Rough idle at start?

ZB00B00LSv8

LVC Member
Reaction score
Ok so sometimes when I start my car it has this really jerky feeling. When I put it in reverse it jerks quite a bit until I put it in drive and get going at least 7 or 8 mph and then it kind of "kicks" into gear and everythings fine until I start it up and it does it again (its not everytime I start it). What could be the cause of this? A mechanic told me it was because my car was low on fuel at the time I questioned him but since Ive maintained a pretty nice gas supply despite the rising prices and I only put the 91+ from shell or chevron and even at a healthy supply still get the shaking at start up from time to time. Any ideas?? Thanks :)

Mine does it as well. 06 with 63K miles. I just started really noticing it. I figured it was cold. But its kinda been on my mind. I was going to mention it when I have my brakes done this week.

yes yes its a 2003 and I have 108,000+ miles on it. I actually just had all my coils replaced (for free! thanks to ford :) ) about a year ago. Could they be going bad already? And its not like I rough increase in speed it goes away once I start to go. Its just normally there when I first start up and while reversing out of a parking spot until I put it in gear and rive off. Then its like nothing was wrong?

^
Could be fuel injector..

Short, under 100K, you can stress test the coils and if they fail, they will replace them for free..

I didn't think the recall on the coils was including the 06. This might sound dumb but I don't know about doing a stress test ?? Umm I occasionally get curious and punch it up from about 5mph to 70 just to make sure everything feels right and shifting good. I did that a lot on the 00 when it just wasn't driving or feeling right. Ill check at the LM dealer. I'd rather them do it than me having to pay ! Ya know !

Yup. Its a bunch of crap ! I went through coils constantly like everyone else with a Gen I v8 but I didn't change the VCGs till about the 3rd COP total replacement. I only bothered replacing a single COP once then I just did them all once I was in there. I knew if I didn't one would go bad in about a month.

The issue is supposed to be fixed with the 06.

i dont think any of the other 06 owners have replaced theirs yet.

so i have a similar problem. it comes and goes. MPG is also pretty crappy. probably coils dying huh?

yes yes its a 2003 and I have 108,000+ miles on it. I actually just had all my coils replaced (for free! thanks to ford :) ) about a year ago. Could they be going bad already? And its not like I rough increase in speed it goes away once I start to go. Its just normally there when I first start up and while reversing out of a parking spot until I put it in gear and rive off. Then its like nothing was wrong?

Unless you see blue smoke when this happens or you hear rattling coming from the engine,then you have one or more fuel injectors leaking. The symptoms you describe are classic of this. As it gets worse, the engine will get to be hard to start.

thats what i thought read on another post . i just figured it was cold and she was fussy !

I found some on ebay for around 165 IIRC for a full set. That was for a gen 1 V8 though.

Don't think they would be tough to change.

Unless you see blue smoke when this happens or you hear rattling coming from the engine,then you have one or more fuel injectors leaking. The symptoms you describe are classic of this. As it gets worse, the engine will get to be hard to start.

Bringing back old post...

Today I started the car when the engine was cold, had kinda rough idle. Drove ok, stopped to eat 2 miles away.

Started the car 1 hour later, whiteish blue smoke came out... gave it some gas and got a little more smoke... then it cleared up. Idle was ok. Drove 2 miles home.

This is the only time I have seen smoke, it caught my attention immediately.

I was thinking a coil going bad... but then the smoke at startup made me read the forums again.

Ideas? One or more fuel injectors leaking?

Bringing back old post...

Today I started the car when the engine was cold, had kinda rough idle. Drove ok, stopped to eat 2 miles away.

Started the car 1 hour later, whiteish blue smoke came out... gave it some gas and got a little more smoke... then it cleared up. Idle was ok. Drove 2 miles home.

This is the only time I have seen smoke, it caught my attention immediately.

I was thinking a coil going bad... but then the smoke at startup made me read the forums again.

Ideas? One or more fuel injectors leaking?

Blue smoke = oil burning.

Oil burning = PCV problem, bad valve stem seals, or bad rings.

Members online

Back