SST Install instructions

JaredLS

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
whatsupadrian said:
How do you reprogram the PCM? What is WADS?

The dealer has to reprogram the pcm. WADS is Ford's diagnostic computer.

WDS stands for something like worldwide diagnostic system....basically it's ford's very expensive computer/scanner.

Just for everyone's information. I took my LS to the dealer to get them to program the PCM to accept the new SST shifter. However, they could not figure it out. Their last attempt was to take a PCM code from a sport version LS and re-program mine. However, after two days of them having it and the expected cost to be around $300 I decided that I didn't care about D4. Your mileage may vary!

I've never had mine re-programed just for that - who ever bothers to shift into D4 anyway? especially after converting to SST?

Quik LS said:
I've never had mine re-programed just for that - who ever bothers to shift into D4 anyway? especially after converting to SST?

I do. On my way to work in the morning. I have used the SST in the same situation (downhill, heavy traffic), but D4 seems to work better for me.

On a side note, notice how when people go downhill, they tend to ride the brakes? I'm not overtaking them at all (so they aren't slowing), yet their brake lights are glowing brightly! I HATE that!!

i tried lookin for the SST on Fordpartsnetwork.net and I had no luck. :(

Here is a quote on the the SST for both 2000-2002, and 2003+.

2000-02
YW4Z-7210-BA List $263.42 LVC $196.14 (housing only)
3W4Z-7210-RA List $399.87 LVC $297.74 (With Wood knob)
6W6Z-7210-P List $219.57 Inet $143.05 (With Leather knob)

2003+
3W4Z-7210-BA List $192.12 LVC $143.05 (housing only)
3W4Z-7210-NB List $290.55 LVC $216.34 (With Wood knob)
3W4Z-7210-KA List $345.67 LVC $257.38 (Black ink knob)

S&H is $7.

TeamFord said:
Here is a quote on the the SST for both 2000-2002, and 2003+.

2000-02
YW4Z-7210-BA List $263.42 LVC $196.14 (housing only)
3W4Z-7210-RA List $399.87 LVC $297.74 (With Wood knob)
6W6Z-7210-P List $219.57 Inet $143.05 (With Leather knob)

2003+
3W4Z-7210-BA List $192.12 LVC $143.05 (housing only)
3W4Z-7210-NB List $290.55 LVC $216.34 (With Wood knob)
3W4Z-7210-KA List $345.67 LVC $257.38 (Black ink knob)

S&H is $7.

Those are good prices, Bill!!

BTW, I hope you guys don't "price shop" Bill and Torrie. IMHO, that wouldn't be too ethical. They both do right by us!!

gt95coupe said:
Team ford. Is the first price everything from below the handle to the floor?
The parts he quoted above gives you the shifter assembly and knob as stated. You won't need anything additional other than some tools and time. It's a very straight forward swap. If you are in Knoxville sometime I can help you out.

Definately worth the swap, it's a lot of fun, especially if you drive your car. I remember when my friend was driving his mustang next to me, wasn't paying attention, and I chirped down into 1st at a 30-35 mph roll and took off. A very fun option.

KD00LS said:
Definately worth the swap, it's a lot of fun, especially if you drive your car. I remember when my friend was driving his mustang next to me, wasn't paying attention, and I chirped down into 1st at a 30-35 mph roll and took off. A very fun option.

hey i though you couldnt downshift into first in the first gen. LS's. I drove a stock 02 LSE and you couldnt manually put in into first, only from a start when you did the pedal trick.

When I used to test drive the 00-02 style with people I could downshift into 1st at about 5-10mph, then row all the way back up. It can be done, just not from a dead stop.

Also, once 1st is engaged (i.e. >60% throttle input from a stop/slow roll), it is always available until you come to a complete stop. Then you have to do the 60% thing all over again.

Actually, Bill, as long as you use >60% throttle from stop you can engage 1st.

LS4me said:
Also, once 1st is engaged (i.e. >60% throttle input from a stop/slow roll), it is always available until you come to a complete stop. Then you have to do the 60% thing all over again.

Actually, Bill, as long as you use >60% throttle from stop you can engage 1st.
Yeah, I found that out the hard way!! Just about threw me through the windshield as I was downshifting once....good thing I had my seat belt on!

GrayGhost1 said:
Yeah, I found that out the hard way!! Just about threw me through the windshield as I was downshifting once....good thing I had my seat belt on!

I forgot to mention that part! It's fun to do that to unsuspecting passangers. too!! :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

Wouldnt downshifting into 1st at 35mph and chirping the tires probably be very bad for the tranny...I have the SST and I have yet to use it, without a clutch it just feels stupid to me I guess...I dont see any real benefit to using it...

lsondubz said:
Wouldnt downshifting into 1st at 35mph and chirping the tires probably be very bad for the tranny...I have the SST and I have yet to use it, without a clutch it just feels stupid to me I guess...I dont see any real benefit to using it...
The biggest benefit is that you can control what gear you use. This is good for passing cars or getting on an interstate. Sometimes in regular automatic mode it doesn't downshift quick enough for me so SST allows me control over that.

You have to use it to get comfortable with it. Once you learn how to use it you'll love it.

I have a question do you lost D4 & D5 in the auto mode? Can you shift into D4 & D5 in the SSt mode. I have been thinking about this conversion for my 2002 V8 LS. Thank

Members online

Back