Stock Intake

Uncle Vinnie

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new here, just bought a 2003 Lincoln Ls Sport Premium.
I just took a quick peak under the hood at the stock air intake, is there any company out there that makes an Intake that connects from the throtle body and replaces all the plastic????

Again I just took a quick look and that air intake has to many air boxes connected to it doing nothing, or is it doing something?????
And then there is that ridiculous accordian style pipe, I am positive that the accordian will slow the air going into the engine.

Going back to the air boxes, I am sure they are there just to silence the intake, has anyone tried to remove them?????
I believe when the air is getting sucked in by the engine, some air most get lost going into those air boxes.

If am incorrect please let me know, as I am trying to understand the car

You're not going to get a tremendous amount of improvement by just replacing the intake tube on the 03 and up V8. As a matter of fact you won't notice anything and no one makes a replacment tube. However, KKM does make an induction kit that replaces your factory air box and part of the intake tube for around $140. I sell those on my website.

Sorry, didn't realize the year only had the induction setup available.

Bozz

Here is the KKM induction kit for the 2003 and newer. It sounds awesome and definitely helps. he only issue is sitting at a traffic light when the car is hot. Some folks are working on a heat shield. Also you will notice I did not remove the resonator/barnacle in the front. These chambers were put there to quiet the intake. There is no real difference if you remove them.

I would be interested in an intake that replaced everything up to the manifold (I cant see how the accordian in the flex tube helps airflow). Anyone working on that for the 03 and newer?

kkm.jpg

Kelleyo, if you go out to K&N's website and look at their setup for the 03 and new Thunderbirds, I think you might find what you need. K&N doesn't make a specific kit for the LS, but if you look at their install instructions for the Thunderbird, I think it will fit the LS. I'd like to try one, but I don't have the $200+ to buy the kit.

I was working on a heat shield. I took my idea to my brother-in-law, who has a machine shop to see if he could help in the fabrication. He and my other brother-in-law, who has the second half of the business interest, just about laughed me out of the place. When they finally calmed down, they handed me a car parts magazine and lo and behold, there it was - an aftermarket heat shield! Actually, there were several different styles, all of which work on the exact same principle that I posted here not long ago. So there, naysayers! I was right after all! Anyway, I'll post the particulars later today.

paulownian said:
I was working on a heat shield. I took my idea to my brother-in-law, who has a machine shop to see if he could help in the fabrication. He and my other brother-in-law, who has the second half of the business interest, just about laughed me out of the place. When they finally calmed down, they handed me a car parts magazine and lo and behold, there it was - an aftermarket heat shield! Actually, there were several different styles, all of which work on the exact same principle that I posted here not long ago. So there, naysayers! I was right after all! Anyway, I'll post the particulars later today.
Some of us weren't naysaying, we were pointing out the design flaws of the one your were talking about. All the sheilds you see in the performance world do just that, they don't rebox the filter.

TheRebel said:
Kelleyo, if you go out to K&N's website and look at their setup for the 03 and new Thunderbirds, I think you might find what you need. K&N doesn't make a specific kit for the LS, but if you look at their install instructions for the Thunderbird, I think it will fit the LS. I'd like to try one, but I don't have the $200+ to buy the kit.
Bingo! they are availiable for the 03up T-Bird. Also there's a member on here that made a nice one.

The KKM isn't a complete system compared to theses.

I can understand wanting/needing the shield for at RED lights, or in heavy traffic. Problem is, from reading on this site: inhibiting the airflow at speed might be worse than sucking the hot air at a standstill?

There has been so many people on this site that have used this KKM setup, but all seem to have slightly different opinions of whats the best way from start/finish.

Bozz

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
The KKM isn't a complete system compared to theses.
You're right but the K&N system is about $100-$150 more than the KKM. I don't know if you'll see that much more improvement in the two systems to warrant the extra money. The K&N system may look a little better in the engine compartment but when the hood is closed who's gonna see it?

Also, if I remember correctly the K&N system was only a special run so they may not have them available.

GrayGhost1 said:
You're right but the K&N system is about $100-$150 more than the KKM. I don't know if you'll see that much more improvement in the two systems to warrant the extra money. The K&N system may look a little better in the engine compartment but when the hood is closed who's gonna see it?

Also, if I remember correctly the K&N system was only a special run so they may not have them available.

They are still available, but like you said they are alot more expensive. That is why I haven't bought one. I haven't bought a KKM either because I figure that when Quick gets done with the superchager and starts selling them. I might need a different CAI anyways, so why not wait and get one that fits it?

I'm going to look into it to see if I can get a custom made Intake that replaces everything right up to the manifold, removing all the air boxes,
specially the accordian.

I let you guys know If I come up with anything.

Uncle Vinnie said:
I'm going to look into it to see if I can get a custom made Intake that replaces everything right up to the manifold, removing all the air boxes,
specially the accordian.

I let you guys know If I come up with anything.
If you are going to make one custom for a 2003 and up LS be careful with the MAF sensor mount. After talking with Warren at KKM he states that the MAF sensor mount, hole depth and position is critical to keep from the computer from throwing a code or CEL. He got the CAD files from Ford when he built the V8 and V6 version and they are two different systems. Also, he says that the CAD file says specifically that the mounts have to be a certain way.

GrayGhost1 said:

This is true. With whats available for the LS being so limited, you got to take advantage of every little bit. I do believe the hp improvement may be small, but if its worth it varies on the individual. I personally think your Aluminum Intake was worth the money on my 02.

Kelleyo said:

Wanted to see these side by side
69-3520TP.jpg

Looks like this is the way to go....

Replaces the accordian, airbox, barnacles and has a heat shield.

I like it cause I can have my entire stock intake all bolted to gether and then it would be an easy swap in/out.

Anyone want to make me an offer on my KKM?

Looks a lot less restrictive and turbulant compared to the stock intake...

I am surprised that K&N has not marketed the same unit to 2003 and newer LS's???

NOW, THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

I love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Does the T-Bird have the same "MAF sensor mount" as our cars?????
Is it the same engine??????

IF the K&N unit was for the 2000 LS V8, I'd be all over it. I think the 2000 requires the intake tube to wrap around the motor, right?

Bozz

The 2003-2006 KKM True-Rev Sport Induction Kit at $134.95 looks like a true deal. My next question is how to get rid of the rest of the ugly plastic tubing that still exists. What's up with that baffle, or whatever it is, in the front? Can't all of this crap be taken off? I would like to have something that just plugs right in and leaves all of that ugly black tubing on the ground after I drive away.

That's exactly what I want, something that replaces everything.
I like this one, I'd rather keep the engine bay looking all black

63-1109.jpg

Members online

No members online now.
Back