smoke in cabin

04charcoal

LVC Member
Reaction score
Happy new year to all,

I have a 04 V6 and it has an c.o.p. problem, and I ordered all 6 online and was waiting for them to arive. It's been about 2 weeks since I started the car and today I thought I would give it a go. Well, with in 30 sec. I started to smell some kind of smoke not sure what, but maybe oil. About another 30 seconds later it was fully visible in the cabin so I turned off the car.This was the first time I left the car sitting at all, just wonder if it is because of sitting or somthing worse.

thanks

There should never be smoke in the cabin, even if the engine is leaking oil and burning it on the exhaust, it shouldn't be sucked into the AC system. Your hood cowl seals may be bad.

If it was smoke that came from somewhere in the dash and not the engine, then it is an electrical issue and is very serious. The interior can go up in flames very quickly.

I have been having problems with heated seats lately and I did turn them on maybe it came from there. I really dont know.

just did a quick search and it seems to be a common issue with what is called the intake manifold tuning valves there are 2 and that the o-rings need to be replaced

you could see the smoke in the cabin or you could just smell something smoky? if you could see the smoke where was it coming from?

if you press the recirculate button next to the AC button, and make sure that both the AC and the recirculate feature are running, you will pressurize the cabin. as a result, engine compartment smells and 99% of external environment smells will not be detectable inside the cabin

where did you read about intake manifold tuning valves? share the links please.

the seats can cause nasty smells, but i wouldnt characterize it as smoky. just change the filters underneath the seat to get rid of a nasty seat smell. i ran mine under water and sprayed cologne on them, solved the stink coming from the seats.

i have an 05 v6 and occasionally get a burning/smoking scent come into the cabin. seems to do it when im on a hill and only when its cold. no clue what it is. PCV was dripping onto exhaust manifold, got a new PCV and problem occurs much more infrequently, but i still smell it occasionally. i run a pressurized cabin all the time and it really contributes to healthier in-cabin air quality in my opinion

just did a quick search and it seems to be a common issue with what is called the intake manifold tuning valves there are 2 and that the o-rings need to be replaced

Yes, if the smoke originated under the hood, that is a good possibility.

so I have a leaky valve cover gasket, it leaks on the manifold. The gasket is fine, but a couple of the the threads int he back are striped out.

By what I read that Joe says, the reason I get the smokey smell in the cabin is the cowl seals?

I have also noticed very rarely that some smoke comes out of the steering column area

perhaps I need to do some sealing down there...

I tried re-tapping the holes to a little larger thread and used slightly larger bolts with some nylon spacers to replicate what is on there OEM, and it tightened down much better, may just need to do a new gasket in the spring.

It leaks less that an a quarter quart over the 3000mile oil change interval, so not a whole lot, maybe even less than that now.

you could see the smoke in the cabin or you could just smell something smoky? if you could see the smoke where was it coming from?

if you press the recirculate button next to the AC button, and make sure that both the AC and the recirculate feature are running, you will pressurize the cabin. as a result, engine compartment smells and 99% of external environment smells will not be detectable inside the cabin

where did you read about intake manifold tuning valves? share the links please.

the seats can cause nasty smells, but i wouldnt characterize it as smoky. just change the filters underneath the seat to get rid of a nasty seat smell. i ran mine under water and sprayed cologne on them, solved the stink coming from the seats.

i have an 05 v6 and occasionally get a burning/smoking scent come into the cabin. seems to do it when im on a hill and only when its cold. no clue what it is. PCV was dripping onto exhaust manifold, got a new PCV and problem occurs much more infrequently, but i still smell it occasionally. i run a pressurized cabin all the time and it really contributes to healthier in-cabin air quality in my opinion

Here is my repair thread where I changed out the IMT valves (among other things):
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=78654

There is a short version from our friends running the S-type:
http://www.jaguarforums.com/forum/s...ing-replacement-short-route-w-pics-faq-32135/

thanks for links, mine are seeping.
ill add this to my list..

Update

Finally got my coils in the mail ( cheap ebay ones ) $80 for all 6 with lifetime warranty, so what the hell. went to my trusted local shop and told him about the thread I found on here about the I.M.T.V. seals being a problem on the 3.0L V6. Sure enough both seals were leaking right on the exhaust. This was not a big deal to replace since the intake had to come off anyways. So for $250 + $80 I got all new COPs, motorcraft platinum plugs, new seals, and an oil change. I've been driving around for a week and no smoke or even a smell :D. anybody thinking of replacing there COPs should spend the extra $20 to change the seals even if they are not an issue.

...anybody thinking of replacing there COPs should spend the extra $20 to change the seals even if they are not an issue.

very true; i replaced my IMTV o-rings today while it was unseasonably warm. there is some good info in the two threads the other poster linked above, but i would not recommend the 'short' route because it takes the same amount of time and is really a pain in the a ss unless you are doing the upper IMTV only. i had to remove the cabin filter boxes to get the lower valve out, and that trashed all of the foam seals for the outer cabin air filter box. i read in the jag forum that anything 05 and older (all ls v6's) would have yellow o-rings which do not seal as well, so I would say if you are due for coils and have not done the IMTV o-rings to do them all at once by taking off the manifold. the rings are $9 thru the dealer but i bet you could get them cheaper if you shopped around, which i did not. i just happened to see it was going to be 65 degrees in ohio in mid january and got it done.

Members online

No members online now.
Back