Stock Intake

GrayGhost1 said:
If you are going to make one custom for a 2003 and up LS be careful with the MAF sensor mount. After talking with Warren at KKM he states that the MAF sensor mount, hole depth and position is critical to keep from the computer from throwing a code or CEL. He got the CAD files from Ford when he built the V8 and V6 version and they are two different systems. Also, he says that the CAD file says specifically that the mounts have to be a certain way.

You are mistaken on this one Ken. The MAS mount location is nowhere near as critical on a N/A application as when compared to a Forced induction situation. As long as there isn't a bend in the intake tube right before the MAS location there will be no problems with mounting the MAS anywhere in the intake tract. You could have it connected directly to the filter or you could have the intake tube connected to the filter and the MAS on the upstream side of that and still be just fine and your A/F will be the same.

The only advantage I have seen so far to mounting the MAS away from the filter is if a person wanted to run a small 35 pre-MAS shot of nitrous in there then they could plumb the nozzle in the intake tube and have a solid mounting point.

I guess another good reason to mount it like that would be so that the MAS slot-in sensor is out of the way of installing a possible heat shield around just the filter.

02LSE96LSC91SE84TC said:
Trump says "YOUR FIRED". That isn't true, its there because its functional. A business will not typically build in useless features to charge more as charging more usaully results in less people buying. And if people find it to be a useless feature, then nobody will buy the item at all. I am the first to agree the LSE under hood circulation is alot better than most cars, but at low speeds that circulation is alot less if not at all. Most races start from a stop, why should the first breath be a hot one. Hard to turn your best time in the 1/4 with a crappy 60'. I don't intend to get HP from this, just consistent HP. Worked extremely well on my MarkVIII.
I agree that there are alot of things like the heat shield that could help out at the track with your times where a fraction of a second can mean losing and winning. But not only are probably 99.9% of the people here not professional or even amatuer strip racers, but i'd say most dont even have access to a track in the first place. I am calling that mod ridiculous for the 20 yr old kid who goes to school and back everyday in traffic and wants to race on the street. Those are the kinds of people wanting to do these mods, not track racers. From what i have seen, all the LS's here are daily drivers or a 2nd car. I live in Florida so i understand very well how heat will impact the performance of a car, but again i'm not looking to beat anyone so a drop in "consistant" hp isnt an issue. I'll still be able to pull out into traffic or change lanes on a highway just fine.

ok thx for contradicting urself but yes im 20 yes i street race (when i do we're usually stopped at a light) and yes i have access to a track and do use it

ok anyway does anyone have instructions on making one

Kelleyo said:
This will definitely fit!

I am getting one. Anyone want to buy my KKM????
Side by side installed:
DSCN0062_375.jpg

kkm.jpg

any new install pics?

rocket5979 said:
You are mistaken on this one Ken. The MAS mount location is nowhere near as critical on a N/A application as when compared to a Forced induction situation. As long as there isn't a bend in the intake tube right before the MAS location there will be no problems with mounting the MAS anywhere in the intake tract. You could have it connected directly to the filter or you could have the intake tube connected to the filter and the MAS on the upstream side of that and still be just fine and your A/F will be the same.

The only advantage I have seen so far to mounting the MAS away from the filter is if a person wanted to run a small 35 pre-MAS shot of nitrous in there then they could plumb the nozzle in the intake tube and have a solid mounting point.

I guess another good reason to mount it like that would be so that the MAS slot-in sensor is out of the way of installing a possible heat shield around just the filter.
I don't know about that since I'm not the manufacturer. I just buy them from KKM. He's the expert on the intakes so he'll know more about it than me. I'd suggest that you call Warren and talk with him about it. He might know something you don't or vice versa.

does anyone have planson how to make the box for the 2002 ls cold air intake
just the box

Iancusp said:
ok thx for contradicting urself but yes im 20 yes i street race (when i do we're usually stopped at a light) and yes i have access to a track and do use it
Who's condradicting ? Dude mentioned 1/4 mile and 60 ft times in regards to track racing. There are tons of very very minor things that can improve any car by a fraction of a second. Thats a totally different world than any of us live in where .002 of a second decides a winner. Those are people who race for reasons other than bragging rights. Thats not applicable to "street" racing. But THANKS to you for backing up my claim that the people interested in that kinda stuff are the punk kids racing on the streets like a-holes.

does anyone have planson how to make the box for the 2002 ls cold air intake just the box

GrayGhost1 said:
I don't know about that since I'm not the manufacturer. I just buy them from KKM. He's the expert on the intakes so he'll know more about it than me. I'd suggest that you call Warren and talk with him about it. He might know something you don't or vice versa.

It is cool Ken, I just wanted to clarify something with you. There is no need to call Warren, the MAS placement, like I said above, is very non-critical on a N/A application. The only point it would become an issue is if it is right after a bend in the intake tube. Anything other than that and it is fine. I have been building cars for power for a while and now tune also so it is one of those understandings that come with the territory. ;)

Fla02LS said:
Who's condradicting ? Dude mentioned 1/4 mile and 60 ft times in regards to track racing. There are tons of very very minor things that can improve any car by a fraction of a second. Thats a totally different world than any of us live in where .002 of a second decides a winner. Those are people who race for reasons other than bragging rights. Thats not applicable to "street" racing. But THANKS to you for backing up my claim that the people interested in that kinda stuff are the punk kids racing on the streets like a-holes.

Not that I condone street racing, but it is very critical to those people too. Not a lot of money passes hands at the track. A LOT of money passes hands on the street due to betting. That added consistency in power becomes very critical on the street just as well.

Even the casual musclecar drivers are interested in this type of thing. If you don't think so then go to a SVT site and see how critical a lot of us over there think the airboxes to be. Just because those people own a fast car doesn't mean they are a racer, but they still go for the consistency factor because why not? The LS doesn't have a big aftermarket following, so why continue to limit them further by not taking advantage of applications where horsepower can be kept instead of lost due to additional heat?

rocket5979 said:
It is cool Ken, I just wanted to clarify something with you. There is no need to call Warren, the MAS placement, like I said above, is very non-critical on a N/A application. The only point it would become an issue is if it is right after a bend in the intake tube. Anything other than that and it is fine. I have been building cars for power for a while and now tune also so it is one of those understandings that come with the territory. ;)
I'm pretty well versed with cars, parts, performance, mods, etc...but i'm not very up to date in the electrical/sensor/computer aspect of tuning. So speaking on the MAS issue, how much variation does it allow when considering all these "cold air" setups? When i had a sealed setup that ran down to the bumper the car seemed to run poorer even though it was being force fed fresh air. My thinking was that the engine computer knows at a certain speed how much air should be running thru the intake, so when you push more than what it expects or needs it goes out of whack. The computer seems to compensate for any change and that compensation doesnt seem to be beneficial. I'm open to learning a bit on this issue.

Fla02LS said:
I'm pretty well versed with cars, parts, performance, mods, etc...but i'm not very up to date in the electrical/sensor/computer aspect of tuning. So speaking on the MAS issue, how much variation does it allow when considering all these "cold air" setups? When i had a sealed setup that ran down to the bumper the car seemed to run poorer even though it was being force fed fresh air. My thinking was that the engine computer knows at a certain speed how much air should be running thru the intake, so when you push more than what it expects or needs it goes out of whack. The computer seems to compensate for any change and that compensation doesnt seem to be beneficial. I'm open to learning a bit on this issue.

A lot of CAI's just require a reset of the Adaptive Learning to be able to run pretty decently. The Adaptive Learning usually allows enough room to adjust itelf for such small things as an intake. Some intakes can flow enough where it may jumble things up a bit, but that is few and far between. Usually only in a ram-air setup or so, if that. What Ken and I were referring to was the actual placement of the MAS within the tube (whether up or downstream). A lot of stock locations of MAS's are pretty much bolted right to the stock air box. When you toss a CAI on a lot of vehicles the MAS is sometimes mounted in a different location more in the middle of the intake tube. For instance the Mustang GT MAC intake's do this. Where placement of the MAS becomes critical in a N/A situation is when you have it right after a bend in the tube or really really close to the TB, where the blade pitch can throw off enough turbulence to flow back into the MAS a tad. That MAS being too close to the TB is hard to do because you would literally have to bolt it right to the TB for this to even have a remote possibility of happening. The more likely thing is when the MAS is located right after a bend in the tube. Then the air is rushing into the bend and, just like water would like to keep going straight around a curve in a water slide, the same can be said for the air in the intake stream after hitting the bend. So after the bend the air is moving a little funny and more turbulent than usual. If you have your MAS located there then it will throw the readings off. The most MAS placement critical application comes when your adding forced induction to the mix. Then such things as differences between a draw through and a blow throuugh MAS setup become critical not only to ease of tuning, but also to how early a MAS will peg.

I hope this answers your question sufficiently. :)

Just finished the install. Took about an hour and fits perfectly. Now it has a nice little growl and definately noticable hp increase. I'll get pics up soon.

Intake

I have an opportunity to buy a Stainless CAI, KKM True-Rev filter setup from a guy who attempted to sell it on eBay with a high reserve.... $180 + shipping

I don't care about "sounds cool" or "looks cool"... pure performance is all I care about. This would be my first mod to my 2000 LSV8.

Opinions?

Bozz

Fla02LS said:
I think there is a lot of variance in the MAS. It would have to be in order to handle differences in Altitude (Miami versus Denver) and summer versus winter. I notice a big difference in performance in the winter (colder, denser air). This CAI thing for me is to try and get that same effect in the summr time...

Amoxi said:
Just finished the install. Took about an hour and fits perfectly. Now it has a nice little growl and definately noticable hp increase. I'll get pics up soon.
Did you install the K&N intake?

TheRebel said:
Any new news with the K&N intake install?

A FLM tech told me that the car would explode and demons would come out of the hood if they installed the K&N intake on the LS!

J/K...Gotta pick on the Ford/Lincoln/Mercury techs. :D

yeah, the ones around here don't like to stray far from the manual's specs.

Yeah, it's the K&N, but I can't find my memory card reader. It fits perfectly and the install was a breeze.

yes the 2000 ls has a tube that wrapd around to the back side and then connects to the throttle body.

Members online

No members online now.
Back