Solenoid Pack & Valve Body

PMB12

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally heard from the service rep at the dealers today. Amazing thing because yesterday he said he'd be on vacation. Well, anyway, he said he ad good news and bad.

He told me I didn't need a transmission, but I needed a Solenoid Pack & Valve Body.

Then the bad news. He said I needed to pay $700 and they would pickup $500 of the cost. My 2001 LS V8 has 40,000 miles and is a few months out of warranty. I've been fighting with these guys for 3 days. A friend of mine that works at the dealership heard them say I knew too much about the After Warranty Adjustment and that I was a royal bitch. Nice bunch eh?

What's with these people an After Warranty Adjustment anyway. You'd think it was top secret stuff.

Well, I didn't give him an answer. He wasn't too happy about that . I told him I was a loyal customer had the car serviced only at their dealership, and to boot I just bought a new vehicle there on Monday. Said I'd be getting back to him.

Anyway, this evening I stopped at a mechanics I used to go to. Asked for prices on the Solenoid Pack and Valve Body. Something like $386 and $318 retail for each. Well that's the $700 I have to pay. So they're really not covering anything.

Should I give into this guy or should I go over his head? Not sure if I should mention that I know all he's doing is charging me retail for the parts and try to deal with him one more time.

Or....do you all think this is the best I'm going to do and tell him to go on and order the parts.

One other question...If anyone else has had this done is the tranny as good as new? Or should I just put in a new transmission?

I'm just spent after the events of the last few days. Why the heck do we need cars anyway? Public transportation is looking better everyday!

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

This site is great.....

Paula
:soapbox:

PMB12 said:
Hi All,

Finally heard from the service rep at the dealers today. Amazing thing because yesterday he said he'd be on vacation. Well, anyway, he said he ad good news and bad.

He told me I didn't need a transmission, but I needed a Solenoid Pack & Valve Body.

Then the bad news. He said I needed to pay $700 and they would pickup $500 of the cost. My 2001 LS V8 has 40,000 miles and is a few months out of warranty. I've been fighting with these guys for 3 days. A friend of mine that works at the dealership heard them say I knew too much about the After Warranty Adjustment and that I was a royal bitch. Nice bunch eh?

What's with these people an After Warranty Adjustment anyway. You'd think it was top secret stuff.

Well, I didn't give him an answer. He wasn't too happy about that . I told him I was a loyal customer had the car serviced only at their dealership, and to boot I just bought a new vehicle there on Monday. Said I'd be getting back to him.

Anyway, this evening I stopped at a mechanics I used to go to. Asked for prices on the Solenoid Pack and Valve Body. Something like $386 and $318 retail for each. Well that's the $700 I have to pay. So they're really not covering anything.

Should I give into this guy or should I go over his head? Not sure if I should mention that I know all he's doing is charging me retail for the parts and try to deal with him one more time.

Or....do you all think this is the best I'm going to do and tell him to go on and order the parts.

One other question...If anyone else has had this done is the tranny as good as new? Or should I just put in a new transmission?

I'm just spent after the events of the last few days. Why the heck do we need cars anyway? Public transportation is looking better everyday!

Thanks in advance for any help guys.

This site is great.....

Paula
:soapbox:
I had this done to my transmission and it is working great. As for your situation in dealing with this AWA and service rep., I would think you have a case to get it covered. That being said, whether or not they do it for you is another story. Some dealerships will opt to bend over backwards to help you out with your problem and others will simply brush you under the rug. It seems to me as though you are dealing with the second of the two. I would sit down and talk with the rep and work out a more feasible solution to your problem. There are people above him and more people above those people who could always change the decision of the service rep.

If all else fails, I would take the deal. A new transmission is nearly $1700. Hope everything works out for you. Stick to your guns and make them work for you...it is their job.

PMB12 said:

Shame on you! :)

The $700 sounds pretty good to get the job done. The problem really isn't the dealer, in that case anyway, as it is Lincoln having parts that fail so soon. On the other hand, if the dealer did that to me, someone higher up would hear about their attitude.

DLS,
My 03 Premium Sport had the same problem at just over 6K. The fix? A new solenoid pack and a valve body. In my case it was all done under warranty -- but it does work the way it should. Lincolnlov

I would press for the AWA and not pay the 700 bux. I have been in the same spot several times with the same parts. Take it to the Ford customer service folks. This problem is way too common for the customer to have to take it in the rear every time.

Try going to another dealership to see if they will do it under the AWA program. You might just be shopping a :q ty dealer. I would see if you could back out of the car deal you just made as well. See if you can get out under buyers remose laws or something.

Oh man! Listen to eL!! If you try to get out of the new car deal, the sales department would be all over the service department like ugly on an ape to get your problem handled. I mean big time. I wouldn't pay either...but if I decided to, I would only pay dealer cost on the part. I would want at least 40% off list. I would also tell him that you will supply the factory Ford parts yourself if he balks at that. Then go buy them from someone who will sell them to you right!

My lincoln is in for a new rear window pully system and they finally had the transmission specialst come in and he told me what I told him from here, I needed a new Solenoid Pack but he said nothing about the Vavle Body. I thought you had to replace both for a good result. I have no coverage so I will be paying full. $200 for the window and $700 for the Solenoid Pack. Before this they told me my transmission was ready to go and with the window they would only give me $3,500 for it. I about :q:q:q:q. It's fully equiped V8 2000 with a good bit of milee, almost at 80,000, but still. Anyway, for everyone else that did this I to would like to know specifically how well it work. Will I still have the delay from P to R. Will I still have rough upshifts and downshifts. Will they be gone completly or just more mild. Anything will help, thankyou.

Lucas05 3 said:
Before this they told me my transmission was ready to go and with the window they would only give me $3,500 for it. I about :q:q:q:q. It's fully equiped V8 2000 with a good bit of milee, almost at 80,000, but still.

WOW. Yea..they would list it for $14,000 most likely. The v8 Ranger that I traded in for my wife's LS was in pretty good shape and no mechanical issues. They gave me about $2500. They have it listed on their lot now for $7500. This is after the owner has driven it as his own for 8 months. I don't know if I should be really pissed off or honered, as I built the thing. :) You are always better selling outright...even if it is a PITA!

Lucas05 3 said:
My lincoln is in for a new rear window pully system and they finally had the transmission specialst come in and he told me what I told him from here, I needed a new Solenoid Pack but he said nothing about the Vavle Body. I thought you had to replace both for a good result. I have no coverage so I will be paying full. $200 for the window and $700 for the Solenoid Pack. Before this they told me my transmission was ready to go and with the window they would only give me $3,500 for it. I about :q:q:q:q. It's fully equiped V8 2000 with a good bit of milee, almost at 80,000, but still. Anyway, for everyone else that did this I to would like to know specifically how well it work. Will I still have the delay from P to R. Will I still have rough upshifts and downshifts. Will they be gone completly or just more mild. Anything will help, thankyou.

My LS ate 3 solinoid packs before the recent repair which involved a new S and a VB. Each time the SP was replaced I would begin having delays when shifting to reverse and upshift problems withing 12k to 15k miles.

I would contact 5 star and get a quote on the parts they will certainly be cheaper. The problem with trying to do the job yourself is the tranny fluid. There really is no easy way to refill the system so you are pretty much stuck with using the dealer.

Members online

Back