Shocks Or Struts

All LSes have coil-over shocks at all 4 corners.

I don't mean to doubt your knowledge, but why does every auto site call them struts? I am going to be replacing mine in the next couple of weeks and was in the middle of searching for these parts when I came across this thread.
Secondly, are the Monroe Sensa-Trac "Struts" (part numbers 71345/71368) a good set?

Thanks in advance! George

I don't mean to doubt your knowledge, but why does every auto site call them struts? ...

They call them struts because they look like struts, but they really aren't. If you ever changed the struts on a car with struts and then changed the shocks on the LS, you'd know they weren't the same by a long shot.

Real plain and simple - a suspension with struts does not have an upper control arm, period. The LS was upper control arms in both the front and rear suspension. That means no matter what they may look like, the LS has shocks both in the front and rear.

Then you ask why are they somethings referred to as struts by some; people, sites, stores, parts corners, etc...? Because the vast majority of cars built in the last 30+ years (also mostly FWD) had struts in their front and also in the rear suspension.

A strut is a shock that also serves as a control arm. The LS has coil-over shocks.

I just got some KYB fronts from Summit. I have not put them on yet though.

I had Monroe's for a few months before I returned them. They were HORRIBLE!!!!

I have KYB in the rear and Motorcraft in front (I was lucky enough to snag them when they were still available). The KYB's are fine... no difference at all.

So leave the Sensatracks alone? Im looking to get some quality shocks for my car and having a garage put them in but I don't want to have them put in some BS and get charged for it.

I wouldn't put them on my bicycle......

Believe it or not. OEM (Motorcraft) are the way to go. I'm sure KYB or Bilstein are also quality.

One of my early-this-summer projects is to actually fabricate the upper mounts to enable the use of double-adjustable Koni coil-overs on my car. Shocks are setting on my shelf.

KS

Even if they're a quality part, aftermarket shocks usually don't have the same damping rate as stock. If you're looking for a stock ride with stock springs, OEM/Motorcraft is the way to go. If you're installing stiffer/lower springs, get a good adjustable shock so that you can fine tune the ride quality. I haven't researched what's available for the LS, but I've had good results with KONI adjustable shocks on another car.

Monroe sells shock/spring combos are designed to work together, but these usually result in a much softer ride than stock. Grandma might like them, but most people on an enthusiast site wouldn't.

Members online

No members online now.
Back