SST vs. D4/D5

NYC LS8

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
You 03+ guys (or you 00-02 guys with tunes who can get into 1st)..

Do you guys notice that the response from a dead stop is much, much better in SST as opposed to D4 or D5? I mean like, tap the gas a tiny bit and the car jumps forward. Do the same from a stop in D4 or D5 and it seems like it doesn't wanna go. I realize it's a more sporty setting and whatnot, but it's like a night and day difference, no matter how hot the car or weather is.

I'm hoping I'm not the only one to notice this?

Will using the XCAL really change the D4/D5 driving that much, almost mimmicking the SST setting? If so, even more reason for me to get the last of my '87s parts outta here so I can scrape up 4 bills for the XCAL II!! :eek:

Just curious. :Beer

xcal made a big difference for off the line throttle response. Before even in sst it was latent in response but i have an 03 with the cursed throttle by wire.

I am glad I bought my xcal.

xcal made a big difference for off the line throttle response. Before even in sst it was latent in response but i have an 03 with the cursed throttle by wire.

I am glad I bought my xcal.
Ditto my experience. My Xcal with Torrie tunes is better in both SST and D4 or 5.:)

I'm bumping this up because even with the XCAL tune, the car in D4 around town in this scorching weather is a complete dog. Put it in SST and it's strong as a mofo. I actually have to drive the car in SST when it's hot out or else I find myself mashing the gas while in D4 to get the car to move anywhere. :mad:

SST always gave me a little better response. I remember one specific night of doing hammer down launches at the same stop light, same direction a few times. In SST the tires would squeal a bit off the line but not in full auto. Never had the Xcal so I can't comment on that and I never drove around regularly in D4 so I can't comment on that either. But for stock, SST definentely gave me a just barely noticeable extra kick off the line.

OK whats the difference in the cars..

I have a 2002 (see my thread on shifter repair)
in D5 my car is a pig.. With and SST shifter my car is a pig..
in D4 it is a whole different ballgame than I read here..

When I am in D4 my car goes first-second-third-fourth in shifting. Has a ton of power..
You can be cruising in D5, bump it over to D4 and never move your foot and the car takes off like a rocket was lite under it.

D5 bogs my ride down bad at all speeds. Flooring the car has little effect.
Floor it in D4 and you are going to bark the tires if at a dead stop through two gears. Flooring in while driving and you better be holding on to her as she is goina chit and get...

This is the very first thing I noticed about this ride while shopping..
I am not overly impressed with the SST shifter as is.. IMHO and Professional opinion it is a shift :downgrade: from the true potential of this car..
Shift points/timing aside..

Maybe you all should use regular gas. It worked wonders for me in D5 all the time!

my non-sst 02v8 always started in first in D4 and D5 (before my xcal). 1-3 are manual so if you had it in 3rd, it will try to take off from there. it wont change no matter what.
there was/currently is no performance difference accelerating in D4 vs D5. it is a little doggish in the heat, like it would rather try to unlock the converter instead of just downshifting, but it really has to be hot... over 90.

Hmm, doesn't seem all that different to me :confused: Or I just forgot.

Sst??

I believe you'll find on careful examination that the reason for the 'jump' in SST first is that on moderate throttle, the SST function really starts in 2nd. This is done so that you'll have less wheel-spin in snow or wet conditions. But if you stomp it in SST first it actually does a down-shift from second to first, and this gives almost the same sensation as a 'loose' convertor. It's all about what it feels like, not what it really is.
KenS from Ben's Place

I totally disagree with the above statement...that is true of the first gen. but not the 2nd gen, with my '05, when i put it in SST at a stop, it starts in 1st every time regardless of how hard i push the pedal. I've unfortunately made the mistake of leaving it in SST after being on the highway, get off the highway, stop, continue on and forget to shift and have the rpms pinned in the red...oops? Its happened more times than i'd like to admit, but its definately starting off and staying in 1st gear.

Now to the question at hand, the car no doubt performs better in SST than when in D4/D5, not just from a start but from any speed. The TBW is bad enough but i have been on the highway and floored the pedal in D5 and have gone NOWHERE for a couple seconds. When in SST a quick downshift and the car responds instantly. With the summer heat here i drive in SST about 80-90% of the time.

I believe you'll find on careful examination that the reason for the 'jump' in SST first is that on moderate throttle, the SST function really starts in 2nd. This is done so that you'll have less wheel-spin in snow or wet conditions.
The 1st Gen LS V8 starting in 2nd had nothing to do with traction and everything to do with avoiding the EPA gas guzzler tax--if it started in 2nd under normal (EPA test) conditions, the mileage was good enough to avoid the tax; starting in 1st, it wasn't. With the addition of VVT (among other changes) in '03, they no longer needed to start in 2nd to achieve the mileage numbers necessary to avoid the hand of the EPA.

I'd be curious to hear what ILLS has to say on this topic considering how much tuning he's done on his car. I know that there have been a number of factory updates out for the computer which tweaks some of the shiftpoints. I'm going to test it out a little on my way home.

d5 selected is overdrive gear,d4 i regular drive gear without overdrive therefore it helps keep your rpm's higher in each gear and you don't get that laggy drop shift when it hits o/d or top gear. my car goes well in all d4/d5/sst. d5 just has a slight sloppy shift at around 50 mph or so. d4 gives more power but robs fuel economy. sst i don't use that much but it seems to be the stronger of the 3. I can't complain though my car pulls hard thru all transmission gears no matter which one i use. i have 2000 3.9 estate green and just turned 60,000 miles.

Your car should feel a bit different since the Gen I cars have an actual throttle cable instead of the throttle by wire of the '03+ cars.

my 04 is stock other than just adding 4"x18" S.S. Tips in place of the mufflers. and Yeah i have noticed that there is no lag or pause when you plant your foot in it with SST inguaged. other wise its kinda weak. I figured its due to not having to downshift its more of a direct drive like a manual.

I have a 2000 with out a tune and SST is great. I feel way more power than d4 or d5 but my d4 and d5 aren't all that bad either.

IMO-SST, definitely not a downgrade for me.

yea man omg...i never used SST but i recently been messin around wit it a little...3rd gear isa BEAST!!!

I have a definite difference right off the line. D4 is far more responsive than D5. That isn't even taking into account the higher RPMs. It simply feels like it engages faster in the first 10th of a second. It definitely reduces gas mileage though.

Same here, 05 and SST is tons more responsive throughout all RPMS.

However, does it cause any problems not downshifting on SST and just letting it automatically go into 1st when you stop??

Downshifting through each gear is so.... "not smooth" hahaha

little off topic but is it better for your transmission to be in d5 compared to sst? whenever i drive my car and have it in sst and downshifting and upshifting i just get this feeling that my cars transmission likes it in d5..?

Members online

No members online now.
Back