Superduper OEM stero add on???

Sivioke

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I have all this old stereo equipment from my high school car that has just been sitting in a closet. I figure why not throw it in my new LS. It all worked when I took it out of that car about 5 years ago and at the time it was some pretty top of the line stuff and sounded awesome so it should still sound every bit as awesome if you ask me... anyway my plan if this works right is to keep the factory head unit and maybe even some of the factory speakers. I have couple of questions and I will just list them below.

1. If I understand this correctly this product will allow me to attach two amps to my factory head unit correct? Can anyone tell me which would be the best to use with the ls? http://www.logjamelectronics.com/genericloc.html

If this works like I am assuming above that would mean that I would not have to run any speaker wires to the amps correct? And are the factory speakers good enough to handle a 4 channel amp at 50watts per channel? At one point I had it hooked up in a T-bird super coupe to factory speakers and it sounded good/fine....

2. Where can I get detailed info about the stock sound system??? i.e.: Speaker size, placement, subs have them or not? Factory amps? Have or not? I have the non alpine tape deck only sound system

3. Does anyone know the model number of ford OEM cd changers that would work for this head unit?? Should be a 6 disk I am pretty sure... the one that goes in the glove box. Also has anyone seem or used the IPOD/Aux Adapter that logjam electronics sells that plugs into your cd changer harness port thing...:)????? Good? Bad?

4. I was thinking about pulling the spare out and maybe mounting a 10 or twelve down there? Any thoughts?

1. The LOC will convert your speaker level outputs on your radio to line level (RCA) so that you can run an aftermarket amp via your stock headunit. You would run rca cables from the loc to the amp and then speaker wires from the amp to the speakers.

Are you looking at running your factory speakers with aftermarket amplifiers? Also you mention wanting to install a sub, you would need a total of three of these if you're planning on installing three amps. If you're going that route, you might as well looking into an something like the Rockford Fosgate 3Sixty.1. It's a little more pricey but it gets all the RCA outputs that you need in one device.

I wouldn't recommend keeping the factory speakers or using the factory wiring to power your speakers. The factory wiring is only meant to handle the power that the factory system supplies. Adding an amplifier could potentially burn up the wiring, taking the amplifier and/or speakers out with it or something else. I'm not saying that it wouldn't work, chances are, it would. I'm just saying, save yourself some future headache and do it right the first time.

thanks for the sugestions but the fosgate thing you referenced is about eh....$300 more then I would like to spend on this project. At that price I think I would start looking at DVD/GPS units that I could just connect my old stuff to, especially if I am having to rewire the thing too.

Does anyone have thoughts experience on how well those line output converters work??

My setup would consist of a 3-way cross over that connects to a 2 channel and a 4 channel amp hopfuly powering the stock speakers using stock wire if possible??? (Yes i know, I am lazy.....but I only need something that is good enough for who it is for ;) )

Also can anyone point me in a good direction for detailed info on the OEM LS sound system and yes I have read the owners manual.

Anyway thanks again!

A service manual should be a good start for the sound system specifications. You should also find a blown up assembly. I actually have the manual within reach but am absolutely exhausted and don't feel like getting it.

Line output converters are very common, and have been for quite a while. No need to question those little guys.

As for powering two amps, do you plan on adding an additional battery, and upgrading your alternator? I didn't think so...keep it to one amp. What exactly are you trying to accomplish? That is...what is your goal in terms of performance? I've got about $3000 worth of equipment running off my factory head unit (in-dash navigation/cd changer)...but because it's done right...I can easily blow away most guys in sheer db's AND sound quality. Nothing worse than those idiots running 15" solobarics on some huge (but terrible) amp blaring some distorted, often unidentifiable music.

"yea man...your bass sounds aweseome...is that music or a tuning disc?" (generally the question that follows: "what's a tuning disc?")

No I hear you and though I can't remember the specs... or the brand for that matter, the amps were top of the line at the time. They are not that "powerful" compared to those cheepies that claim to be like 1000w. Mine are like 200w (50w x 4) that I would like to use for the mids and highs and the other is like 200w x2 (that is the counter part to the one above, same brand same series) if I remember correctly..... But they could power a set of 12'' kickers and 2 pair of infinity kappa 4x6'' that sounded awesome and clear no matter what kind of music you listened to.

My plan is to only use one 12''with the amp running mono and maybe throwing the kappas in if I have too, powered by the four channel. Both of the amps would be going threw a three way crossover and then I have all the necessary fuse blocks etc already

So anyway no problems using those LOC's for two amps off the head unit? Is the alternator going to be able to handle it?

Sheldon:

What kind of equipment are you running? I want to resurrect the Boston Acoustics Pro Series I have. I ran the Pros and a pair of RM6's on an Alipne 3555 (50x4 4 Ohms RMS), I'd also like to upgrade the factory 'subs' in the rear deck. I understand they are a pair of 6x9 'subs' (only low frequencies)

I'd like to leave my factory Nav HU intact.

Any ideas?

I have 'alot' of information. What system do you have?

My 2001 premium came with the audiophile setup:
- 12 speakers. 2 way in each door, 2 console, 2 sub
- 180w Alpine headunit - indash 6CD
- DSP amp driving the console speakers
- 85w amp driving the subs

I do have the tech specs....
-

BTW - I use a logjamelectronics pie frdn-aux unit to add RCA outputs - to drive a Sony 1000w sub amp on 2 x 12" subs...

I upgraded the doors to Alpine SPS-570A 2-way, console to Fosgate Rockford FRC3203, Rockford 1 farad cap, then did the Sony Xplod sum amp and speakers.

Members online

No members online now.
Back