Transmission Flushed now Check Transmission Light on with the letter E?

Your converter is working properly. The momentary rpm increase is due to the converter unlocking and since you are not accelerating, locking back up. So at least you know your converter locks and unlocks.
Took it back to the independent shop today and they checked the fluid ...they said the fluid was full and at the proper level ...I asked how can you know it's at the proper level and the Mech said there is a screw 2 inches down that you have to unscrew and if fluid comes out of the hole it's at a proper level ....I have to research this to see if true...anyway he said the fluid is dirty like it was before the flush ...no solvents used when they flushed it and he said the machine they use allows the cars own pressure to exit the fluid out and it's basically a one-2-one type flush...really weird how the fluid could be that dirty only after driving it about 75 miles this week to and from work after having it flushed...the transmission is shifting flawlessly and better than before the flush....what to do next? Looking for advice? Should I take to transmission shop or dealer to get it diagnosed or drive it until it eventually dies while looking for a new Lincoln LS?

... the Mech said there is a screw 2 inches down that you have to unscrew and if fluid comes out of the hole it's at a proper level ....

I hope that you are just quoting him wrongly...
The correct way is to remove the inner plug of the coaxial drain plug on the bottom of the pan and see if a little dribbles out. The engine must be running at idle. You need to connect a scan tool first to make sure the fluid is at the correct temperature. Full procedure below:
2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual

The correct way is to remove the inner plug of the coaxial drain plug on the bottom of the pan and see if a little dribbles out. The engine must be running at idle. You need to connect a scan tool first to make sure the fluid is at the correct temperature. Full procedure below:
I'm starting to think this Mech doesn't know anything about these cars...he didn't say anything about a inner plug of a coaxial and I'm quoting him down to a T and dotting an i ....What's your take on the fluid being just as bad as it was before the flush and I only put about 75 miles total on this car? Is it possible that the transmission ...(which is throwing a p0741 ttc solenoid stuck off ) code has turned 4 day old transmission fluid dirty as the darkened color before the flush? Yet no slipping while driving and shifts great ....Now the fuel economy in lack of a better term really sucks literally lol but that's a common symptom of this code and solenoid that's not working...The Mech said my transmission is shot and its slipping bad...I'm not in denial because it very well could be but damn if I'm not getting a second opinion...On the way out the door he finished with ...can you let me know what you find out if you take it to Ford I really want to know for future reference ...I'm taking it to a transmission shop this next week for a second opinion ....I'm beyond frustrated to say the least

Thanks Joe! the Workshop manual gives me a ton of info and allows me to know what I'm up against here ...much appreciated ty ....

Time to at least drop the pan and see what's going on. If you find a lot of friction material in the bottom of the pan, it's probably done.
Still it could just be that it was dirty enough and the filter screen wasn't cleaned so that the new fluid looks dirty too. It may just need the solenoid assembly replaced and the valve body rebuilt.
If it was slipping, you would most certainly have a code for wrong ratio. The PCM does monitor for that.

Time to at least drop the pan and see what's going on. If you find a lot of friction material in the bottom of the pan, it's probably done.
Still it could just be that it was dirty enough and the filter screen wasn't cleaned so that the new fluid looks dirty too. It may just need the solenoid assembly replaced and the valve body rebuilt.
If it was slipping, you would most certainly have a code for wrong ratio. The PCM does monitor for that.
What's the cost of a transmission shop dropping the pan and/or doing a multi-point inspection to see if it needs a rebuild or a solenoid assembly? By the way what's the solenoid? I keep hearing that the LS takes a solenoid pack....does this car require a solenoid pack or a solenoid sensor? What's a ballpark average for a solenoid assembly? When it comes to transmissions I'm not denying that I'm a fish out of water ...thanks for the response

There's a set of solenoid valves in the transmission that control the pressurized hydraulic fluid to the servos that apply the shift bands and the torque converter. Solenoids are electric coils that create a magnetic field when current flows through them. The magnetic field pulls in needle valves at the core of the solenoids.

There are tons of posts on here about them. Unless it's changed, you are looking at $700 to $900 to have them replaced with new ones and get new gaskets and springs and such put in the valve body.

Whatever you do, don't go to a chain transmission shop, ever. AFAIK, they're all like AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out). They'll say the transmission must be rebuilt. Then they'll replace it with a random (non-rebuilt) one from a junkyard and claim they rebuilt yours.

Find out who the local car shops send the cars to for transmission work.

It's possible the 'dirty' fluid is because the operation the shop did left the old fluid in the converter and cooler/lines. The 5R55X is a complex beast in any of its iterations and not very repair-friendly.

KS

There's a set of solenoid valves in the transmission that control the pressurized hydraulic fluid to the servos that apply the shift bands and the torque converter. Solenoids are electric coils that create a magnetic field when current flows through them. The magnetic field pulls in needle valves at the core of the solenoids.

There are tons of posts on here about them. Unless it's changed, you are looking at $700 to $900 to have them replaced with new ones and get new gaskets and springs and such put in the valve body.

Whatever you do, don't go to a chain transmission shop, ever. AFAIK, they're all like AAMCO (All Automatics Must Come Out). They'll say the transmission must be rebuilt. Then they'll replace it with a random (non-rebuilt) one from a junkyard and claim they rebuilt yours.

Find out who the local car shops send the cars to for transmission work.
So is it safe to bring a car to AAMCO to get a computer diagnostic at least? It would be nice to know if this issue is either mechanical or electrical? I mean doesnt AAMCO ( being that they specialize in transmissions ) have a computer that they can hook up and tell me which of the two is malfunctioning? Could I use them for electronic diagnostic test? I don't really have a regular mechanic because I do all repairs myself ...still just a shade tree mechanic but with Internet research I usually get things fixed on my own ...I just found out what happens when I take my car to a repair shop...they dump wrong fluid in transmission after a half ass flush ....I agree with Cammerfe I'm sure they didn't even flush cooler or converter ....and then they tell me I need a new transmission because it's slipping and it will be around $3000-$4000 dollars...this was supposed to be a repututable shop I brought my car to, even a AAMCO probably would've flushed the car better with there power purge system ...of course I don't know this as a fact due to the fact I've never been there...in all honesty this is the first car I've ever had transmission issues with ...So like I said in the last post ...I'm a fish out of water when it comes to transmissions...they're nothing like a engine ...the engine is the heart of the car and the tranny is the brain ...I'm no Brain Surgent lol anyway I'm thinking I could at least have AAMCO do there multi-point inspection so I can see if this is electronically or mechanical ...I certainly wish I had more choices here :(

No, don't go to AAMCO. They can't diagnose ----, and don't have what's needed to test the LS PCM.
You do not want a power purge. Those do kill older transmissions.
The fluid exchange machine that you described is what the service manual calls for. There's no way they didn't clear the cooler lines, because they used them to do the exchange. The cooler itself would have fully drained while the exchange was going on. They may have stopped too soon?

No, don't go to AAMCO. They can't diagnose ----, and don't have what's needed to test the LS PCM.
The fluid exchange machine that you described is what the service manual calls for. There's no way they didn't clear the cooler lines, because they used them to do the exchange. The cooler itself would have fully drained while the exchange was going on. They may have stopped too soon?
Yes you're right they used the cooler lines I now remember them saying this when I asked how they flushed it? So AAMCO is no good? Why? I thought this is a Corperation that specializes in Transmissions? The shop that did the flush told me to go to them ...they said the dealer would bend me over fixing this transmission ...I don't think I can win for losing here :(

Well, if I decide to stick money into this transmission I may as well bring it to Ford and pay the piper to have it diagnosed properly ... " All Automatics Must Come Out " AAMCO never heard that one.....I shot myself in the foot when not heeding your advise last time and with all your posts going back to time of memorial of this Forum I must say you certainly know your shit when it comes to the Lincoln LS and not to mention other cars such as BMW's so wish me luck that the dealer finds the issue quickly and doesn't use sand paper

Saturday so had the weekend off...went under to check out the transmission and saw what looked like a twelve position housing connected into the front side of Transmission just wondering if those are the only wires visible from the outside of transmission?

Had mine flushed at a Lincoln dealer a few years ago for my old LS, I think it was around $130-$150 at the time and they dropped the pan as well. Took like 1.5-2hrs if I recall. Would never go to a generic quick lane again for the simplest things let alone a trans flush. I love the print outs they give you when you leave as they check absolutely nothing besides what they were suppose to do. I would think its the same at any chain transmission shop.

Had mine flushed at a Lincoln dealer a few years ago for my old LS, I think it was around $130-$150 at the time and they dropped the pan as well. Took like 1.5-2hrs if I recall. Would never go to a generic quick lane again for the simplest things let alone a trans flush. I love the print outs they give you when you leave as they check absolutely nothing besides what they were suppose to do. I would think its the same at any chain transmission shop.
I went to ford dealer and had them do a diagnostic check ....$40 dollars less in my bank and all they told me is its not electrical because the solenoid is working so they said I need a complete new rebuild also said they found metal in fluid and the fluid is much to dark after the fluid transfer...quoted me a bill to the tune of the worst case scenario $3,102.88 with a starting price $2034.65 .......if I do the rebuild myself it will cost $760 in parts they said...kinda in shock right now ....need a minute to let this settle in...the ttc wasn't stuck off before the fluid exchange and transmission is shifting flawless as of now ....they said that this Lincoln shuts the torque converter lock out mode off after it fails to do so kinda like a fail safe so it won't damage itself...two weeks ago no Check Transmission light ...I do a fluid exchange and nownow they say I need a new transmission...I guess I will be acquiring a new hobby this summer ....learning as I go how to rebuild a 5R55N transmission

Will start with solenoid a and go from there I will keep track of all progress for the next LS Owner who runs into this problem ...

Members online

No members online now.
Back