Strange start up beeping noise

lincolnhusker

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I don't normally post much on this board, but when I have you guys have been spot on with my problems. I've currenlty got a strange one for ya. Anyway, I have a '01 LS V8, and when I start up the car after a few seconds I will get 4 sets of 5 beeps (the sound when something pops up in the information center screen) that then stop after a minute or so after start-up. The car runs fine, and there is no message displayed in the information display. On longer drives it will do it again after about 40 minutes of driving and then stop with no appearent problems in the functioning of the car. Do you guys have any insight as to what is going on and how to fix it? Thanks.

I found this a Yahoo/Google search.

"The reason your car beeps is because there is a problem with the air bags and the air bag warning lamp is not working. We find this problem often in cars bought from used car lots, rather then repair the airbag system so the light will be off they remove the bulb. Considering the supplemental restraint system is important I would recommend finding a qualified repair facility to fix them, there is a good chance it will have to be taken to a Lincoln dealer. Below is a copy of a paragraph from the Ford service manual describing this condition.

When the ignition is cycled (turned off and then on), the air bag indicator will remain lit for six seconds and then go out. If an SRS fault exists, the air bag indicator will then flash the two-digit LFC associated with that fault. The air bag indicator will flash the LFC five times, then remain illuminated for the rest of the key cycle. The RCM will also communicate the current and historical DTCs through the data link connector (DLC), using the New Generation Star (NGS) Tester. If the air bag indicator does not function, and the system detects a fault condition, the RCM will signal the instrument cluster to activate an audible chime. The chime is a series of five sets of five tone bursts. If the chime is heard, the SRS and the air bag indicator require repair.

Source(s):

Ford tech"

Yes, this is the SRS (air bag) light out warning.
It means that the SRS warning light is burnt out and that you have another fault with the SRS system. Don't expect your airbags or seatbelt retractors to work in a crash.

Thanks for the quick reply. The airbag light was on before hand so this makes sense. I think it is the clockspring as I have had this problem before, but I replaced this last year and I'm surprised this would occur again:mad:

buy a new clock spring,also go to autozone or pepboys and pull the codes, i did it to mines and it was 4 coils that was going bad. does the car have a bad idle it may be the coils and the check engine light is burnt.

Members online

Back