Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors

Xrumer

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
For the ppl who have Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors do they make a lot of noise/grinding when stopping?

How well do the zink ones hold up in weather...?

Thanks

James

The zinc plating on mine have held up nice ... had them on my 93 since 2006 Put them on my 94 also ... and winters in Wisconsin.

I don't notice any noise when braking ... but just to let you know the drilled and slotted is only for show not necessary for improving stopping. Since Rotors are all now vented they dissipate heat as good if not better than the drilled and slotted ...

This topic has been discussed in depth in the Mark VIII forum ...

For the ppl who have Slotted and Cross Drilled Rotors do they make a lot of noise/grinding when stopping?

Thanks

James

Sometimes there is a swooshing noise.......

Thanks

James

Quiet when braking, mine sounds like a street sweeper coming down the road on normal rotation. Just depends on what rotor design you go with as to what noise they emit.

I have drilled rotors only. When you buy them from any of the guys from ebay or somewhere else, you can ask them to be drilled only. I done that for both the LS and Mountaineer and they are great. I did notice with both sets, that when new they make a grinding noise, but that is the zinc being worn off by the pads. Once that was done they became quiet.

You are right about them being for show, they do help alittle, especially on the Mountaineer rears. They are solid rotors not vented. But the best brake upgrade is the stainless steel brakes lines. Those will really wake up your stopping power.

i've got the slotted & drilled rotors with the ceramic pads and stainless lines from the Rotorpros GB and they do not make any more noise than the OEM's that where on it before, i have had them on for a couple of months now and the edges have not started to rust yet, if you are looking for better stoping, get the stainless brakeline as they do make the biggest difference

Mine have held up well in Michigan winters and they make a little noise like a worn pad but not what i would call grinding.

newbrakes.jpg

mine are EBC drilled and slotted , quietest rotors ive ever owned, not a noise out of them. Ive stubbed my toe on them a few times though....oh wait...they arnt on the car yet! DOH!

Cross drilled and slotted cannot be expected to do anything for performance if you're going to stay with stock size. All you did when you installed cross drilled rotors was lose heat absorption ability. Granted, they cool better but it's like a catch 22, lose ability to absorb heat, then gain cooling attributes.

If you like cross drilled, get a big brake kit (BBK). Then you can have your cake and eat it too.

For anyone that wants to argue about the cross drilling improving cooling, explain why cross drilled rotors always crack at the holes. Because they cool there. I've only had 10-12 sets of drilled rotors so I can't claim to have endless experience but they all cracked eventually (although the cracking on the BBK's was pretty minute), and usually around the time they were due replacement anyway. I didn't have very good luck with stock sized cross drilled rotors (short life and issues with fairly low mileage). I've had excellent experience with the BBK cross drilled rotors. The BBK's generally last as long as stock and give excellent performance.

I've been running stock cross drilled rotor applications for years, and never had cracking problems, Rode.

I don't know about aftermarket though. I'm running a set of Disk Brakes are us (Stay away from those morons) rotors on a Mark VIII, and no cracking there either. Though, there is less than 15000 miles on those rotors.

do you get a lot more brake dust with d/s rotors? ive heard that they make a lot more dust and my wheels are a pain to clean already so ive never purchased them. would a harder pad help that

I went with the EBC slotted, and dimpled...not drilled thru.
I know what the "experts" say, but my seat of the pants says different. I originally went with Raybestos on my F-150, and those were cross drilled. They lasted 2 times as long as OE rotors, especially in heavy trailer towing.
So, when I warped an OE rotor on my LS, I went with the EBC units. They stop better, and are almost as quiet as the oe units, I ruined. I also swear by ceramic pads. They are just as good as semi metalic, and leave no dust.

The warpage problem could have something to do with the fact that they were OE(cheap Ford) rotors, and the EBC units are a better quality iron. But, I DRIVE the car, and I feel much better hauling it down with what I am running now, compared to the OE crapola.

anyone have any sucess with big brake kits like brembo or stop tech?

I had some slotted and crossdrilled rotors I got off ebay and the front ones made a whirly turbine like noise when coming to a stop off a highway ramp.
So I put the stock front rotors back on and noise went away.

Members online

Back