Tire size help.

03LsV--8

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am buying 20"s for my Lincoln but im not sure what to go with on the tire sizes. I am buying the DUB Dirty Dogs and i saw someone with them on this forum was just wondering what size on the tire i should go with because i dont want to have rubbing buit i also dont want a huge wheel gap.
Any help would be great! :cool:

Also does anybody know a good rim site to buy from because i was going to buy for Superbuytires.com but there kinda pricey. Thx for all info.

I got 235/35r20's on my set of dirty dogs. I got them from kxwheels.com but its a canadian site so i dont know how much they charge to ship to the states, but the prices were really good.

ok i need a little tire size help as well
can someone explain to me what the sizes of the tires represent. like the 235/50 part. i heard its a ratio between the height of the sidewall and the width of the tire. i know the last number stands for the size of the rim or the diameter of the inside of the tire. but lets use this example, what would be the difference 245/35/20's as opposed to 315/15/20's.

eastcoast27959 said:
ok i need a little tire size help as well
can someone explain to me what the sizes of the tires represent. like the 235/50 part. i heard its a ratio between the height of the sidewall and the width of the tire. i know the last number stands for the size of the rim or the diameter of the inside of the tire. but lets use this example, what would be the difference 245/35/20's as opposed to 315/15/20's.

Dude, this info is all over the web if you made an effort to look:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=46

Pretty simple to explain. For instance a tire that is 235/50-17 means:

235 = Section Width of the tire (bigger number means a wider tire)
50 = Sidewall Aspect Ratio (smaller number means a shorter sidewall)
17 = Wheel diameter

Ken is correct. And the first number is in millimeters. The second is the percentage of height in relation to the first number. So a 235/50 means the height of the sidewall is 50 percent of the 235.

GrayGhost1 said:
Pretty simple to explain. For instance a tire that is 235/50-17 means:

235 = Section Width of the tire (bigger number means a wider tire)
50 = Sidewall Aspect Ratio (smaller number means a shorter sidewall)
17 = Wheel diameter

that is more simple than the long review on tirerack.com

I had a tire guy tell me yesterday that going from a 225 to a 245 would only increase the tire width by two tenths of an inch. I called him on it..."the difference is 20 mm right?" "yeah" he said. "Well there's 25 mm in one inch, right?" I asked (really 1in=25.4mm). He says "I dont know that. But there's only 2/10 of an inch difference between those sizes." At that point I just dropped it, content that I knew more about it than he did. Granted each tire has attributes that are model specific but speaking strictly on the numbers that difference is closer to 0.8 inches... much more significant than 0.2

Just goes to show you that everyone makes mistakes.... even the "experts"

One other thing..I once read that there is no governing agency or overseer on tire sizing, and often, a 255 in one brand might actually be a couple of millimeters smaller..or larger..than another. Hence why in some situations (when a car is lowered) one brand of tire may give you a slight rub when an identically labeled tire in another brand..will not rub at all.

soo a 315/15/20 would be a super super low profile tire. and a 255/70 would be something you would find stock on a suv or a light truck

Members online

Back