correctly the pads can rattle enough so tht the whole neighborhood can hear.

Visalize said:
So does anyone know anything about the actual road noise of the car with the windows up? Mine is pretty horrible. I have Continental tires on the factory 16" wheels. Anyone got any ideas on how to muffle the sound cause I would definately like to do something about it.

If it is a hum that increases in pitch with speed your tires are shot...some just get noisy with age...mostly the cheap ones.

The LS already has some of the best sound deadening tech on the market. Not a whole lot more you can do...

Thing is my tires are like brand new, and they are Continental which I heard were pretty good and expensive. It's definately something that increases the faster I am going.

like my man said early just juice ur radio and u wont hear anythin,,lol

if u pay attention to every lil snap,crackle and pop, u will drive urself nuts with this car,, it makes noise on good days and on bad days it makes noise,,,

wait till the fall and winter when everythin is cold,,lol u will hear every noise u can think of.

pay attention to really bad noises,, but lil things just chalk it up to a daily wear n tear.

think this forum is awesome and has been great help to me,,

BUT, i think the more people read about a problem that kinda sounds like theres but really has nuttin to do with theres,, they race to there car, and drive.

lookin for the problem that really isnt there, and stress if they feel somethin kinda sorta, like there issue,,lol

then they think OMG i need a new engine, cause i heard a sqeake on the tires,,lol

kinda like before u wanted a LS u hardly saw one,, but once u were set on one and lookin adn bought one,, than u noticed LS's every damn place,,

Ok, so I did the swerving thing they recommended in that thread, and I think its the bearings on my right side. After I did this I kinda realized it sounded just like my one friends car when he needed all new bearings except his was alot more noticeable.

Does anyone know how much it would cost to get that fixed on one wheel and if it would be covered under warranty?

It should be covered under warranty. If it isn't it shouldn't be that much, as long as the bearing isn't sealed into the hub.

Members online

Back