To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

cockerkiller68

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi all I'm new here so be nice!!

I'm trying to decide what car to get: An '01-03 Acura TL, 98-99 LS400, or an '03 Lincoln LS. I'm not going to sit here and ask you what car to buy, dumb Q on a Lincoln forum!!

Anyways:
I test drove all three. Acura: Descent Lexus: Smoothest ride EVER, Lincoln: Felt one with the car.

However, reliability is paramount for me. I drive about 25,000 miles a year. I can deal with small issues like $50 parts ONCE IN A WHILE. But I cannot deal with constant problems or MAJOR problems under 120k-130,000 miles. Almost everywhere I've looked, the Lexus never seems to have any problems with anything till 120-130k!! Even then, the repair bills total $3k and you're good for another 100k for the most part. The LS, that's another story.

Does anyone know how the LSs do after 100k mi?
How much should I plan on spending fixing things over the next 4 years or up to 100k mi?

All valid information will be greatly appreciated. Please keep posts relevent to my situation. Thank you all very much, Jason :steering

Well i'm gonna guess that costs of fixing lexus and acuras are not cheap.. import parts usually cost more to get, but then again lincoln is domestic and well the parts may not be AS expensive but they sure charge a small fortune at dealerships to look at em. I bought my ls with 60,000 miles and have had it for about 8 months now and no problems whatsoever, perfect running car and awesome looks and performance i am definately very happy with my purchase. But i get worried too looking at all the small things that can just about nickel and dime ya to death, and eventhough i want to recommend the LS to ya .. if you don't have time to have it in the shop everyone and again after geezz.. probably 30,000 miles then look at your acura or lexus.. IMHO..

Good words^^. Yeah Lexus are not cheep to fix, however they hardly EVER break!! I can work on my own vehicles too. I'm just trying to find out average cost of ownership over several years and lots of miles of driving. Thanks all!

Can you tell I really like the LS? I would have bought the ls400 already if I didn't!!

I am over 110k miles and the TCO has been rather high. From last june to March I spent approx 3k on repairs. That said I know folks with Acura and Lexus automobiles that have had their own headaches as well.

If you get an 02-03 you are in the sweet spot. I would suggest shopping for an 02 v6 manual few problems and the stick is a fun ride.

You know, if the only real problems are what you stated, I don't mind that really. Most larger cars need $2-3k in repairs at 120-130k mi. Did you experience many other probs, did the $3k fix EVERYTHING that you know of currently? Thanks!!

Oh yeah, is the v-6 manual as fast as the v-8 auto in acceleration??

I know the v-8 will always be faster on the freeway.

cockerkiller68 said:
You know, if the only real problems are what you stated, I don't mind that really. Most larger cars need $2-3k in repairs at 120-130k mi. Did you experience many other probs, did the $3k fix EVERYTHING that you know of currently? Thanks!!

I read somewhere that the stick 6 cyl is about as quick as the 8

cockerkiller68 said:

sorry. i wasn't very clear on that. That was just for that period last year. During my 5 years of ownership that car has seen 13k in warranty repairs and I have shelled out another 7k.

My car has seen lots of shop time. But it seems to be in a sweet spot right now knock on wood. I have enjoied the car despite the consistent problems. 02/03 model years are much improved.

IL-LS said:
I read somewhere that the stick 6 cyl is about as quick as the 8

I have driven all three V6 auto, manual and V8 auto and seat of the pants judgement certainly felt that way to me. I have never lined the two up though. Would be a good race to see.

yeah I serious doubt there are any 03s but you might be able to find an 02 with those kind of miles. I swear once you stsart driving you'll feel like forest gump when he went on that running rampage... you will just keepo driving and driving and driving.

If I can still remain positive about my car after all that has been fixed on it I think anyone would be pleased to own it and drive it.

eL eS said:
sorry. i wasn't very clear on that. That was just for that period last year. During my 5 years of ownership that car has seen 13k in warranty repairs and I have shelled out another 7k.

That's INSANE!!

cockerkiller68 said:
That's INSANE!!

the extended warranty certainly paid for itself in my case. The transmission was the big offender but I am very confident that the last time it was fixed really fixed the problem. The first dealer that did it 3 times either continued to use the unrevised parts or it is related to the replacement of a second part that was not replaced the first 3 times.

I am not happy with the problems but I do still love my car even at 110k + miles.

cool, I'll have to keep all that in mind. Like I said before, when I drove it, I felt one with the car. Don't know why that is but I liked it.

I'm looking at an '03 with 56k miles on it. Every option except NAV. We'll see what happens!

Members online

Back