The Mark VIII goes to Europe

I just converted the swedish price in to dollars.
There is tax though for bringing the car in to europe and stuff like that. I highly doubt you can actually earn a big buck unless you find a $1000 Dodge Charger and bring it here where it's worth atleast 10k, but you can atleast break even or earn a small dollar or two.

Well, the buyer has to pay the tax at the end, its usually 20% on the purchase price, 6% if the car is older than 30 years in the Netherlands if I'm not mistaken. The good thing is, he doesn't have to pay the tax on the transport (which would easily add a couple hundreds to the price) since it was free. Normally it doesn't make much sense for a private buyer to get a relatively normal car in the states because of transport related costs, but bringing it over for free changes a lot of things. As long as the car isn't a total beater, (or a Charger, 1st gen Mustang, Camaro and the likes), it shouldn't be hard to get a couple of grands of profit.

I will take all of this into consideration. Still leaning toward bringing the Mark and taking it to shows and such....

I will take all of this into consideration. Still leaning toward bringing the Mark and taking it to shows and such....

If your end goal is to have a Mark VIII, just take the Mark. Sure you will make some money but if in the end you wanna have the Mark VIII there, it's probably not worth the hassle to take another car. IF you think you will enjoy one of the pricey Chevy cars as much as the Mark VIII, then take a Chevy and if you decide it doesn't meet your needs, sell it and get a Mark VIII shipped.

You wont earn much money on selling the Mark in Europe, just so you know.
Chevy is purely if you wanna make some extra pocket money. And there's also fun chevy's for that matter. PS: Cadillacs aren't worth much money here, just FYI. You get more for a caprice than a Cadillac, but if you're gonna take a Cadillac, then Fleetwood is your choice. Ridicilously overpriced just because they're RWD.

You wont earn much money on selling the Mark in Europe, just so you know.
Chevy is purely if you wanna make some extra pocket money. And there's also fun chevy's for that matter. PS: Cadillacs aren't worth much money here, just FYI. You get more for a caprice than a Cadillac, but if you're gonna take a Cadillac, then Fleetwood is your choice. Ridiculously overpriced just because they're RWD.

Agreed, if you wanna bring over a "reasonably priced" Cadillac, it should be a 94-96 Fleetwood with the LT1 or an older RWD Brougham.

Basically you can sell anything over here if you got the time (up to a year or longer), you have to consider that some models are seen as more traditionally american though, and those will sell best at the end. While the Mark VIII is a pretty unique and nicely equipped car, it doesn't have a big following (actually, 99.9% of all car enthusiasts have never heard of it). Lincoln is known for its stretch limousines, the Mark VIII didn't even show up in a movie and isn't old enough to be considered a collectible yet. You should be able to sell it, don't expect to get more than 4 grand for it though. And don't expect to get a good price for it without having to wait a while.

The person I bought my Mark Viii had it for sale for around 2 years I think until I showed up and bought it.

I'll keep my eyes out for an affordable impala ss, roadmaster, or possibly a fleetwood. In the mean time, i'll keep fixing up the Mark. It sounds more and more like i'm bringing it as a fun weekend car.

So... does this mean that fellow Mark VIII enthusiasts might possibly be able to pester you for a night or two???? I've been dying to get back to England, most especially for opportunities at BBC North.

Please take your Mark. That would be AWESOME!!! Cheers! - Laurie

Hi.
I'm the "ex" owner of that 97 pearl mark 8! And receive BBC North because we live right in that area!!
Do you really want to come back here?! A foot of snow at the moment!! Whats the attraction with BBC North?
Fancy a holiday house swap?!!!

Andy.

I'll keep my eyes out for an affordable impala ss, roadmaster, or possibly a fleetwood. In the mean time, i'll keep fixing up the Mark. It sounds more and more like i'm bringing it as a fun weekend car.

Definetly sounds like a plan! I bet you can have loads of fun with an Impala SS.
Do not forget to fill it with carparts. You don't have to pay import tax for what's inside the car, so make sure you buy lots of car parts and just fill the car to the maximum.
Also, don't forget to put a few of these things that soak up moisture inside the car.

Definetly sounds like a plan! I bet you can have loads of fun with an Impala SS.
Do not forget to fill it with carparts. You don't have to pay import tax for what's inside the car, so make sure you buy lots of car parts and just fill the car to the maximum.
Also, don't forget to put a few of these things that soak up moisture inside the car.

That might actually be a good opportunity for us to get parts, too:D

@micahs97m8: The Impala SS forum is usually a good place to find some good offers for B/D-bodies.

http://www.impalassforum.com/vBulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=13

Micah, were you planning on bring the Mark to the UK and driving it, and bring it back when it was time to rotate back? Or are you looking at this as a strictly business opportunity to take a car over that you can sell and make a profit? If you are leaning towards making a profit, maybe you should sell your Mark here before you go.

Micah, were you planning on bring the Mark to the UK and driving it, and bring it back when it was time to rotate back? Or are you looking at this as a strictly business opportunity to take a car over that you can sell and make a profit? If you are leaning towards making a profit, maybe you should sell your Mark here before you go.

I plan on taking it there and driving it for a while. At some point before I head back, it will most likely be sold, but I really want to enjoy it for a while in Europe.

@Shaefft and swedishmark. If y'all need anything shipped over there, I should have some space in the car or household goods. I know how hard it must be to find parts over there.

One set for me too!
But nah, I'm actually good mate. I have another way to get parts in to Sweden which works really well :) That way I don't have to mess with the shipping inside Europe aswell :)
But thanks for the offer!

10 spoke chrome wheels!!!

I have a spare set in my storage unit. lol. They are 7 out of 10. Not bad for northern wheels. :D

I decided to price out shipping for a B-body chevy from NY to Ipswich England. To ship a 96 Impala SS, it will only cost $1300 USD! :eek: So in theory, I can import as many of these as you like while i'm over there. I may make a side business of importing cars from America and vice versa. I can get a nice impala ss to europe for about $6000 and a roadmaster for less than that! Plenty of profit potential......:cool:

Oh by the way. You will have to do some modifications to fit in with the EU standard. Just so you know ;)

Well, the buyer has to do that. The buyer will also have to pay the import tax of 20% on the vehicle price and shipping. Thats 1200$ for a 6000$ dollar car/transport. That still way below any asking price they are going for over here.

Oh and by the way. You will need amber turning signals in the rear so what you do is get these huge ass caravan lights, wire then up with connectors, put the on the rear with double sided tape for the tech inspection. When done, remove them and drive around just like normal with red turning signals ;)
Illegal but noone cares anyways. Atleast not in Sweden. I even go through tech inspection with my T-bird with red turning signals even though I must have amber.

Oh and by the way. You will need amber turning signals in the rear so what you do is get these huge ass caravan lights, wire then up with connectors, put the on the rear with double sided tape for the tech inspection. When done, remove them and drive around just like normal with red turning signals ;)
Illegal but noone cares anyways. Atleast not in Sweden. I even go through tech inspection with my T-bird with red turning signals even though I must have amber.

Yeah, thats what I am planning to do now. As you can see in my sig my indicators are taillights now, and the outer taillights are the indicators. Thats because the previous owner GLUED amber indicators glasses on the taillight bar. As soon as my car went through inspection I will replace that with a stock taillight but keep the wiring. I will also have to move the foglight to the left side of the car, hopefully I can stick it under the bumper where I dont have to put any holes into the rearbumper.

Yeah, I will also have to move the foglight to the left side of the car, hopefully I can stick it under the bumper where I dont have to put any holes into the rearbumper.

Are you talking about red fog lights for the back? Not a common feature found in cars made for north american market but I see them on Porsches, Audis, Volvos, Saabs, among other euro imports.

Yeah, thats what I am planning to do now. As you can see in my sig my indicators are taillights now, and the outer taillights are the indicators. Thats because the previous owner GLUED amber indicators glasses on the taillight bar. As soon as my car went through inspection I will replace that with a stock taillight but keep the wiring. I will also have to move the foglight to the left side of the car, hopefully I can stick it under the bumper where I dont have to put any holes into the rearbumper.

Previous owner has done something smart with mine.
I can maybe take pictures of it. Basically, he has wired the positive to the amber light and it's connected all year around, then drilled holes in the body in the quarterpanel or something. The place inside the trunklid around the edges. And that is grounding the turning signal. So it's only lit when in place.
Difficult to explain, I can get video of it tomorrow. Super smart! :D

Sounds like ingenuity at it's best! :D Mine will be different than both of yours because it is a 1998. Andy from England has agreed to share the secrets of converting his with me. :cool:

Members online

Back