Smoke out the vents

hellvez

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
While out driving today I noticed a small amount of smoke coming out of the dash vents the temp guage was normal I pulled over and looked under the hood and there was no obvious smoke coming from the motor but I did notice this
Picture069.jpg
I tried to push it in but it would not move could this be where the smoke is getting in? how do I get the plastic washer flush with the fire wall? love taps with a hammer?

Oh yea the smoke also had kind of a sweet smell made me hungry for pancakes

You got it. Your heater core is leaking my man. I wouldn't drive it too much longer, otherwise you will have a pond of coolant on your passenger floor. Time to replace, or bypass.

that plastic washer is from original assembly at the factory. its not meant to seal anything onc ethe car is built.

First, your looking at the AC lines. And as said, thats from factory and they are at almost every connection, including fuel lines.

The large black seal around those may never sit perfect.

And as said, if you getting smoke and steam out the vents and such, your heater core is about to go boom!

Thanks for the letting me know not to drive it I was about to head out, but i'll just wait till monday and take it to the shop.

is a new heater core a hard install or expensive part?

cheap part ,expensive install

AS mike said, its a cheap part, but the whole dash and center console have to be moved. You must also pressure check the new unit, before installation. Mine did this a couple of months ago. I simply bypassed it.

bypassing your heater core is only an option if you garage it all winter or live in a climate where a heater is not needed. i haven't replaced one in a lincoln, but have done one in a late 90's f-150. getting at it is the hardest part. took 12 hrs shop time.(1st time, learned some things) if you're handy, it's not hard, just very time consuming.

did you have the air on? I've had a couple times probably 3 over 15 years in 2 different vehicles where on a humid day (overcast, humid and raining)with the air on I got, well easyest way to describe it is fog out of my vents. smelled like air (no sweet smell)and scared the crap out of me.

Yea I was running the ac and it was hot day started happening after driving for about a hour and it was a misty smoke

Bypass is probably not a option for me since I live in canada and the mornings are gonna start getting cold.

once the dash is out any other parts deep in there I should check out? my mark has 93000 miles on it

Yea I was running the ac and it was hot day started happening after driving for about a hour and it was a misty smoke

Bypass is probably not a option for me since I live in canada and the mornings are gonna start getting cold.

once the dash is out any other parts deep in there I should check out? my mark has 93000 miles on it

if it didnt have a wierd smell its likely just water vapor. happens alot in hawaii with my old vr4.

well the shop said it was a min of a 8hour install and I would be looking at close to a grand for labour only, I contacted a mobile mechanic who will do it for $530cdn for labour which is like $490usd not to bad.

I wish I could do it myself but it's way over my head

Staff online

Members online

Back