Throttle Body or Ignition Coils...?

Bim Turch

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
About 2 weeks ago my car would go into failsafe when driving under normal conditions, then one day I put my car into reverse, backed out of my parking spot and the car went into failsafe mode when I put it into d5. I then got it towed to the lincoln dealer and they told me it needs a new throttle body. I found a like new one on ebay and put it on and had no problems for 2 days. Now I am having the same problem when going into D5 and cannot drive it without it going into failsafe.

Same dtc codes every time the car went into failsafe.

P2107
p2110

Is it really a throttle body issue or are my coils bad? Stutter up hills under load, slight stutter while sitting at stop lights and when the car is started. Should I complain to the dealer demanding the do the diagnostic check for misfires to replace all coils under (extended warranty) for 03+???

It could be the wiring, the PCM, or the replacement part (there may be a reason it was being sold used) but it is probably a bad coil (usually #4).
If you have less than 100K miles and a good dealer, they should find and replace the bad coils for you. If you have the money and want the least grief, then I suggest that you replace all eight coils yourself.

it is a common issue with the misfires causing the interference on the throttle-by-wire setup and then is diagnosed as a throttlebody issue... when in fact is was coils.

I had the exact same problem and threw the 2 exact codes you are getting about a year ago. The also told me the same thing that i needed a new throttle body, i first told them just to replace the coils and i'll go from there. They would not replace all 8 coils! they replaced 2 the first time then about a month later the same thing happened then i took it back and they replaced 3 more. I haven't had a problem since then, I would take it back to the dealer and tell them that is not your problem and you want your money back. What year is your car and how many miles do you have on it?

I have an 03 with 94,000 miles. Luckily I didn't pay them any money but I will take it back on Monday. Should I reset the dtcs so it doesn't show the error codes about throttle body and just tell them to check for misfires? or leave the codes up and tell them I just replaced throttle body that it must be the coils?

I'd tell them that you already did the throttle body and the car is under warranty for the coils and you want those replaced now. Good luck

I called the dealer to tell them to just replace the coils because i already replaced the throttle body and it wasnt the problem. and they told me i am SOL because I replaced the throttle body on my own. and If there is no missfire codes they will not replace the coils. I got into a fight with the guy over the phone and ended up calling corporate to file a complaint. looks like Im going to have to replace the coils on my own..... screw lincoln dealerships... filled with a bunch of A holes:bsflag:

Sorry to hear about your luck i know there a bunch of idiots in there, when i declined the throttle body the guys was a real ass to me also!

I called the dealer to tell them to just replace the coils because i already replaced the throttle body and it wasnt the problem. and they told me i am SOL because I replaced the throttle body on my own. and If there is no missfire codes they will not replace the coils. I got into a fight with the guy over the phone and ended up calling corporate to file a complaint. looks like Im going to have to replace the coils on my own..... screw lincoln dealerships... filled with a bunch of A holes:bsflag:

Sorry to hear about your luck i know there a bunch of idiots in there, when i declined the throttle body the guys was a real ass to me also!

Find a new dealership to go to. I'd file a claim to.

My parents used to have a simular problem with my local dealership. I've created a good relationship with them and they don't hassle me anymore and are always open to listen to me. They did everything I asked them to do on my 06' fusion even when I couldn't prove it was going on. They reflashed my ECU 3 times.

claim?

I already tried a different lincoln dealer in the area and they told me the same thing... since I replaced it myself they have no way of knowing if the TB was working. I just purchased all 8 coils from ebay for 115$ still waiting for them to come in. If were to file a claim for reimbursement where do I start? at the dealer? or through ford corporate?

Can I tell them I just replaced all 8 coils due to misfire and tell them I didn't know about the recall until after I installed the parts and would like a reimbursement for the work done?

Or should I just say Fu*k it and not bother?

1. take it to a dealer, and this time...don't mention the TB

2. save your money on the ebay coils...they will misfire by day 3

3. they will not reimburse you because you "didn't know"

4. if you do pay to have it fixed, do it away from the dealer....unless you enjoy paying alot for coils.

1. take it to a dealer, and this time...don't mention the TB

2. save your money on the ebay coils...they will misfire by day 3

3. they will not reimburse you because you "didn't know"

4. if you do pay to have it fixed, do it away from the dealer....unless you enjoy paying alot for coils.

Agree on all points. No matter what, they won't pay you to replace your coils, not even just the cost of the coils.

lets just say I get the coils off of ebay.... they start misfiring after a few days....Can I then take it to the dealer for the warranty and have them replaced? or will they know I just put on the ebay coils and tell me there's nothing they can do for me again?

lets just say I get the coils off of ebay.... they start misfiring after a few days....Can I then take it to the dealer for the warranty and have them replaced? or will they know I just put on the ebay coils and tell me there's nothing they can do for me again?

If they can't identify them clearly as OEM coils, you will get the bill, not the factory.

you can tell these are NOT oem coils

When the throttlebody on my '03 went my mechanic showed me how it was running super hot to the touch (which is not normal and apparently a sign of a bad one).

It only overheated after a bit of driving. The first 15-20 minutes of driving a day I had no issues, but once the engine heated up to normal the risk of the ETC went way up.

Also if you buy coils on ebay don't buy them from globalautomotive. They will ship you ones that don't even work with the LS, and then deny anything is wrong.

Members online

No members online now.
Back