trans overdrive switch>help again trans guys

newguy

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
ok now my trans guy,says I cannot use a transmission that did not come with the overdrive switch like my 93 mark VIII has on the shifter,so my question is did the 96 crown vic(police car)and or the 2003 town car have the overdrive switch,cause those are the cars I have transmissions from and I am waiting on this info before I can make a trans swap and of course thay are both 4r70w's>>>thank you

ok now my trans guy,says I cannot use a transmission that did not come with the overdrive switch like my 93 mark VIII has on the shifter,so my question is did the 96 crown vic(police car)and or the 2003 town car have the overdrive switch,cause those are the cars I have transmissions from and I am waiting on this info before I can make a trans swap and of course thay are both 4r70w's>>>thank you
I couldn't say, but it may not matter because...

I'm pretty sure both those transmissions have output shafts that are too long for the Mark.

yea he's right, for the wrong reason.

you cannot use those tranmissions, due to the correct reasons listed above, and it doesnt have anything to do with an overdrive button on the shifter.

I'm pretty sure both those transmissions have output shafts that are too long for the Mark.
------------------------------------------------------------
Can't you have the drive shaft fixed and it will work or not?

------------------------------------------------------------
Can't you have the drive shaft fixed and it will work or not?

more like shortened and thats not exactly cheap

You can change the output and tail on the Crown, Marq, trans but by that time and cost you could have got the proper trans. And even if you did shorten the drive shaft you would have to rework the trans cross member, oh and yes 92 and up had the OD switch or provisions for the switch.

You can change the output and tail on the Crown, Marq, trans but by that time and cost you could have got the proper trans.

considering to change the tail shaft (not the aluminum housing the actual shaft that the ds slips over) you have to completely disassemble the trans

I believe civilian Vics and GMs had the same tailshaft as a Mark VIII. But getting the driveshaft shortened on these car may not be a bad thing.

from what I have seen from a transmission dealer who sell rebuilt hp trans,,they all show the same number for all 3(cars)transmissions
crown vic
town car
mark VIII same number for all three??

you guys are right again tail shaft is to long on both by about a inch or so,and the plug on the 96 is the same on the pass side and the plug on the 03 trans is diffrent,so I am selling them both because I have a new trans,my trans in the car works now but only has 1st 2nd and 3rd no OD and my car goes forward in neutural and in reverse its like park maybe mpls sensor switch??

Members online

Back