Steering wheel issue...

Visalize

LVC Member
Reaction score
So when I turn my steering wheel now, there is a bit a creaking, and it feels a little harder to turn (but not by much). You can feel almost like a rumbling in the steering wheel when you turn. I know this is really vague, but anyone know what this might be?

Common issue with the LS, I have it too, I *think* it might be the clock spring. Doesnt bother me too much, it does it once in a while.

there's a tsb for something like this. involves adding a "friction modifier" to the steering fluid.

Visalize said:
So when I turn my steering wheel now, there is a bit a creaking, and it feels a little harder to turn (but not by much). You can feel almost like a rumbling in the steering wheel when you turn. I know this is really vague, but anyone know what this might be?

What year LS is this? If it is a 2003-2004, your problem is a known issue. The symptoms are a feeling of "roughness" in the wheel as you turn, particularly at low speeds (eg. parking maneuvers), and accompanied by a creaking noise that sounds like its coming from the steering column.

As Beaups pointed out, there is a TSB for this (TSB # 04-10-01), and the fix is (1) first add a Friction Modifier to the PS fluid, and if that doesn't work, (2) replace the steering rack.

What's a TSB? Don't rip me if this is something obvious and I am just an idiot today... ha.

I was wondering... should I take it in for a warranty repair? I have to get my oil changed and I was thinking about just taking it to the dealer to have it changed and then having them look at this problem too. Will the most likely fix it under warranty?

Visalize said:
What's a TSB? Don't rip me if this is something obvious and I am just an idiot today... ha.

I was wondering... should I take it in for a warranty repair? I have to get my oil changed and I was thinking about just taking it to the dealer to have it changed and then having them look at this problem too. Will the most likely fix it under warranty?

TSB = Technical Service Bulletin. These are official notices from Ford to dealers concerning specific issues on a particular car. The problem you described is the subject of TSB # 04-10-01. Several subscription services will give you access to TSBs. I have a PDF copy of TSB 04-10-01. If you want one, send me a PM with your email address and I'll send it to you.

If your LS is still under warranty and it is a 2003 or newer, I would definitely get it repaired under warranty. If you don't, it could cost you $800 to have a new steering rack installed.

Mines is at the dealer as we speak for that exact issue the problm is they have to hear and feel the problem when they diagnos it or else they will do NOTHING about it. I was lucky enough that my car just happened to do it when the service guy took it for a spin. my car went in at noon toda and will not be ready until noon tomorrow. everything was taken care of by the warranty though

Visalize said:

this forum is about learning and solving problems, among things. nobody's going to rip you for not knowing an acronym. about the only things that get you ripped around here are 1.) not doing a search 2.) talking about how you smoked an S55AMG...

Visalize said:

In case you're intrested, you can look up Technical Service Bulletins for your car here.

So that little rub noise I'm hearing in the steering column isn't just something in the steering wheel? It sounds like it could be something much bigger...

Members online

No members online now.
Back