Steering Wheel Swap

jwkuipers

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
So my steering wheel was getting a bit worn, so I bought a new one. I was looking at the instructions on how to swap it at the lskoncepts site and it says I need something called a Differential Bearing Cone Remover. I did a few searches on google and a few car parts stores but they seem to be a tad hard to come by. Any clue where to get one?

i bought one when i did my steering wheel swap goy it at advanced auto parts it was like 20 30 bucks, but without it i dont think it could be done.

Ok I will look there today. I had checked their webiste, but they don't seem to have it. Maybe the don't list them there. I will let you guys know how I make out. Thanks!

I work at a body shop and they had one there. Maybe go check a few local ones out and see if they'll let you borrow it.

interesting. When i swapped my all leather steering wheel for the wood trim wheel, I simply removed the airbag, removed that center nut, then wacked the steering wheel on the backside a few times with a rubber mallet. came right off. That was about 4 years ago. (2002 LSE)

you can rent the part at most auto parts stores, i went to advance and all i needed was a deposit.

So I went to advanced auto parts, the dude there said don't bother with it. He said just loosen the bolt, but leave it in place, so you don't knock yourself in the face. Then give it a few tugs it should come off. So when I got home I tried for about 30 minutes, it wouldn't budge. I had my dad come over and he gave it a pull and it was off in a second. Go figure, he is 57 and I am 25. I feel weak.

Thanks for all the help!

So I went to advanced auto parts, the dude there said don't bother with it. He said just loosen the bolt, but leave it in place, so you don't knock yourself in the face. Then give it a few tugs it should come off. So when I got home I tried for about 30 minutes, it wouldn't budge. I had my dad come over and he gave it a pull and it was off in a second. Go figure, he is 57 and I am 25. I feel weak.

Thanks for all the help!

it's not weakness, what it is is the fact that "you" want to be as careful as possible with your "baby", while someone else, even though they might be careful are not as careful as you. hence, they can be more rough with "your" LS. ;)

What size is the center bolt on the steering wheel? I think I'm going to need a pretty large ratchet with the right sized torx bit. Anyone know exactly what size torx I need? Thanks in advance!

Mark

Okay, disregard my last question. I had to download the Adobe Acrobat software to view the instructions on the LSKoncepts website. Do I need the differential cone bearing removal tool, or will a steering wheel puller tool work? My neighbor loaned me one lastnight, but I can't figure out for the life of me where the bolts would go. I know the center shaft should go into where the T-50 bolt came out of, but what then?

Mark

You need a 2 jaw puller to remove the steering wheel in the LS. Or you can just pull it off with your hands. Hell you're throwing the old one away right?

I pulled the steering wheel off my LS with my hands to replace the clockspring and it didn't hurt it. Just wiggle it side to side while you're pulling on it. Make sure you leave that center bolt on, but loose, or you might give yourself a concussion.

a couple of bucks at the part store

sjdiscounttools_2009_31221499

Members online

No members online now.
Back