top end speed with 4.10s?

fatboyq

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
car is at the shop getting gears done now, I was talking to one guy who is into thunderbirds he was saying my top end will be limited to 90-100 mph, there is no way this makes any sense. Just want to make sure there is not even 1% chance of this being true. 98 lSC

Very true my friend. With the 3.73's I was limited to 110 the limiter runs off the trans speed senor. The speedo will work right to fix this you need either a tune or a speed cal I believe. I wasn't happy either.

Last edited:
In third, max speed should be around 119 mph @ 6k rpm with everything else including tires stock.
Edit: In OD, its closer to 170 @6k rpm

Last edited:
In third, max speed should be around 119 mph @ 6k rpm with everything else including tires stock.
Edit: In OD, its closer to 170 @6k rpm

I thought the speed sensor reads rpm the drive shaft is turning. I think 3rd and 4th will be at the same mph.

I have

4.10s
t lock
x pipe
mufflers

very basic mods, looking for the most cost effective tune primarily to remove the 97 mph top speed. should I just chip it, or get a handheld?

how hard is the chip to install once you get it by mail, I don't want to fumble around with the ECU too much.

well my chipped gen 1 with 4.10s is still pulling hard at 90. but you will need atleast a flash on your gen 2

I thought the speed sensor reads rpm the drive shaft is turning. I think 3rd and 4th will be at the same mph.

The way it works is the speed sensor is connected to the ABS module and the ABS converts it to a speed signal used by the PCM, IC, M/C, and Air Ride Module. The tune corrects the speed signal. If you just replace the speed sensor, then you will still have shift issues because the rate of acceleration is now higher than it was with stock gears. I have heard that the abs gets the speed signal from the wheel sensors, I don't think this is right though. If it was, then why does it have a speed sensor? This is on Gen2. At 55mph, the speed sensor puts out an AC voltage at 125hz. The frequency determines the speed, not the voltage.

NO the abs sensors on the rear end have nothing to do with the top speed limiter. It reads off the trans sensor on the rear of the trans. At a set rpm it will activate the limiter. No matter what gear your in.

the abs sensor's are only for abs and mph reading as hot rod said everything else is off the trans sensor

No chip, get a handheld programmer. There is no point to get a chip on your car if you can get a handheld programmer. They virtually do the same thing, except handhelds have better support...ie new tunes can be sent via email files.

I have 410's, and am running about 130-135 mph when I lift after the 1/4 mile traps in 3rd gear at the drag strip - and it is still pulling at 130 when I lift. Like everyone said, a tune can remove the top speed limiter.

In my case, I had to also replace the speedo gear with a white 23 tooth one to help dial in the trans tuning for shifting and tc lockup. The white gear also seemed to change when my car would lower at highway speed when I was still on air ride with the 410's.

I did not have to change to the white gear until the supercharger went in the car - when the rate of acceleration increased significantly over stock, and things needed to happen much quicker. Did not notice all this while NA.

ok lets say I can't afford a tune right away, can I drive around like this or will I be at 6krpm at 75 mph on the highway? reason is that I have take a 300 mile trip next weekend. Not sure I really understand the rev limiter only letting you drive till about 90-100mph.

so everyone who has gears on a 97+ car has a chip or tune? Im sure there are allot of guys running around without this right:shifty:

I have 410's, and am running about 130-135 mph when I lift after the 1/4 mile traps in 3rd gear at the drag strip - and it is still pulling at 130 when I lift. Like everyone said, a tune can remove the top speed limiter.

130-135? I run the Plymouth on spray and go 10.55 @134? Your running 10's now?

ok lets say I can't afford a tune right away, can I drive around like this or will I be at 6krpm at 75 mph on the highway? reason is that I have take a 300 mile trip next weekend. Not sure I really understand the rev limiter only letting you drive till about 90-100mph.

so everyone who has gears on a 97+ car has a chip or tune? Im sure there are allot of guys running around without this right:shifty:

You need a chip/tune period with gears on ANY year Mark if you want to pass the limiter.

130-135? I run the Plymouth on spray and go 10.55 @134? Your running 10's now?

Nope. Sorry to confuse, but I stay in it after the beams and look at the speedo. lol, One more reason I love the Brembos... :)

"I have 410's, and am running about 130-135 mph when I lift after the 1/4 mile traps in 3rd gear at the drag strip - and it is still pulling at 130 when I lift. Like everyone said, a tune can remove the top speed limiter."

Members online

Back