sport suspension

jumpball207

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
how would i know if my car hass the sport suspension or just the normal suspension

how do you know if your car is a sports ls or a LSE I don't know what is the difference to it, I can imagine its more accesories added to the vehicle or something like it, but how would I know if my car fits into one of this categories or not. Can someone please explain. I would greatly appreciate it, I don't know because I barely got my car this January, and this is my 1st lincoln car

You can tell the Sport LS from the base by the chrome strip on the front and back bumpers. The base is the only LS with this chrome strip.
The only thing different from Sport to non Sport LS is the Struts and swaybar and 17" Rims the springs are the same

jumpball207 said:
how would i know if my car hass the sport suspension or just the normal suspension

BlackLS00 said:
You can tell the Sport LS from the base by the chrome strip on the front and back bumpers. The base is the only LS with this chrome strip.
The only thing different from Sport to non Sport LS is the Struts and swaybar and 17" Rims the springs are the same

hmm... lets see. supposedly, my car is not the LS Sport, but i DO have the 17" wheels, i DO have the sidemarker thingys, but i DO have the chrome bumper. I DONT have the select shift... when i called about tires, they said my car is the LS Sport & i told them No. but they said the 17" tires are part of the sport package. so mine doesnt fit into either category!!!!! :Bang wtf?

ok I have the base by the chrome strip and the 17" wheels but I don't know what is a strut and the swaybar.

Typically the sport version LS's have these features:

- 17" wheels
- SST
- Upgrade stereo
- No chrome on the bumpers
- Leather only steering wheel
- All LSE's are considered the sport version
- All engines/transmissions regardless of sport or non-sport are the same.

There are three different shocks on the LS. There is the base, sport and european shocks with the base being less stiff and the european version being very stiff. If I'm not mistaken there is even different springs for the versions as well.

Here is what LLSOC has on the sport vs non-sport:
A consistent distinction between LS models is that of Sport versus non-Sport versions. The primary difference between these two types is in handling, transmission control, and appearance. The Sport models have a more tightly tuned suspension and larger wheels… 17" versus 16" in the non-sport. The suspensions are geometrically identical but employ different shocks and anti-sway bars. This results in a firmer and sportier ride in the Sport models. Our members report that the difference in handling and ride is not major but, when compared side-by-side, is noticeable. This is largely a subjective matter and we recommend that you drive both before deciding which you prefer. Although both models employ identical automatic transmissions, the shifter is different. The Sport models offer SST (SelectShift Transmission) while the non-Sport offers a standard configuration. The non-Sport versions also have chrome accents in the bumpers and a few other small appearance differences. During the 2000 through 2002 model years, a 5-speed Getrag manual transmission was available with the V6 engine only. All of these manuals were Sport models.

Note that there are other dealer-added packages available. They include names like "Presidential", "New York Edition", "LSC", etc. These packages are not from the factory and are not standardized which means they may mean different things in different areas of the Country. All of these packages are appearance packages and result in no changes to the car’s performance. Note also that the Lincoln-offered LSE model in 2002 and 2004-5 is an appearance package and, therefore, offers no performance improvements.

s5397 said:
ok I have the base by the chrome strip and the 17" wheels but I don't know what is a strut and the swaybar.

The swaybar is a big bar that helps you car from "leaning or swaying". It is bolted to the suspension with end-links that go from one side of the car to the other. You have one in the rear and one in the front. The strut is a shock absorber, basically. They just tuned the sport model to be a little stiffer.

If you do not have the SST transmission you do not have a sport model. I always look for the select shift and the wood steering wheel. Sport models have less wood in the interior. If you do not have the SST, you have chrome strips, and your steering wheel has wood accent, it is probably safe to say that you do not have a sport model. I have seen a lot of non-sport models with the 17" wheels.

Edit-crap....GrayGhost beat me to the post... Well, what he said then. :)

Ok, I am a little confused now my Car is a 2000 Lincoln LS V8 and has the wood with leather steering wheel so does that mean it is not a sport. It Also has the automatic and manual transmission thing. It has 17" wheels, the sunroof, garage opener thing, and I need to take a good look at that chrome thing on the bumper because my car is at the service shop at this time so when it arrive I'll upload pics of the interior and exterior.

The Premiums - had all the chrome, the 17" wheels, upgraded interior (wood on the steering wheel +), audiophile stereo, ..... and it included the sport suspension upgrade without the SST upgrade.

jumpball207 said:

Jump,
Just drive one that you are sure ISN'T a Sport model. If yours feels the same it isn't Sport suspension. Ya can't miss the difference! lol, Linclonlov

s5397 said:
Ok mine has the P-R-N-D5-D4-3-2-1 that means automatic and standard.

The SST has P,N,D5,D4, then you shift it to the right and it has a + and a - where you can roll through the gears. The standard transmission option has P,N,D5 on the left D4,3,2,1 on the right.

ok so what is mine P-R-N-D5 on the left side then to the right side and down D4 to along with 3-2-1 is this then automatic only or automatic with standard can you please explain and or what is the difference between them I would apreciate it.

all automatics are the same (with some minor changes between years).

the difference with SST is the shifter - it allows you to shift up or down - which is technically the same as moving the standard shifter to the next gear - but the feel is totally different.

s5397 said:
so mine is then only automatic am I correct and not automatic with standard?

yes - it is only the automatic - not the automatic with SST.

if I put "lincoln sport" on the windsheild would that make it a sport and fast????

2k2ls said:
if I put "lincoln sport" on the windsheild would that make it a sport and fast????

try putting 'fast' on your license plate - works for me :Beer

what about "vtec" by my rear wheels that s#it is like 148hp!

nope/but i ain't asking on it sticker/i don't know this things on the automatic and standard that is what i was asking not on a sticker that has no meaning if it ain't true.

I'm so sorry 2k but I thought your message was towards me on the sticker issue that I thought you were telling me because I was asking too many questions on the automatic and standard issue and that you were probably thinking that I don't know anything. Well this is my 1st Lincoln and I am girl so I basically understand only about 10% of what you guys speak of when referring to changes on cars.

sorry its a misunderstanding. I used to be heavy in the street racing scene. Lots of honda owners would slap on vtec, sport, powered by honda and any other sticker they can get their hands on. then claim they had superfast rides when they were stock ricers. Theres never too many questions in this forum. Plus I myself wanted to know what the difference was in the sport ls and base ls. I wasnt getting at you.

Members online

Back