Speaker Replacement!!??

trikkle

LVC Member
Reaction score
Do you seriously have to take out the lining from behind the back seat to access the rear deck speakers?? I looked quickly on my lunch break and it apprears that way. Please tell me I'm wrong...

Do you seriously have to take out the lining from behind the back seat to access the rear deck speakers?? I looked quickly on my lunch break and it apprears that way. Please tell me I'm wrong...

You may be able to access them through the trunk, behind the trim piece. I can't remember for sure....

open the trunk and drop the entire assembly that holds the speakers and amp, should be about 6 bolts holding it in to the rear deck. Pull that whole thing out and the speakers are right on top. I just pulled mine out about 2 weeks ago.

Ok thanks. The few bolts that I saw were reversed making me think I had to come in throught the top but I will look again. Was it relatively easy to do? Also will those speakers amps work with aftermarket speakers, or on the originals only? I have the Alpine system.

It was easy, might have to tap it after you get all the bolts off to knock it loose but its no big deal. Im sure it would still work if you just change the speakers, I lost them when I installed an aftermarket radio. Dont forget to unplug the harness and take all the bolts out also before prying on it ;)

dont try to replace them with full range aftermarket speakers, they are subs and the radio will only send bass to them

My rear speakers are in the door. :confused:

That's what they tell me too at Best buy. I have had blown rear speakers since I got the car and it has always sounded like it comes from way in the back. But when I have gone to Best Buy or any where else, they say that they are in the doors. So which is it?

That's what they tell me too at Best buy. I have had blown rear speakers since I got the car and it has always sounded like it comes from way in the back. But when I have gone to Best Buy or any where else, they say that they are in the doors. So which is it?

On both of my LS's, the rear speakers are in the doors and subwoofers are on the rear shelf. I assume that all LS's are this way, but I don't know that for sure.

On both of my LS's, the rear speakers are in the doors and subwoofers are on the rear shelf. I assume that all LS's are this way, but I don't know that for sure.

you are correct as usual, all the rear speakers are in the rear doors, some LS's just dont come with the subs, and it is pretty common for the subs to be the first things blown, since they are a smaller size, they cant handle deep bass played loud, which the younger crowd is known for doing.

it sounds to me like your factory SUBS are blown. if you would like to check for yourself, turn the stereo on and turned up, and put your head near the bottom of the rear door while it is open (you should be able the see the grill mesh).make sure to listen to both doors, if the sound is good, then your rear speakers are fine, if the sound is bad, then the rear speakers ARE blown. if the bad sound is still comming from the rear deck lid then your subs are blown.

there you go now you just saved a trip to best buy

It was easy, might have to tap it after you get all the bolts off to knock it loose but its no big deal. Im sure it would still work if you just change the speakers, I lost them when I installed an aftermarket radio. Dont forget to unplug the harness and take all the bolts out also before prying on it ;)

the factory subs are very easy to make work with a aftermarket stereo, you just need to buy the right harness and plug it in.

Thanks for all the input guys. The subs are the rear deck are the ones that are blown on mine. I bought two sets of Kenwood 3 way 6x8's. I will replace the subs with one set, and the rear door speakers with the other. I also have a seperate powered kenwood 10" sub that I'm wiring seperately in the trunk. Pioneer deck will be running the show. Should sound good when I get it done, I'll let you know.

You can also do a speaker test if you are unsure which speakers are blown. While the radio is on (not a CD), hold preset buttons 3 and 6 together. The stereo will go through a self-test sending sound to each speaker and subwoofer. This will help you figure out which one is blown. My LS didn't come with factory subs or amp, does anyone know where I can find a cheaper working set? Let me know.

If you put those 6x8's in the rear deck, they will distort at higher volumes... Those are subs that you are replacing and they will prolly have a crossover wired in between the head unit and the speakers somewhere, meaning that only low frequencies will be allowed thru... A low-pass sound filter if you will. If you are gonna put a sub in the car, use the sub wiring already there, and rewire the rear deck speakers. All those speakers in the back will make for some funky sound imaging, thats for sure. Kinda like going to a concert and turning your back to the stage.

Members online

Back