The definitive answer on how many Mark IIs were made

barry2952

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The thread on historic pictures and documents was lost to the hacker. I'd like to see it rebuilt. Please feel free to add any pictures or documents pertaining to Lincoln or Continental.

In my further quest to track the history of my car I've spent quite a bit of time perusing the Ford archives at the Benson Ford Research Library in Dearborn, MI.

I've uncovered some interesting documents about Ford's fight with Mercedes, Porsche and Bentley over trademark infringements. I even found a document, by chance while looking in a file marked "problems", that shows that my car's roof was damaged in transit along with two other Mark IIs delivered to the Chicago area. The cars were refused by the dealers explaining why they were in the Chicago District's possession. This would also support the story told by Hess & Eisenhardt that the car was ordered by Ford Marketing in Chicago.

Other than finding the actual purchase order for my Mark II convertible I believe I have found the next best thing for a Mark II enthusiast. Apparently, sometime in 1962 a Ford employee was asked to compile the actual numbers for Mark II production. This should answer the question forever.

2135989_3_full.jpg

Thanks for the link. Looks like most of it is there. I couldn't find it when I looked for it.

Members online

Back