town car on last legs help!

lincolnjlincoln

LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 91 town car and a big problem. It all started when I bought her she had a bad miss I drove it like that for a long time. I traced the problem to a spark plug wire I replaced all my plugs and wires and lo and behold it ran like a new car. yea for about a day after i turned it off for about 2 hours I came back to start it and it sputtered and puttered worse than it ever did. we traced it to a vacuum line replaced it and it ran better no problem. about a week later it starts discharging its battery it will go completely dead over night but not all the time I had the battery load tested and it was fine. it runs horrible I cant figure it out the engine light is burnt out but I had it tested and it came back nothing my car sits there barely runing and they tell me its fine. I've took it to a local garage they said their computer picked up nothing and they said they were too scared to take it out on the road. I'm at my ropes end please please help!:Bang :Bang :Bang

OMG I have a friend with a sable doing the exact same thing...mystery bad awful running without a check engine light....

I'd say test your fuel pressure - it seems that the fuel pump isn't something that kicks the less sensitive ECUs to throw a code. Also have autozone check your charging system - the combination of a weak alternator and a bad battery can cause all sorts of weird symptoms.

Have autozone check for codes too.... if the CE light is burnt out it will still have codes in ECU memory. And don't lose hope! These are great cars! You've got something worth fixing!!

Post on the Mark VIII forum too - it is much more active and those guys are GODS

John Hubertz said:
OMG I have a friend with a sable doing the exact same thing...mystery bad awful running without a check engine light....

I'd say test your fuel pressure - it seems that the fuel pump isn't something that kicks the less sensitive ECUs to throw a code. Also have autozone check your charging system - the combination of a weak alternator and a bad battery can cause all sorts of weird symptoms.

Have autozone check for codes too.... if the CE light is burnt out it will still have codes in ECU memory. And don't lose hope! These are great cars! You've got something worth fixing!!

Post on the Mark VIII forum too - it is much more active and those guys are GODS
I have taken it to auto zone and they say nothing is wrong it wont put any codes

lincolnjlincoln said:
I have a 91 town car and a big problem. It all started when I bought her she had a bad miss I drove it like that for a long time. I traced the problem to a spark plug wire I replaced all my plugs and wires and lo and behold it ran like a new car. yea for about a day after i turned it off for about 2 hours I came back to start it and it sputtered and puttered worse than it ever did. we traced it to a vacuum line replaced it and it ran better no problem. about a week later it starts discharging its battery it will go completely dead over night but not all the time I had the battery load tested and it was fine. it runs horrible I cant figure it out the engine light is burnt out but I had it tested and it came back nothing my car sits there barely runing and they tell me its fine. I've took it to a local garage they said their computer picked up nothing and they said they were too scared to take it out on the road. I'm at my ropes end please please help!:Bang :Bang :Bang
I dont know what to do I cant help her if she wont tell me whats wrong.

Disconnect the battery for at least 15 min. Hopefully it will clear the computer. It will have to relearn so let idle for 5 minutes without touching the gas petal (if you can do so and still keep her running).

Make sure you have a good tank of gas - switch stations if need be (water in the gas?). Maybe even by a gan of gas dryer to dump in.

Also check this site for the distributor Advance issue some Ford Lincolns from the mod 80s to mid 90s had a bad advance in the distributor and a new module would solve all kinds of issues. My 90 TC and 85 T-Bird had a stalling and hard starting issues - fixed right up with a new advance module ( Also replaced the distributor in the T-Bird. Both were 5.0 litre motors.

Hey Frat, the 91 Town Cars don't have a distributor, they use coil packs.

oh yeah- 90 must have been the last of the 5.0 for the TC. My 92 Marque had the two coil packs. Might be a bad coil then.

Did you check for any water in the dist. cap? Make sure none of the plug wires touched the exhaust manifold?

Maybe the TFI is finnaly going? Hm...lots of problems that I think will be related to ONE componet.

I'd start at the source - start from the Dist. and work your way out from there.

Frat-man-du said:
Disconnect the battery for at least 15 min. Hopefully it will clear the computer. It will have to relearn so let idle for 5 minutes without touching the gas petal (if you can do so and still keep her running).

Make sure you have a good tank of gas - switch stations if need be (water in the gas?). Maybe even by a gan of gas dryer to dump in.

I have tried the disconect battery overnight and it helps it for a little while but it always does it again.

I dont think its water I filled it up and ran 3 tanks from 3 stations nothing helped.:Bang

Ecm Might Be Junk ,drawing Current When Its Not Running, And Not Saving Or Showing Codes. Had Similar Problem On A Dodge(can I Say The D Word Here?)

Members online

Back