The LS is not a drag car and NEVER will be.

Cameron

LVC Member
Reaction score
Well I hope I don't offend anyone with this little rant, but I'm tired of seeing people (mostly kids my age) trying to race the LS and feel it is necessary to drive them at 90mph down the freeway?

The LS is not a drag car - it is not a race car - it is not a fast car by any means...anyone with $1500 can purchase an old clapped out FoxBody and hand the LS's ass to them in a brown paper bag.

IT IS A LUXURY CAR with a 3.9L V-8. Without a poweradder or changing the powerplant the LS is NOT and will NEVER be a performance car.

I own an '02 LS Premium and have made an observation that a lot of people think this luxury car is some hardass dragster. Don't get me wrong the car has some muscle...which is useful in passing people...but why do people give it more credit than it deserves? It is a gluttonous 4000+ lb monster. There is a guy in town (probably 30 or 35years old) that was always trying to race his LS vs. mine, I could careless about which is faster. His is an 00 and mine is an 02, he followed me into a gas station and said "I was a big @#$@@ because I KNOW his modded LS would beat mine." I kinda went off on the guy, just because he has dual exhaust, a chip and a cold air intake does not make his LS unbeatable. I told him to wait 5 minutes and I would go get my street car out of the garage and we could really race. He laughed at me and said "go get it"

I drove home, got the camaro out and drove to the gas station (took a few minutes to warm up and mix in some 109 octane)...funny he was gone? I hunted the guy down and got beside him at the light and rolled my window down...he made eyecontact with me and made a right turn. Thats odd...could it be he was outclassed by a REAL street machine? I have under 15k in my camaro and even though its an ugly '85 it can pull low 11's all day long with high octane.

Can anyone give me a good reason why spending money on overpriced LS parts is worth it? So you can shave off a few .10ths in the quarter and maybe a few mph topend, but why not just use the car as it was intended? As a comfortable cruiser with all the bells and whistles? I think all the LS needs is a nice system with navigation, nice set of rims and maybe some darker tint to be the ultimate luxury cruiser.

My question still is- Why do people try to make the LS something it isn't? I honestly hope no one is offended, I just don't understand...

Well it weights about 3600-3700. It's in the same ballfield as a 5.0 speedwise, I know this from trial and error. It's a luxury sport sedan, handles like a dream. There might be a few on here that think it's a rocketship, but don't stereotype us. Chips don't exist for the LS, only tuners do. As far as the rest, Magnaflow and Borla make it sound sportier and so does the KKM intake. It's just what people will do, I guess you see us, since you have an 11 second Camaro, as we see civic modders. If you think we're bad, check out the Mark VIII board.

P.S. 15k into a Camaro and only 11's?

Dude - this is a car enthusist web-site - right?

We love cars, love tinkering with cars, love talking to other people about cars.

Some of us try to make them 'better'. What 'better' means is very personal.

To some it's a softer ride - more comfort on long trips.
To others it's stiffer - for better track performance.
Some bling their cars with stereos and rims.
Others pull the back seat for weight savings.

Your definition of what your LS is - is exactly that - your definition.

Making the car personal is the whole point.

You are allowed to post your opinion on the internet, even make it look like you are open-minded by mixing in some questions, adding some things about speeding (which everyone agrees street dangerous) .... but at the end of the day - you do not seem to get it.

I own a nice house. Bought it that way. But I since improve upon it - maybe I'm making my house something it's not....

Cameron said:
Well I hope I don't offend anyone with this little rant, but I'm tired of seeing people (mostly kids my age) trying to race the LS and feel it is necessary to drive them at 90mph down the freeway?

The LS is not a drag car - it is not a race car - it is not a fast car by any means...anyone with $1500 can purchase an old clapped out FoxBody and hand the LS's ass to them in a brown paper bag.

IT IS A LUXURY CAR with a 3.9L V-8. Without a poweradder or changing the powerplant the LS is NOT and will NEVER be a performance car.

I own an '02 LS Premium and have made an observation that a lot of people think this luxury car is some hardass dragster. Don't get me wrong the car has some muscle...which is useful in passing people...but why do people give it more credit than it deserves? It is a gluttonous 4000+ lb monster. There is a guy in town (probably 30 or 35years old) that was always trying to race his LS vs. mine, I could careless about which is faster. His is an 00 and mine is an 02, he followed me into a gas station and said "I was a big @#$@@ because I KNOW his modded LS would beat mine." I kinda went off on the guy, just because he has dual exhaust, a chip and a cold air intake does not make his LS unbeatable. I told him to wait 5 minutes and I would go get my street car out of the garage and we could really race. He laughed at me and said "go get it"

I drove home, got the camaro out and drove to the gas station (took a few minutes to warm up and mix in some 109 octane)...funny he was gone? I hunted the guy down and got beside him at the light and rolled my window down...he made eyecontact with me and made a right turn. Thats odd...could it be he was outclassed by a REAL street machine? I have under 15k in my camaro and even though its an ugly '85 it can pull low 11's all day long with high octane.

Can anyone give me a good reason why spending money on overpriced LS parts is worth it? So you can shave off a few .10ths in the quarter and maybe a few mph topend, but why not just use the car as it was intended? As a comfortable cruiser with all the bells and whistles? I think all the LS needs is a nice system with navigation, nice set of rims and maybe some darker tint to be the ultimate luxury cruiser.

My question still is- Why do people try to make the LS something it isn't? I honestly hope no one is offended, I just don't understand...

Been driving performance cars all my life. Although there will always be a place in my heart (Garage) for a true muscle car, the cars that have been the most satisfying over the long haul have been well balanced performance cars. Handling, comfort and overall drivability is the main reason I love my LSE. As far as mods go, a little more power never hurts.

Sorry Cam but I have to agree with the other three fella's on this one. What a car is made for and what you want it to do are all just personal interpretations by the owner. Like Quik said, this is a car enthusiast site and people WILL mod their cars for not only luxury and stereo systems and all that other stuff but for performance too. The best way to sum this thread up would be, "To each his own." ;) Let it go bro, this is merely a debate on semantics.

Cameron said:
I guess that did come off really arrogant- I just don't understand that point of view I guess :shifty:

Its cool Cam, there are plenty of things that I don't understand about why ricers put 3' tall wings on their 17 second cars, but I still don't rag on them about it. I do have a private chuckle about it to myself when I do see it though.

Your right an LS will never beat a worked camaro but then again worked comaro will never beat a worked porsh (RUF). But with some work the LS might be able to take a M3, G35, or a GS. Besides the LS is a touring car not a muscle car 0-60 anit much but once its on the highway it really shines just like my friend with a 98 T/A who kept talking trash to a coworker with a XKR sure he won till about 65 by 70 they where even and by the time the T/A hit 100 the jag was gone. Beside who gives a dam if you win sometimes its just for fun, hell I'd race Mario Andretti in my LS if you gave me a chance and I'd do everything to my LS I could to gain even that .10 of a sec. and Ill take your camaro on any day in my LS on a road course.

Sorry for the rant but I could just as easy say why the hell you would ever wast 15K on an 85 camaro only to get a car that might be fast in the 1/4 but couldn't take a turn to save its life and would be beat by a 96 comaro that could probably be bought and tuned for less.

Cameron said:
I guess that did come off really arrogant- I just don't understand that point of view I guess :shifty:

Dam now I kind of feel bad about the angry tone of my post I still stand by it just don't think I think you an a$$ or something everyone has there own opinions. I only really like performance saddens like the LS just as I don't see the appeal of exotics, rice burners or mussel cars but I do respect what they can do and that other people like them just not my cup of tea.

Silver02Sport said:
Beside who gives a dam if you win sometimes its just for fun, hell I'd race Mario Andretti in my LS if you gave me a chance

Yeah, I would race an F-1 car in my Ls or any car if I had the chance. It definately isn't about winning to me, just having fun.

So,tune the car you've got and win best in class.

I felt that way with my '02 LS8. Great cruizer but not a Porche. I was disappointed with the off the line torque, yet the issue was my expectations were wrong for the car. If I wanted a cheap power house, then a gutted camero would be great on the budget. I went with style and comfort instead. I enjoyed every drivng and stop light moment in that car. I had major issues with leaving the car alone in a parking lot for the fear of someone breathing on it, Ya' know what I mean?!

And the same is true about we VIII owners as well. A 4klb drag car? Why? Because I can!

Isn't there a quote about "Why did you climb that mountain?" The repsonse was, "Because it was there."

Oh yeah, the 90mph thing. Yes its dangerous, rude and is a great way to flush out speed Cops in front of you. Consider it a punk challengeing Darwin or a fella enroute to getting a piece. Can't fault them for that.

torquemonkey said:
I enjoyed every drivng and stop light moment in that car. I had major issues with leaving the car alone in a parking lot for the fear of someone breathing on it, Ya' know what I mean?!

man, i am STILL feelin that way about my LS and ive owned it for 4 years... its off the road for the winter right now and i got about another month before its back on the road, and it is KILLIN me just lookin at it sittin in the driveway, almost to the point where i wanna cry haha... everytime i look at the car or drive it, it always puts a huge smile on my face, dont mean to sound corny but it does... its a one of a kind car, thats for sure

Cameron said:

Cool, can you post a similar comment in the Mark8 forum, mabey we can all wake up ;)

Cameron said:

Think of how someone in the 9:90 index, such as my friends dad with his 72 Nova, would think about your Camaro. Apples and oranges man, research before you post. Many people have come in here and they've just been ripped apart. Watch what you say.

I wonder why some people even post on here. Just cause a car isn't a race car doesn't mean its a waste of time to tweak it. A true gear head will always want to improve everything he touches. Sure it crosses my mind the 2grand I spent on my LSE for making it the way I want it could of went to a quicker car of mine. But I learned a few years ago that I can't have a daily driver thats boring. I spend most of my time in my LSE, why not make it more fun to drive. The Intake and exhaust is exactly what it needed to make it something I would drive, so what if it was only 2 tenths of a second, I know its there.

i guess nobody ever thought a 4 cylinder civic would be a race car either? funny how if you turn on speed vision they have the import drags w/ civics running 10's all motor. gutted or not that is moving. just my 2cents

Since trading my 71 GTO, I've driven a variety of underpowered and uninteresting Toyotas, VWs, Hondas and Isuzus- each of these just about as exciting as a coffee maker. I popped the hood on these "appliances", at best, quarterly and washed them perhaps twice a year. (The last three of these were silver, so they wouldn't look as dirty as they actually were.) The LS has been the first vehicle in twenty years that was actually fun to drive; that actually had the potential to sound better, go faster and look sexier. It's a unique ride that has been a lot of fun to tinker with and drive. It's been a couple decades since I actually looked forward to washing and waxing an automobile and it's revived a lot of experiences I had growing up around performance cars. While not exactly the same, the back-and-forth on these boards are not that different from the many Saturday mornings spent with the guys tweaking our rides and sharing stories. You get the picture.

I don't care what you drive. It's just the American way of life to improve and personalize your ride. Hell...I know of guys that race lawn mowers for cryin' out loud!! It's your car...do what you want with it. Just remember not to intrude on the rights of others when you do.

You are correct, no lincoln is a drag car, we just have a good time trying to make what we have a little pepier. My fun car in a 1985 volvo 760 turbo, that is not a drag car either and never will be, but I like to mod it and bring it to the track just to see if I have done good for it or bad. (plus beating 95% of the rice there is kind of fun, but not much of an accomplishment). 90 doesn't seem all that fast, 90 in the ls feels like 60 in the volvo (mind you it's 20 years old). The linc's are still fun to play with the v6 will do at least 135 (3 lane open highway at 3am, not a car in sight) so they are not all that slow.

My 2 cents...

Why do you see Dodge Neons with huge spoilers? Why are there car forums for Ford Probes? For the most part, people enjoy making a vehicle they have purchased, either for $500 or $50,000, stand out and be recognized as their very own. From celebrities to the mall rats, each person has his/her own taste. Eventhough I am happy I am able to purchase and own an LS, I would probably still be on another forum for another vehicle if I hadn't purchased my LS. It just doesn't matter. Dare to be different. The love of working on cars/bikes and telling stories all about em is hereditary in my family. It's a passion that I'll never give up on, even if I'm driving a Chrysler Lebaron.

I'm Just glad I joined!

See, this is what makes it fun. Everything in life is just personal preferences. I have owned and driven many fast cars, but when you get into an LS8, boy, you feel you found the good one. I just can't stop thinking of mods for mine and even after what I've done, you know this car can handle more even if you don't need it. But just for those out there that meet you at a stop light and rev up, you know you need to teach them respect, and yes, the LS8 isn't a rocket, but after take off, you better move. So I don't know why that guy got scared by a camaro, I wouldn't have. Just personal experience. with a few good mods, you can make your LS a respectable car even at take off.

I bought my LS for a nice daily driver that I occasionally tinker with. I don't race it whatsoever and I don't show it either. Just a nice, customized daily driver.

I've got my Toyota Supra for speed.....high 11 second timeslips with less than $3000 of work into it :D

Members online

Back