The Town Car vs. The Fleetwood (90's style)

Moby and Lucille

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
The Psuedo-Metropolis.....Des Moines, IA REPRESENT
In anticipation of the one year anniversary of LVC.com I thought I would do a couple of polls for a certain lincoln vs a certain cadillac. I won't do a whole bunch, but I'll do a few. At last we are at the 90's, but I'm saving the one I suspect will be the most popular for last... first we'll deal with the flagship models:

The Town Car vs. The Fleetwood

I took the time to find a front shot, a side shot, a rear shot and a dash shot of each model (thank you cardomain.com!) When you post in the poll, post for the one you like better overall, but in the text part of the post, break it down. I.e. which rear do you like better, which dash do you like better, what about it do you like better, etc.

I will post my take on this on a later post.

Hope participation is high...

Have fun!

s TC Front.jpg

s TC Rear.jpg

s TC Side.jpg

s TC Dash.jpg

s Fleetwood Front.jpg

s Fleetwood Rear.jpg

s Fleetwood Side.jpg

s Fleetwood Dash.jpg

This cadillac means business! Look at the bulk of it! It's bigger than the 80's one, and slightly cab forward like it's poised to jump on you! I like how the dash is reminiscent of the 70's fleetwood's dash (even more than the 80's one)

And this car was one powerful mother! I don't have exact numbers, but weren't these guys up in the 300s for HP while the Lincoln was in the lower 200's? They're just big, huge, mighty cars with an agressive and simultaneously professional air.

The Lincoln? Well, I like it well enough, but I still say it's my least favorite era for Lincoln. There's just not enough going on in the styling dept for me. The grille is too small, and the lights are too big, it's hood is weak sauce. The car just doesn't exude any power or attitude. It's got some class to it, but so does the caddy.

Give me a break from Caddy......One thing I dont like Caddy's dashboard went too far and too wide. I have heard alots from people who disliked caddy's dashoards...Lincoln's dashboard are the right size.

At the end Lincolns are the winner...

I forget to add one more note.....Full size Caddy fleetwood seem short lived or possbile weak sales. So, Town Car seem successful in long term.

Jason_Towncoupe80 said:
I forget to add one more note.....Full size Caddy fleetwood seem short lived or possbile weak sales. So, Town Car seem successful in long term.

The caddy was also quite a bit more expensive if I remember correctly, and if I remember correctly it was quite a bit more of a car too though. But you're right in that it didn't live long, but I don't think sales were to blame, but GM trying too hard to be modern. Just as GM thought it would be cool in the late 70's and shrunk it's fabulously huge cars causing Ford and Chrysler to follow suit, GM thought it'd be funny again in the late 90's and this time just kill off the full frame, rear drive boat car altogether...thank God ford didn't follow suit this time.... Chrysler had said goodbye a while ago, though they did try a revival in the early-mid 90's wth the New Yorker.

Y'all should know better than to ask me, OF COURSE I'M GOING TO BE BIASED!!!!!!!!!!! :N (Look at my signature line.........) :Beer
(Fleetwood does look good too though, what can I say, I'm Bi-------Partisan, that is...) :Beer

Moby and Lucille said:
The Lincoln? Well, I like it well enough, but I still say it's my least favorite era for Lincoln. There's just not enough going on in the styling dept for me. The grille is too small, and the lights are too big, it's hood is weak sauce. The car just doesn't exude any power or attitude. It's got some class to it, but so does the caddy.

Well.....I realized Lincoln's rear end style seem heavy borrow from '80 to '84's Town Car's rear end style. Same thing with grillie....close same from '80's Town Car's grills. Very clever design. '90's Town Car seem mix old and modern design.

Jason_Towncoupe80 said:
Well.....I realized Lincoln's rear end style seem heavy borrow from '80 to '84's Town Car's rear end style. Same thing with grillie....close same from '80's Town Car's grills. Very clever design. '90's Town Car seem mix old and modern design.

It is a simplified version of the 80's TC just as the 80's TC was a simplified version of the late 70's Continental. The heritage is apparent, but a little vague. I like the 95-97 a lot better than the 90-94 though. I think the front end of the 90-94 looks almost exactly like a stretched out version of the Mark VII which I really wasn't all that crazy about..

You know, I like the 98-2002 Towncar better than this Fleetwood, but I didn't want to use it in the comparo because they really weren't contemporaries. The Fleetwood and the 98 Towncar were never in production together, so thats why I used the 95-97. Actually, this TC and this Fleetwood used in the comparo are both 96's.

Members online

Back