some times engine will not start

Bear

New LVC Member
Reaction score
AFTER DRIVING MY 97 MARK 8, IT DID NOT WANT TO START. IT WOULD TRY FOR A SPLIT SECOND THEN DIE.:eek: AFTER TRYING AND TRYING I LEFT IT THERE, CAME BACK CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER IT STARTED UP RUN FINE, BUT 2 DAYS AFTER THAT IT DID IT AGAIN.:eek: TOWED IT HOME AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP.I CAN HERE THE FUEL PUMP COME ON, TOOK THE LINE OFF OF FILTER AND CRANKED THE MOTOR OVER AND GAS CAME OUT. SO I DONT THINK ITS THE FUEL PUMP.:shifty: REALLY DONT HAVE A CLUE.:rolleyes: CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME , I LOVE THIS CAR BUT RIGHT KNOW SCARD TOO DEATH TO DRIVE IT. HELP:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

CAPS LOCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that said, does the anti theft light come on? might be a PATS key prob, if it doesn't see the chip, some sys will let the car start for like 5 sec then die and after a few times it will go into a 30 min lock down, do you have any other keys?

Last edited:
Crank sensor acting up. Try wiggling it around and unplugging and replugging it.

AFTER DRIVING MY 97 MARK 8, IT DID NOT WANT TO START. IT WOULD TRY FOR A SPLIT SECOND THEN DIE.:eek: AFTER TRYING AND TRYING I LEFT IT THERE, CAME BACK CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER IT STARTED UP RUN FINE, BUT 2 DAYS AFTER THAT IT DID IT AGAIN.:eek: TOWED IT HOME AND IT STARTED RIGHT UP.I CAN HERE THE FUEL PUMP COME ON, TOOK THE LINE OFF OF FILTER AND CRANKED THE MOTOR OVER AND GAS CAME OUT. SO I DONT THINK ITS THE FUEL PUMP.:shifty: REALLY DONT HAVE A CLUE.:rolleyes: CAN SOME ONE PLEASE HELP ME , I LOVE THIS CAR BUT RIGHT KNOW SCARD TOO DEATH TO DRIVE IT. HELP:confused: :confused: :eek: :eek:

ignition module

I Dont Think Its The Key. It Will Try To Start 20 Times For A Split Second. How Did You Get Your Car So Low. I Would Love To Go About 2" Lower After I Git It To Run Right. Ok The Crank Sensor Is There A Test For This? I Dont Have The Money To Buy One If I Dont Need It. All Of You People That Are Helping Me Are The Best.nothing In The World Is Better Than Good People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

won't start when hot? Check your positive and Negative battery terminals and wires. Easiest way to figure it out, try wiggling the terminals when you have your no start condition.

Crank sensor: $15. If you cant afford one, you bough the wrong car! Its just a pain to replace, but PULL THE SENSOR CONNECTOR and plug it back in. If it start, thats it.

PLEASE, PLEASE try this and don't turn this into a thread where a thousand suggestions are given and NONE tried.

Battery connection, good idea! And does it crank over at all?

the car turns over just fine hot or cold. this goes out to (unity,,,)the car runs right now, but sometimes only sometimes does it not start. then after it sits awile it starts up just fine,i have the right car and can afford it, i just really dont want to put 15 differant sensors on if i dont have to.

I had the same problem and it was the fuel pump going out. It would start 20 times and then all of a sudden it wouldn't. I would let it sit overnight and it would start up again and go 20 more times. Then do it again. Then it just started happening more often. Tell one day it flat out would not start. Changed the fuel pump, end of problem. Just an idea.

Greg

Its really sounds like a classic crank position sensor problem. Like we said, next time it wont start - dont walk away, unplug it and plug it back in. If it starts right up, then its it since USUALLY doing so will let the car start - go figure.

The sensor is located on the bottom of the timing chain cover on the passenger side. Its the only sensor in the area, the only other local wires are for the AC clutch. Its a squeeze type connector, squeeze to slide off. You may need a flash light to see. While its easy to fiddle with the plug, its not too easy to replace since the AC compressor has to be moved out of the way.

*off topic* but thats a "ray's switch" that drops the car like that, it confuses the computer to vent the suspension and put the car down, also its ONLY USED WHEN PARKED, also do a search for "sensor lowering" to drop around 1.5" ( you will need an alignment afterwords) i also have this done

Last edited:
Very off topic, what does that have to do with the car not starting? LOL :)

Very Very off topic:

I'm having a Latte at this time.

Chicken's reply wasn''t really OT, since the guy DID ask about it.

I Dont Think Its The Key. It Will Try To Start 20 Times For A Split Second. How Did You Get Your Car So Low. I Would Love To Go About 2" Lower After I Git It To Run Right. Ok The Crank Sensor Is There A Test For This? I Dont Have The Money To Buy One If I Dont Need It. All Of You People That Are Helping Me Are The Best.nothing In The World Is Better Than Good People!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alas, the lack of almolst any punctuation made his post somewhat hard to read.

All You People Out There Are Just Great.plum Full Of Info.sorry To Say The Weather Here In Ohio Sucks Right Now And My Baby Is Under The Blanket Were She Belongs. But As Soon As The Weather Break And The Salt Gets Off The Road Ill Get Her Out.chickenviii Give Me A Call At 419 465 4412 And Lets Talk Lower My Ride.for All My New Freinds You All Can Call Me Too, Lets Talk Mark 8. I Really Hate The Computer And It Hates Me Too. And My Spelling Really Sucks. Ok Back On Track, Were Is A Good Place To Buy A Fual Pump And A Ecm Unit.phone No. Are The Best For Me. Once Again Thank You All For The Help. You People Are Great !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First I would check what everyone stated about your crank sensor. If that checks out, then you might check and make sure your have fuel pressure and go from there. I went through these steps and mine ended up being the fuel pump. I got one for around 140.00. you might want to step up to a 255 pump. There are a lot of people here that know much more than I do and you will find that out. But, I strongly recommend you use the search function on the topic you are trying to figure out. Most of your answers will be there.

Good Luck

1. Invest in a fuel gague from Murrays or Autozone. It'll pay for it's self in no time.

2. Does it only do it when the vehicle gets hot? If so than it's the crank sensor.

3. You sure when you first start it that there are NO blinking red LED's anywhere or anythnig on the dash that says "Anti-Theft" or something along thoes lines?

Lets get our ducks in a row and start there. I'll be waiting for you...

"2. Does it only do it when the vehicle gets hot? If so than it's the crank sensor."

When my fuel pump went out it would quit starting whether it was cold or hot, it didn't matter. That's just my experience with it.

If your fuel pump went out, you won't be able to hear it prime when you put the key to the position right before it cranks... easy test to do.

Members online

Back