Rough Idle question

zero18

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 LS V6
when i start the car theres a rough idle (sometimes so bad it shakes the whole car) if i rev the gas (like full pedal for a second) once or twice the idle becomes normal.

any ideas what might cause this??

Thanks!!

I have a 02 LS V6
when i start the car theres a rough idle (sometimes so bad it shakes the whole car) if i rev the gas (like full pedal for a second) once or twice the idle becomes normal.

any ideas what might cause this??

Thanks!!

The most likely cause is that your IAC is starting to stick. You can replace it, or take it off and clean it really good with throttle-body-safe cleaner and put it back on. Cleaning doesn't always work, but it's probably worth a try.

The second most likely suspect is that your PCV plumbing may have a rupture at the PCV elbow.

i have the exact same issue....wish it was like that on purpose...shakes and has a raunchy idle like it has a big cam...haha..reminds me of the stang days...guess i got a good direction to go and fix it now...thanks

Pcv leak

Most likely PCV boots or elbow cracked. check it by removing pcv boot at throttle body it should get rough idle, if no change, then you have crack/opening in hose somewhere. the hose goes from throttle body to back of engine, down under intake manifold, sometimes you get a split rear boot, just pull up on it and you might see the split, otherwise you need to remove the intake manifold to repair the rubber elbow, WE ALL MUST DO THIS REPAIR.

As the boys indicated above, could be either the IAC or the PCV elbow. I would try to clean that IAC first. I just had to replace mine but when I cleaned it, it actually idled marginally better for a couple of weeks. That PCV elbow is a biatch, hope it's the IAC.

Good luck.

Thanks, i will give it a shot.
already did the PCV elbow.. that is a huge pain.

ok,

if you already did the elbow, then check the boots at each end of the plastic line that goes from throttle body back to the PCV elbow, those things split at the boots, most likely the IAC valve if you never have replaced it. They are about $50 for a new one.

Members online

No members online now.
Back