tinting headlights and tail lights?

invisiblem0nst3r

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
has anyone on here tinted their headlights or tail lights and how did it look or how do you think it will look on a gen 1?

On a black car it looks great, I don't know if I'd like it personally on any other color (maybe darker grays etc)...

If you have stock headlights, you will NOT want to tint them... they suck enough as they are.

Yeah white would be fine, but you'd need to lose the chrome imho... All personal preferences I guess :)

I'm replying from my iPhone, so search all my post for pics.

I tinted my headlights and tail lights, I love it. I just use my high beams ALL the time now. I never get "flashed" to tell me to switch to low beams. In fact I feel my high beams NOW ate just a Little brighter than my Low beams were BEFORE I tinted them. So it's kinda like I now have brighter "low" beams (even though they are the high beams), and I have no "high" beams.

I'm replying from my iPhone, so search all my post for pics.

I tinted my headlights and tail lights, I love it. I just use my high beams ALL the time now. I never get "flashed" to tell me to switch to low beams. In fact I feel my high beams NOW ate just a Little brighter than my Low beams were BEFORE I tinted them. So it's kinda like I now have brighter "low" beams (even though they are the high beams), and I have no "high" beams.

Swap the bulb holes lol. Or, get into the multi-function switch and re-pin it so that all 4 headlights stay on when put on bright.

I have tinted tails... I wouldn't do it on any color car other than black or maybe red, unless you have some complimentary exterior visual modifications. Thought about doing a light coat on the headlights but couldn't bring myself to do it on OEM HID housings and I'm sure as hell not switching back to halogens.

We use to tint our lights using clear with a bit of black. It was far more durable and shiny then Night shades etc... and it went on easier too (well, if you have a gun.)
You could then treat it like the rest of your paint, wax etc and it looked great...

I actually used Testors brand spray window tint for RC and model vehicles, $5 for a can instead of 20 for the VHT stuff. The can's smaller but plenty to do a set of taillights pretty damn dark. I shot a few coats of clear over it to avoid the dusty looking matte finish it otherwise has.

I use VHT Nightshades but follow it up with a few coats of Dupli-color gloss clear, its held up very well for almost 2 years. Without a good clear VHT Nightshades quickly looks like sh*t.

tinted lights

i tinted my 96 lsc headlights my car is pearl white, i also blacked out the grill leaving the edge chrome it looks FANTASTIC ! i put hids in high beam and low beam dont tell me my lights suck . to tint i took some clear and mixed in about 6 drops of black basecoat and built it up slowly i think its better to use a commercial product than something out of a can for durability .

For those of you who have troubles with dim lights. My mechanic found a really good solution: He hot-wired the lights to the charging system. He bipassed the dash switch and simply created a direct line from the headlights to the electrical system. We didn't find the power drain, but didn't have to either. Now, my dash light switch simply operates a relay switch that opens and closes the hot-wired circuit. The headlights operate a full power and it's great! Before, they were so bad that I couldn't tell if they were on or not and this changed everything.

Just had an epiphany! :D

I remember, back in the 90's and early 00's, ricer types would temporarily 'tint' various lights by using... black stockings. :shifty:

You could try that on the headlights to see how it would look - should allow some light to shine through, too.

If you dont want to do anything permanent... especially to first gen headlights... just get some clear tinted vinyl from some place that makes stickers and stuff... I've seen it and it works great, especially on smooth Gen 1 headlights... just get a hair dryer and smooth it all out.

I'm actually working on a kit right now for headlights. It will be clear 3M material with a optically clear lamination. I can print any color but white. This will allow me to adjust color % and match paint color. I will also be able to ghost print images (color fade, real smoke, Lincoln logo's) onto the clear that would look airbrushed onto the housings. Plus it will protect the headlight, reduce 95% of UV effects and be removable leaving no residue. My first run is the end of next week.

Fisrt run will be among other things, ghost smoke and fake halo's, just so I can get a feel on how they turn out.

If it turns out like it should I will need to send out some transfer paper kits so you guys can trace the marks headlight outlines for me.

Members online

Back