springs or bagged

enduring11

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I want to lower my 01 LS a little and i see that most all of them on this site have some sort of suspension drop or are bagged out. i was wondering what tips you guys had on buying bags or springs and the pros and cons of both. :confused:

I want to lower my 01 LS a little and i see that most all of them on this site have some sort of suspension drop or are bagged out. i was wondering what tips you guys had on buying bags or springs and the pros and cons of both. :confused:

I hope you're wearing your flame retardant suit. :eek:

I have Eibach Pro-Kit Springs and OEM Euro-Shocks

unless your planing on dropping at least $3500 just for bags look at springs, that's a kit made for the LS plus cost of having it installed...

If eibachs aren't low enough, then take a coil out or have custom ones made....

very few if any have bags.

most have springs actually.

I don't think there is a single LS that is bagged, I only know of that black gen1 that has the hydraulic setup.

I met a guy with a bagged ls and 22's. I bought a grille off him a while ago, he said it was the worst thing he could've done to his ls. He said it rode like crap, but if you care more about the look, then go with the bagged setup

Most are happy with eibachs, but if you really want more, then cut off a coil from the eibachs, or to be on the safer side, have custom ones made. There are a few companies that make one off lowering springs that drop from .5'' to 2'', they run around about 700.

Funny because air suspension is supposed to ride smoother than springs.

Maybe the 22's were the issue.

bag it. it will ride better look better and you wont have to scrap over bumps or up step driveways just air it up

Funny because air suspension is supposed to ride smoother than springs.

Not necessarily. The thought of a car running on air sounds smooth but there's a lot more to air suspension than bags. You may have to get new contol arms, a modified spindle, you must have socks or springs along with the bags ( or purchase strut\coil over air setups), your basically modifying just about everything that holds the wheel to the car (if u want it done right). So the ride quality of the car will not be dependant on the bags but the collective list of modifications to install the bags. Luckily you'll be either at about the same ride quality as stock or if your real lucky, a bit better. So if you have the money the talent and hopefully the aftermarket support for your specific vehicle then you'll be falling asleep behind the wheel in no time : )

True 22's deff a factor.

Shop around for prices on bagging your LS. I got a quote for $2500 from my friends shop. They do a LOT of work for Severed Ties members www.severedties.com . Guy that worls for my friend is a member. Bags are a basic requirement to get in with them.

BTW 22's will GREATLY affect the ride of a vehicle.

I think if all you care for is the cool slammed look (while parked only) and the weirdo look while riding, bags sounds like it. Specially if you dont mind a jumpy ride. Btw, very unstable on wet roads, unrideable on snow/ice, you may wanna keep that in mind.
But if you care about handling, cool look, and ride comfort then stay away from bags and get Springs instead.

My buddy has 22's on his 01 ls8. And it has a lil bit more
Road noise than mine does riding on stock rims.
To me ride quality (in the car) is the same. Can't really tell I'm on 22's
Until I get to a speed bump or a steep driveway.
Just to give you some insight on 22's on a LS.
Now, he's had to replace both front fenders and new tires from being
F'ed up while driving and hitting potholes and bumps fast
Making the the tire/rims hit the fender.

okay, so ill throw another factor in there. what would you recommend for a cold climate car? i figure the salt on the road would erode the bags some what, hydros would freeze up or be thick in extreme cold and lowered with springs would probably have a clearance issue. well such is the same for all of the above but for the people that have LSs in the northern states and canada, what do you use?

I think if all you care for is the cool slammed look (while parked only) and the weirdo look while riding, bags sounds like it. Specially if you dont mind a jumpy ride. Btw, very unstable on wet roads, unrideable on snow/ice, you may wanna keep that in mind.
But if you care about handling, cool look, and ride comfort then stay away from bags and get Springs instead.

sounds to me like you have never been in a properly set up and built bagged vehicle because everything you just said is false.

okay, so ill throw another factor in there. what would you recommend for a cold climate car? i figure the salt on the road would erode the bags some what, hydros would freeze up or be thick in extreme cold and lowered with springs would probably have a clearance issue. well such is the same for all of the above but for the people that have LSs in the northern states and canada, what do you use?

salt will not erode the bags the are made of rubber and will last many many years. hydros will not freeze up ether the oil may thinkin a bit but you will not hardly notice it.

salt will not erode the bags the are made of rubber and will last many many years. hydros will not freeze up ether the oil may thinkin a bit but you will not hardly notice it.

True...Having owned a bagged sedan before the only issues I ever ran into was went the bag poped, this was due to my own stupidity and failure to pay attention to my psi...small things will always go wrong with bags and hydro's no matter what system you install....

The ride quality was the same if not better when I had a easy street kit in my car..im not sure were all this negative insight on bags come from....

Semi's and towing trucks are equipped with bags. That should tell you something about the quality of ride.

As stated before if done properly the ride difference can't even be compared. It wouldn't cost so much if brackets were made, as Rollin stated I've called around and got quotes in the same price range of $2500 for bags. There is a red and white LS with hydros that was at a show here in KY last summer. I never got to talk to him.

HydroLS3-1.jpg

HydroLS2-1.jpg

HydroLS.jpg

The black LS on youtube with hydros was for sale on mautofied awhile back.

Springs are cheap and easy. But I've had lowering springs on a car before, I'll never do it again. If I can't adjust the ride height I leave it alone.

Members online

Back