Stuck in Park!

gittyup87

LVC Member
Reaction score
O.K Today I jumped in my 2000 LS Sport and it would not shift out of park. Had to leave it and tried again tonight when I got back home. Shifter won't budge. The brake lights are working, checked the brake interlock fuse and it is fine. Tried putting on the parking brake and turning key on and off like manual suggested. It's dark,3 degrees outside and I'm out of ideas! Anyone had this problem or have an idea what the problem could be?:Bang

trying unhooking your battery, step on your break pedal like 10 times, hook up the battery, and try again.

Does the button on the shifter push in at all? If the button pushes in, but the shifter wont move you just need to put some back into it and jerk it out of park.

are you parked on a serious incline??...or any incline for that matter.

Parked in my driveway, very minor incline. Park there every day and this is the first time anything like this has happened, I bought the car brand new.

Uh-oh!!! I had this EXACT same problem about 6 months ago. You are looking at some serious $$$$$$$$ unless you get lucky like myself. It's the computer module in your trunk, behind the carpet on the right side wall of the trunk, next to the tail light.

Symptoms: No brake lights, won't shift out of park, tail lights won't shut off, no rear turn signals, fuel indicator shows empty, no trunk release, etc...

You CAN get it into gear though, and have someone FOLLOW you to the closest dealership. Put the key into the ON position. This will allow you to push the button on your shifter. Keep the button pressed in, while starting the car with your free hand. Once it's started, put the car into gear. Remember to have someone FOLLOW you, that knows you don't have brake lights.

In my case, they were able to reprogram the factory computer module, and it cost me $110, but that's with my hookup at Ford. If you need a new module, you're looking at over $1,000.00. Sorry to be the rain on your parade, but this is exactly what happened with my '01 LS8 Sport. Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Mark

You may try visually checking the brake lock interface where it connects to the shifter.

Remove the "wood" trim piece from around your ashtray.
Lift up the front of the center console.
Unplug the traction control switch.
Remove center console.
Remove shifter knob.
FIRMLY lift up on the shifter console bezel and pull away. (careful with the wires for the shifter bezel bulb. You will need to remove the bulb housing by twisting counter clockwise.

Once the bezel is out of the way, you should be able to fully examine the brake shifter interlock cable where it meets the shifter.

Visually inspected the cable and interlock. Button depresses and releases the interlock normally. :q:q:q:qer will not budge even with key on and car not running. Went to dealer to try and get some info, he said probably something in transmission. The car has 84,000 on it. I hope this isn't the case. It seems strange that I drive it one day and the next morning it's locked up. Any other ideas would be appreciated.

Push the car slightly uphill to remove the stress on the parking gear. You should be able to shift out of park while the car is being pushed.

Monroe wisconsin? I wounder if the shifter release is just froze up? Get some sort of portable heater in the car and warm it up a bit and see if it lets loose. If you can get your center console opened up a bit you may be able to use a hair dryer in there to warm it up.

I had a similar problem with my wifes winter beater honda. There was a solenoid for the key release that was freezing up every now and than and wouldn't let the key out. I just pulled the solenoid out.

I'm in Michigan and I did think about that but it was 40 degreees today. My buddy at work suggested it could be a vaccuum assist valve and moisture could have gotten into the line and froze. Does anyone know if there is a vaccuum assist on the shifter? And if there is where it is located?

40 degrees!? I'm only an hour away and the highest I saw was like 15 degrees.

Your car does look good though, and you take some nice shots.

Vacuum assisted shifting... What kind of pansy ass came up with that idea?

Anyhoo, I really doubt the LS has this "vacuum assist" deal.

Take the shifter out and see if you can pull the cable manually to get it out of park.

It's fixed! The lingage must have been frozen. Had time today to put a small heater in there and get it really warm. I already had the console apart, so I'm sure that helped. After 1/2 hour it was good to go.

Uh-oh!!! I had this EXACT same problem about 6 months ago. You are looking at some serious $$$$$$$$ unless you get lucky like myself. It's the computer module in your trunk, behind the carpet on the right side wall of the trunk, next to the tail light.

Symptoms: No brake lights, won't shift out of park, tail lights won't shut off, no rear turn signals, fuel indicator shows empty, no trunk release, etc...

You CAN get it into gear though, and have someone FOLLOW you to the closest dealership. Put the key into the ON position. This will allow you to push the button on your shifter. Keep the button pressed in, while starting the car with your free hand. Once it's started, put the car into gear. Remember to have someone FOLLOW you, that knows you don't have brake lights.

In my case, they were able to reprogram the factory computer module, and it cost me $110, but that's with my hookup at Ford. If you need a new module, you're looking at over $1,000.00. Sorry to be the rain on your parade, but this is exactly what happened with my '01 LS8 Sport. Good luck, and let us know what happens!

Mark

I have a suspicion that my rear EM is screwing up. What about the replacement causes it to cost so much and what's up with that Ford hook-up? Getting to the module itself is simple, did you get it programmed and then install yourself?

Members online

No members online now.
Back