Tinting windows yourself

Visalize

LVC Member
Reaction score
I've always heard that it's not encouraged to try and tint your windows yourself but I was just wondering if any of you have done it, how hard it was, and how it turned out?

Visalize said:
I've always heard that it's not encouraged to try and tint your windows yourself but I was just wondering if any of you have done it, how hard it was, and how it turned out?

I did mine.. easiest way to do it.. is put the tint on the outside of the window measure and cut... make sure you take your time cutting.. its a 2 person job... then after you get the right shape/size you then go on the inside and slowly put it in place.. and make sure you take your time squeegeein all the lil bubbles out.. work from the center out.. its not hard.. you may have to do it a couple times to get the hang of it.. :Beer

First thing, The tint you buy at like Discount A/P or Autozone is JUNK... Very hard to work with. My son does window tinting professionally. I've done a little, just from what I learned from him. The back window is the hardest. He does 1 piece back windows no seams. Also like Motts stated, you need to measure and cut it from the outside. My son uses a heat gun to form it to the window. Basically making a mould of the glass. An average 4 door car take him 1/2 hour to 40 minutes.... Quality of film means a lot. Use the cheap sh*t and it will turn purple in about a year. At least it will down here in Fla. Good luck, but I would probably leave it to the pro's....

I have madico onyx, 20%. I didn't do it myself, but try to find something like that, or llumar tint. It's more expensive, but it won't purple.

Window tinting

My sister did window tinting and I've done it by myself also. Not a problem as long as you clean the window, have a real nice squeegy and sharp razor blade. Put a half water and half window cleaner all over the inside window. Place the tinting product on the window and most of the time, it will hold itself into place. What you need to do is work from the center out and squeege evenly and go over it again. If it's dry on the outside of the film, you can spray some more solution to keep it moist. Squeege out all the moisture and make sure you are doing it evenly around. Once it appears pretty dry, take your blade and very carefully trim the edges. If done properly, will last a long time. If not, you'll see bubbles appearing. Good luck.

How much does good tint cost? I am basically wondering if it is worth trying to save myself a couple of bucks doing it myself. I was going to tint it with 35% on the sides and rear window. I think at a shop it would cost me anywhere from $150-200. How much would you say it cost doing it yourself?

Fordman said:
First thing, The tint you buy at like Discount A/P or Autozone is JUNK... Very hard to work with. My son does window tinting professionally. I've done a little, just from what I learned from him. The back window is the hardest. He does 1 piece back windows no seams. Also like Motts stated, you need to measure and cut it from the outside. My son uses a heat gun to form it to the window. Basically making a mould of the glass. An average 4 door car take him 1/2 hour to 40 minutes.... Quality of film means a lot. Use the cheap sh*t and it will turn purple in about a year. At least it will down here in Fla. Good luck, but I would probably leave it to the pro's....

:I good point i used a heat gun as well.. it'll give you an edge to follow, really easy.. easiest way for the back window is to take that rear tail light out.. makes it a little easier.. some cars have it so that their rear deck can be completly taken out.. I dotn know it it is like this with the ls.. I didnt even try..
But on other hands if you decide to do this.. keep in minnd that most window tinting places have a warranty, some lifetime, some a yr.. It may cost you more to do it yourself, and screw up then to replace.. then to have it professinoally done... just my 2 cents...

Visalize said:

All I have to say is I have seen some HORIBLE DIY tint jobs.
I had Ziebart do mine for $120. Yes I did it the easy way, paying some to work while I sat there and read a magazine.

-Scott-

Visalize said:
How much does good tint cost? I am basically wondering if it is worth trying to save myself a couple of bucks doing it myself. I was going to tint it with 35% on the sides and rear window. I think at a shop it would cost me anywhere from $150-200. How much would you say it cost doing it yourself?

Good tint is usually on sold at tint shops. LLumar is one of the best. You probably couldn't but it. You can try E-bay. But be careful. Paying $150-$200 is a little high. In this area it would run around $90-120...depending on the film. Next if your going to put 35% don't waste your time. I have 15% on mine. I wouldn't go any lighter. Prices are probably cheaper here because there's a tint shop on every corner. But 35% is not much darker than what's on your car.

LS.jpg

I'm in the Baltimore, MD area. The only price I've been able to find was a place in Columbia that I think was $190. That does seem kind of high. I tried getting some quotes from different places but haven't gotten a response yet.

I know there are some car audio places that tint windows as well I woudlnt personally pay over 150 for the 4 side windows and the rear.. Go limo, I did a mirror fade tint on my car.. it looks good i'll post a pic later.. now that was hard to work with!!!

Visalize said:

Here call them they are natioanally recongized and some what cheap!

Ziebart

(410) 288-3200 217 Wise Ave
Baltimore, MD

Ziebart

(410) 747-1425 1014 Leslie Ave
Catonsville, MD

Good luck!

-Scott-

ps I looked them up using Yahoo!

Thanks Ohio, I actually just looked them up a little bit ago after someone mentioned them. Do you usually wait while you get your tint done or do you drop the car off?

Also, anyone know the law in Maryland for how dark the tint can be? I want to get something dark but not limo. What can you usually get away with with the cops?

Not a problem! I personally dropped my ride off and went to Lowes that always seems to kill time, but my Jeep Wrangler I had back in the day I waited, wasnt to hateful they had a tv and I brought a Road&Track. I had great sucess with them, call them and ask them what state limit is.
Good luck!

-Scott-

Visalize said:
Thanks Ohio, I actually just looked them up a little bit ago after someone mentioned them. Do you usually wait while you get your tint done or do you drop the car off?

Also, anyone know the law in Maryland for how dark the tint can be? I want to get something dark but not limo. What can you usually get away with with the cops?

Ok, so I got some quotes. Ziebart was like $175. This other place I got a quote for hand-cut tint at $160 after a coupon. Does that seem like a reasonable price to pay or should I just keep shopping around?

Damn must be the inner city prices but seems only a few bucks higher then what I paid at Ziebart in Ohio. Go for it sounds like a good price believe me once you pick it up you willnt realize you even spent it, cause you will be in car bliss heaven!!!!HAHA

-Scott-

Spend the money having it done professionally:

1.- It's done right by professionals- so it will look right.

2.- Warranty; have your windows tinted by professionals thgat warranty their work for a good amount of time. If it gets wrecked, they replace it.

3.- Saves aggravation. Trust me.

4.- Proof of legality. If you have your windows tinted to the legal limit and you are cited for overtinting, you can use the receipt as evidence and get the ticket thrown out. Happened to a freind of mine cited by Lowell PD for illegal tint (cited for 30%, legal limit 35%). $50 per window in his Town Car = $250. He simply brought the 35% tint receipt to court and the judge dismissed the case, no further questions asked.

In baltimore you can check out D&L tinting. I've had several cars done there and have been pleased. The prices are more then you are quoting on here though. Good thing is they give you a warrenty so if anything happens you get the new tint put on. I had some warping issues after 5-6 years on my old car, just took it in and got new tint right away. It's also nice if you do need to take it off (b/c of tickets) they will put legal tint back on for a small labor fee.

Thanks for the info everyone. I think I am gonna get it tinted next week sometime. It's too damn hot around here to bear it anymore.

Members online

Back