SST... do you use it?

I really only use SST to pass. I will drop it down a gear or two and then I don't have to wait for the transmission to kick down.

i started using it full time about 18 months ago. i just got use to it.

my question - is it safe to go from d5 to sst while in motion?

It came in handy being able to engine brake down a few of the steep hills we found ourselves on in Colorado last year. Much better than having your foot on the brake pedal the entire time. I could adjust my downhill speed by changing gears, up and down, and hardly ever touched the gas pedal. It was alot of fun.

I use it sometimes, mostly on the highway, 3rd, 4th or 5th, I don't like the 2nd-3rd shift that's why I don't use it on lower speeds. I used it couple of times on some really twisty roads and it was real nice that the tranny wouldn't shift itself.

I use it semi-regularly. Mostely in the morning/evening commute.

i use it all the time in the city but d5 on the highways. d5 with the electronic throttle control is MUCH more responsive than SST at highway speeds IMO.

Rarely. I'm old... I forget about it. Has come in handy in mountains- saved my brakes. Use it every now and then to kick some ricer ass on the freeway.

bill5 said:
Rarely. I'm old... I forget about it. Has come in handy in mountains- saved my brakes. Use it every now and then to kick some ricer ass on the freeway.

HA! guess your never too old to kick some ricer ass lmao

:Beer

Everyday all day as posted above. Plus I have noticed better fuel milage around the city/country roads. Very seldom am I satificed to stay in D4 or D5. Also saves on the brakes. My wife on the other hand, loves to buy brake pads and hates to shift. I think it was four sets she put on her 03 eclipse (also was equiped with SST or whatever they called it) before we were married.

i only use it on the highways, too much traffic here in NYC to be any good especially when i have my breakfast while stuck in traffic, im not putting down my CAFFE LATE to shift some DAMN gear -- LOL

i dont really use it. when i go to NED this year, i'm gonna make 2 runs..1 in d5 and one using sst. see how that works out.

I use it when I want to have some fun but most of the time I leave it in D5. I actually get worse mileage in sst because it just begs me to drive the car more aggresive. I have not seen anything hurt my car by shifting from D5 into sst while cruising down the highway

LuxurySport00 said:
i started using it full time about 18 months ago. i just got use to it.

my question - is it safe to go from d5 to sst while in motion?
Yes, it is. When you go from D5 to SST, you really just stop the transmission from making the next shift. It's not like you force it to shift when it's not ready.

I use SST while passing, or in other situtations wherein I need to accelerate quickly and don't want to wait for the tranny to decide it's time to kick down. I also use it to hold a gear, like when I'm on a cloverleaf, preparing to merge onto the interstate. I want the car in 3rd in this situation (normally), but left to its own devices, the car will go to 5th, leaving me to wait for the kick-down when I'm ready to give her the spurs...

A better question is "how many people downshift their SST when they mean to upshift?"

Ask me how this has occurred to me to ask....

Members online

No members online now.
Back