Smoke And Burning Smell From Hood...

Stinkin Linkin

LVC Member
Reaction score
jUST REPLACED MY VALVE COVER GASKETS AND ALL THE O-RINGS. GOT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER. THERES SMOKE COMING FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE HOOD, RIGHT BY THE WINSHIELD. ALMOST THROUGH THOSE BLACK PLASTICS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WINSHIELD. IT HAPPENED BEFORE I CHANGED EM AND I'VE DRIVEN IT FOR ABOUT 200 MILES PRETTY HARD. SHOULD IT GO AWAY OR IS IT ANOTHER PROBLEM? SMELLS LIKE CRAP. NOT BURNING OIL, I DONT KNOW WHAT THE SMELL IS. AND I ASKED SOME IDIOT MECHANIC YESTERDAY AT A GAS STATION AND HE SAID HE DIDNT KNOW. SOME HELP? ITS NOT ALOT OF SMOKE , BUT I NOTICE IT AND YOU CAN SMELL IT. DOESNT REALLY SEEM TO BE AN ISSUE WHEN I'M DRIVING, BUT THEN AGAIN I'M USUALLY GOING ATLEAST 60 SO IT WWOULD BE HARD TO TELL MAYBE.
WHERE'S QUIK LS TO ANSWER THE QUESTION?

yep - the bolts on the lower back side of the valve cover aren't torqued right - and it's leaking oil onto the exhaust manifold right below it. (or you spilled some oil on them when removing the cover). Those are the really tough ones to get to and are usually the one that leak.

If you take a flashlight and look at the exhaust header - you'll see the oil - it doesn't take much to make a lot of smoke.

double - triple check the VC bolts (in the right sequence) and then clean up all the oil off the engine and exhaust header - you'll likely have to get under the car to get all the oil the is on the underside of the exhaust manifold.

I had a similar problem when I replaced my VC gaskets. The gasket wasn't seated correctly on the rear driverside, when I tightened the bolts I ended up tearing the gasket. Had a small leak just like you describe. Check it out w/ a flashlight like quick said. If you still can't see it get a mirror to help you out. Good luck

that really sucks. this whole vc replacement has been since last friday night. just got it on the road yesterday. now this. i'm so sick of this. what are the chances maybe its coolant or a hose burning. something besides the f***ing driver side vc bolts. i hate my life. bye

whats that about the right sequence though? i tightened from the middle out, was that not correct?

Well, its always easier the second time around if that any consolation. It took me about 2hrs a side 1st time out. The second time was about 45 minutes if that.
If it was coolant it wouldn't smell so bad, it smells like sugar if you ask me. As far as it being a hose . . . double check and make sure all the stuff you disconnected is back in its proper retaining clip and that nothing is resting against the header.
Best advice I can give is; don't get frustrated, take your time and go easy. Less chance of making a mistake . . . if all else fails, grab a 6-pack and take a deep breath.

Stinkin Linkin said:
jUST REPLACED MY VALVE COVER GASKETS AND ALL THE O-RINGS. GOT EVERYTHING BACK TOGETHER. THERES SMOKE COMING FROM THE DRIVERS SIDE OF THE HOOD, RIGHT BY THE WINSHIELD. ALMOST THROUGH THOSE BLACK PLASTICS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE WINSHIELD. IT HAPPENED BEFORE I CHANGED EM AND I'VE DRIVEN IT FOR ABOUT 200 MILES PRETTY HARD. SHOULD IT GO AWAY OR IS IT ANOTHER PROBLEM? SMELLS LIKE CRAP. NOT BURNING OIL, I DONT KNOW WHAT THE SMELL IS. AND I ASKED SOME IDIOT MECHANIC YESTERDAY AT A GAS STATION AND HE SAID HE DIDNT KNOW. SOME HELP? ITS NOT ALOT OF SMOKE , BUT I NOTICE IT AND YOU CAN SMELL IT. DOESNT REALLY SEEM TO BE AN ISSUE WHEN I'M DRIVING, BUT THEN AGAIN I'M USUALLY GOING ATLEAST 60 SO IT WWOULD BE HARD TO TELL MAYBE.
WHERE'S QUIK LS TO ANSWER THE QUESTION?
Why is the mechanic an idiot? He isn't the one that messed up your valve cover gaskets.

Well I get to join the club of having my valve cover gasket replaced! This is the 2nd LS that I have owned and this is the second time on 2 different LS's that I'm replacing the valv cover gaskets. What's the deal with that, was there a recall on this or why didn't they fix it so it doesn't happen again? last 3 years I have replaced more valve cover gaskets on the LS then I have had on any other cars in the last 20 years. I smelled something burning and then I saw the puff of smoke come from under the hood on the driver's side and right in front of the driver's side window on my 02 LS. I knew from my past experience from my 01 what the problem was. I only have 33500 miles on this 02 and my VC gaskets are shot. Not really happy about it but I LOVE my LS and I need a car to drive. Are there still problems with the VC gaskets on newer cars then mine and if there are, why isn't Lincoln doing something to fix it and why wasn't there some kind of recall notice if they have known about this for years????

Members online

No members online now.
Back