seemed fine - now won't start

MarkVa1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Did some searching thru the threads - wife drove about 35 highway miles to work this morning and said the car ran fine. after work - it wouldn't start. It's cranking just fine, no warning lights or anything unusual. No alarm issues or anything like that. Jump starting didn't make a difference.

It sounds exactly like a car that has run out of gas - cranks and cranks but never gets going. Dashboard says 76 miles to empty and shows just under 1/4 tank. Is parked on a slight slope with the front lower than the back, but it's not a severe slope, maybe 3%.

I replaced the fuel filter about 3 months ago. Changed the oil yesterday. Checked the fuel shut off switch adjacent to the break pedal, but it is depressed so that seems normal.

From what I've read on here - maybe a blown fuse on the fuel pump? Seems odd that it would run fine for a decent commute in the morning and then not start after that, but cranks just fine.

Could the slope have anything to do with it? I would think that would be a big issue with lots of threads if low fuel (less than 1/4 tank) results in starting issues.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark.

thanks - it's at the dealer getting the $88 diagnostic! I'm hoping for some good news....

Yeah, I have no idea. Could you hear the pump at all?

A bad MAF can cause this, but then so can about a hundred other things.

dealer said it was the main fuel pump - $775 later it's apparently fixed and ready for me to pick up.....

I saw the part online for $240 - but would have to tow the vehicle home and take the time off work to coordinate that.....

I love building up a supply of tools and such to work on vehicles, only to have it die without notice in a parking lot 35 miles from home! I'm going to go drink a 6 pack at least....

thanks for your ideas and help!

Members online

Back