"Service Parking Brake" light

JoshCrews

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently replaced both rear wheel bearings and am now getting a "Service Parking Brake" warning light. The light doesnt come on until you have driven 5-10 miles. It goes off after you restart the car, but it returns in a few miles. Any ideas on what I may have bumped while changing the wheel bearings?

Check the parking brake cables on both sides. I assume that you don't use the parking brake?
After you correct whatever is wrong, or if you don't see anything wrong, set and release the parking brake a couple of times to readjust it.

Mine just lit up this morning and stays on while driving. Is this indication of a sensor going bad? Any idea how to clear the issue?

Mine just lit up this morning and stays on while driving. Is this indication of a sensor going bad? Any idea how to clear the issue?

Normally, it clears after a driving cycle (as long as you use the parking brake when you park). If it is a real fault, then it won't clear. You'll need a Ford specific scan tool if it doesn't clear on its on in order to see what the problem is. Otherwise, inspect the ends of the parking brake cables where they connect to the calipers. Sometimes the plastic piece at the end breaks.

If it does clear on its own, sometimes it is an early warning that you battery is starting to fail.

You don't say what gen Lincoln LS you have but if it is a 2nd gen try reseting the e brake by putting your foot on the brake and hold down then set the e brake.

could also mean one of your calipers is bad and could be leaking fluid, check the levels first and calipers

No, it can't!

The parking brake system is electrical/mechanical and does not interact with the hydraulic braking system at all.

You don't say what gen Lincoln LS you have but if it is a 2nd gen try reseting the e brake by putting your foot on the brake and hold down then set the e brake.

The gen I LS does not / can not produce a "service parking brake" light or message.

I have the same issue it happens when it gets really cold ex. snow.. But since the weather been getting better I have no issues. It really annoyed me @ first

Mine is a Gen II (2005 LS8 sport); I use the parking brake everyday as I live on a hill.

I use mine everytime I park, I get the error randomly. Yet it still works the nexttime. It's weird, but I have gotten used to it.

I use mine everytime I park, I get the error randomly. Yet it still works the nexttime. It's weird, but I have gotten used to it.

There's a TSB for that issue specifically on some 2004s. It calls for complete replacement of the module. I don't think that its a real problem, and I think that you can continue as it is and the parking brake will still function correctly.

I got this same error yesterday a few times. It cleared on its own and was not there on startup but eventually came back. This morning I also got the check advance track message. Any ideas?

I did change the battery about a month ago

I got this same error yesterday a few times. It cleared on its own and was not there on startup but eventually came back. This morning I also got the check advance track message. Any ideas?

I did change the battery about a month ago

I'd start by checking the voltage while the car is running.

Anyone have any findings that may be a trend for this issue? I don't want to just throw money at the problem. However, I'd rather take the advice from some LS owners. I appreciate it.

there are a few different problems with the "service parking brake" light... iot doesn't seem to always be the same problem as with a lot of things on this car. first and foremost, it tends to be an early warning that your battery is reaching the end of its life.

Yeah,mine just did this(SVC parking brake message) and after applying it and releasing it a few times,the message stayed on.
BUT after about 30 miles of driving,it disappeared.It works just fine,and my battery is really strong.Thanks,Joe! don-ohio :)^)

Check the parking brake cables on both sides. I assume that you don't use the parking brake?
After you correct whatever is wrong, or if you don't see anything wrong, set and release the parking brake a couple of times to readjust it.

Check the alternator. Mine was being a sporadic PITA with the previous and new battery (both NAPA Legend Group 65).
Turns out the alternator was dying and finally croaked. After replacing it, all was well.
Dealership pulled low voltage codes for the EPB.

Last year when the one of the solenoids in the DCCV was shorting out, it caused enough EMI/RFI (static noise) that it also effected the brake module. Once the DCCV was replaced the issue with the service brake message when away.

Lately I was getting the service brake message again. Then I found that a slider pin in the caliper bracket on the passenger rear was frozen. After I fixed the frozen pin and installed new rotors / pads, I have not gotten the service brake message again (knocking on wood).

Since I do have a 2004 and I am not 100% sure if the factory original module was replaced by the PO and I am not sure that the current battery will last the winter, I am also not sure that the service brake message will stay away either.

Last year when the one of the solenoids in the DCCV was shorting out, it caused enough EMI/RFI (static noise) that it also effected the brake module. Once the DCCV was replaced the issue with the service brake message when away.

I have had the same problem with a bad DCCV causing service parking brake messages. I was always able to reset the message by shutting the car off then restarting. I found that my parking brake worked just fine, but I had no heat control on the passenger side ( and no A/C on pass side ). I replaced the DCCV and heat control and A/C returned and the service parking brake messages went away.

My thanks to the guy who responded in one of the other service parking brake threads with a simple:
DCCV:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back