Tips for driving the LS in snowy conditions?

captainalias

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
This is my first time driving a RWD vehicle, and we just had a couple inches of sleet and snow last night. Do you guys have any suggestions for driving the car in snowy conditions? How well does the traction control work?

I live in WI and we got about 5-6 inches last night...You have to be easy on the gas when starting out to get good traction and try not to give it too much throttle when going around even the slitest of corners...I rotated my best tires to the rear and I am going to be putting a few sandbags in my trunk today so I will have a little more traction next time.

get a set of snow tires. seriously. it'll cost you 600 or so depending on the size and where you get them but it makes an absolutely HHUUUUGGGEEE difference in the winter. Depending on what your insurance deductible is they may pay for themselves:):)

and 2nd or 3rd gear sst starts make it easier to drive to as you don't have to feather the throttle as much

if your tail starts sliding out from under you dont over correct it. let off the gas and turn the wheel straight, dont panic

Thanks guys. Just to confirm, the little traction control button- traction control is always on, unless I hit the button to turn it off? There's a button next to the cup holders that says 'OFF- traction control', so I assume it means that if you hit the button, the TC can be manually turned off?

The manual isn't very clear on that. Anyone have the advanced trac system? how well does that work?

itsnotmydaddys said:
if your tail starts sliding out from under you dont over correct it. let off the gas and turn the wheel straight, dont panic

So if I fishtail, take my foot off the gas, and if the ABS comes on, keep my foot on the brakes, and steer in the direction I want to go in?

you can apply the brakes too if you can. really if you are worried about it get snow tires.

Keep traction control on, it's an electronic miracle. If your that worried, which you shouldn't be the LS is not a bad handler in the snower, find an empty parking lot and have some fun when it's icy, that'll let you know the limitations etc. for the car.

I heard the LS handles well going sideways so I'm not worried.

The #1 tip for driving in snowy conditions is "move to Florida." ;)

Beyond that, the most important tip is do not get in a hurry. The traction control will help you get going, but it won't help you with stopping--it's that same lesson all those people in 4x4 SUVs and AWD cars seem to forget when it gets nasty out.

A friend of mine on the highway patrol taught them this lesson a few years ago on a particularly nasty snowy/icy day: everyone in the ditch or in an accident got a ticket for driving too fast for conditions. He only made one exception, for a guy who'd tried to stop at the top of a hill, but hit ice and just slid over the top and down into the car in front of him (quite some distance). He said that was the one guy he met that day who'd actually done everything right; events had just conspired against him.

SoonerLS said:
The #1 tip for driving in snowy conditions is "move to Florida." ;)

Beyond that, the most important tip is do not get in a hurry. The traction control will help you get going, but it won't help you with stopping--it's that same lesson all those people in 4x4 SUVs and AWD cars seem to forget when it gets nasty out.

Or FWD, That is why I think all cars should be RWD,

1> if they cant handle RWD in the snow they should not be driving anyway, maybe they will wreck and make the roads safer for all of us

2> if they cant get going, they cant hit me:D

If you cant make your car drive CONTROLED sideways in the snow, I suggest you find a parking lot and partice...... ;) :p

Ls's do do pretty good sideways but snow is different from anything else! Just go to a wal-mart or so realy late after they closed and find the biggest open area and dont just mat it and spin(well you can and i suggest it for fun but doesnt teach you anything!) No drive to the outer edge of your area then turn around now drive straight into the middle of the open and start turning a little like you would into a driveway or off ramp and just tap the throttle, this will get you used to how the car will react to accel. into corners on snow, Also if you are sideways or start to go sideways dont hit the brakes!! This will actualy make the car spin faster! Just let off a little slowly never just let off as it will unstabilitize the car and help the spin. Let off and steer your front tires in the direction YOU want to go! this should deff. bring the car back but if you hit the brakes the wheels may lock as slight as that may be and spin the car completly out. I have driven a Mustang GT with a decent list of mods for a few winters now with 245 45 ultra performance tires cause the snow tires we bought didnt fit the car. Just take it to a open parking lot dont try to fast and furious drift down some main street to get used to it. Sorry about the length but have gotten real used to RWD V-8 winter cars!

captainalias said:
Thanks guys. Just to confirm, the little traction control button- traction control is always on, unless I hit the button to turn it off? There's a button next to the cup holders that says 'OFF- traction control', so I assume it means that if you hit the button, the TC can be manually turned off?

The manual isn't very clear on that. Anyone have the advanced trac system? how well does that work?

Captainalias, I can answer your question, but first, do you have AdvaceTrac? You can tell because the button on will be a sliding car. If you do not have AdvancTrac, the icon will be a little wheel that is spinning.

Also, what year is your LS?

best tip would be to get a $200 front wheel drive beater and drive that in the snow. Otherwise if you have a manual try to stay in the highest gear possible, even if you bog the engine a little. 5th at 40mph is fine. Less torque=more traction. take your time. Only drive if you have to, rear wheel drive cars should honestly stay off the road in the snow. no matter how good everyone is snow and ice is never predictable. Also if you love your car you’ll stay off of the road in bad conditions because other drivers aren’t predictable either.

WOW let me tell you guys
i was driving my LS (also my first time with rear wheel in snow) on some 4 inches of fresh snow around 4 in the mornin and i decided to take traction control off and give some gas.....Next thing i kno im caught in a spin and went up some peoples lawn just missing a sign (AMEN) I WILL NEVER TAKE TRACTION CONTROL OFF IN BAD WEATHER AGAIN
and thats all i got to say about that

Well I almost lost it today. Going about 55 when the tail end slips out and the whole car goes sliding. :mad: I really thought I was going to crash into some trees. I hit the breaks automatically and pointed the wheel in the opposite direction of the slide, and just like that, the car took over the breaks pumped the whole car kind of jolted and brought itself back.
I drove back to see how far I went of the road, atleast 1 tire was off the road pushing up grass.
Anyways I'm really happy I have traction control and good tires cuse I really think they saved my crazy ass today.

Whats the difference between the AdvanceTrac (sliding car button) and what I am guessing is Traction Control (the spinning wheel)?

General comments on driving on ice and snow.

1) If you can get away with it, don't drive.

2) Always drive very gently and keep in mind stopping is often MORE important than starting. No sudden changes in speed or direction. Gradual turns, gradual stops, plan way ahead. Don't panic.

3) Traction tires are good. Front and rear is best. Chains or cables are really good when things get so bad you shouldn't be out there. Be sure to check tire clearance before you buy some.

4) Wet ice is deadly, either stay at home or definitely use traction devices.

5) Steer clear of people going to fast or making suddens moves, sooner or later you will pass them on the side of the road.

I have driven front(4) and rear(6) drive cars and 1 4x4 in snow and ice. If you drive very gently, you can drive either type just fine. My three most recent vehicles in snow were an 89 SHO fwd car, a 94 F250 4x4, and a 96 Impala SS rwd car. I have not driven the LS in snow yet, and since I live in So Cal now, it is unlikely.

All work fine in ice and snow as long as I went slow. I often was able to get up small hills in big fat street tires because I feathered the gas instead of hit it like normal. For daily commuting I had either studded tires(SHO) or Blizzaks(SS) when winter got nasty, but once in awhile I got caught with street tires and did fine. I commuted 30 miles each way and never slid off into the woods except once in my driveway when I couldn't get the SHO with studs to turn into the drive. I foolishly listened to the wife who said, "build up some momentum and then turn", duh.

The truck was OK on snowy roads, even towing a 30 foot trailer, with just street tires. I went real slow. Only time I was sliding with the truck was one night when we had a really bad ice storm and no matter how slow you went, the truck had that creepy feeling of gently sliding sideways a foot or two, or down hill at crawling speed. 4 Low seems to help in really nasty stuff.

Braking is usually where people blow it. People forget that even though you can drive and turn, doesn't mean you can stop. It isn't important to pass the rest of the bozos, just keep an eye on them since they are the ones who might slide into you.

What ever you do, don't stop and park your car on the highway. I don't know why people do this, but it makes things more dangerous for the rest of us who are still moving.

Good Luck, Slow and steady.

Jim Henderson

ToddG said:
Captainalias, I can answer your question, but first, do you have AdvaceTrac? You can tell because the button on will be a sliding car. If you do not have AdvancTrac, the icon will be a little wheel that is spinning.

Also, what year is your LS?

Hi ToddG,

I have an '02 LS-6. Mine has just the traction control, no AdvancTrac, but I was curious how well AT performs. thanks in advance!

I think the big difference between normal traction control and advance trac are the steering angle sensors and yaw sensors in the advance track setup. normal T/C just detects when one wheel is turning faster than the other. Advance trac knows when the car is beginning to go sideways or spin. I have no idea what it does about that, but it's supposed to know.

beaups said:
I think the big difference between normal traction control and advance trac are the steering angle sensors and yaw sensors in the advance track setup. normal T/C just detects when one wheel is turning faster than the other. Advance trac knows when the car is beginning to go sideways or spin. I have no idea what it does about that, but it's supposed to know.
Normal traction control is just that: it's designed to keep the rear wheels from slipping. AdvanceTrac is a full stability control system; as Beaups said, it includes yaw sensors and so forth, so it'll help you avoid or recover from spins. To accomplish this, it uses differential braking on the rear wheels, coupled with reductions in engine power; this has the effect of inducing understeer, and stabilizes the car's directional control.

It's pretty good, but, as Lincoln's literature puts it, even AdvanceTrac can't defeat the laws of physics. You still have to drive intelligently.

beaups said:

Well, it does it by using those yaw and steering angle sensors you mentioned. A computer analyzes the inputs, throttle position, speed, direction, etc., and applies the brakes selectively to keep the car moving in a straight line forward.

I would add that both the Traction Control and the AdvaceTrac are separately defeatable using a single switch (at least in my 2003). To disengage the Traction control system only, you simply press the button once (light goes on). To turn off the Traction control AND the AdvaceTrac stability system, hold the button down for 5-6 seconds.

In situations where I need more traction, I'll occasionally turn off the Traction control, but I've never turned off the AdvaceTrac.

Members online

No members online now.
Back