trunk opens when starting car

LOL yes I know, it was funny for the first week now it is a pain in the @#$. took everything apart to check and did not really find anything. it pops open everytime I start the car.

omfg lol

I would cut the f'n red wire and figure it out later.

Any other weird things going on? These cars tend to go crazy when they need a new battery.

my trunk pops open every time I start my car , any ideas?

Stock key and remote?
I have that problem, but I have a funky aftermarket key/remote where the trunk button is just really easy to press.
You're not just hitting the truck release button with your knee while starting the car, right? ;)

LOL yes I know, it was funny for the first week now it is a pain in the @#$. took everything apart to check and did not really find anything. it pops open everytime I start the car.

Unless you have some aftermarket wiring or additions up front, I would guess that this would have to be an issue with the REM or the wiring at it.

stock key , no after market parts, removed the remote just to make sure. I have not checked the battery.

you can try checking the plastic "shell" that fits on the bottom lip of the trunk. If that piece isn't snapped in correctly, the trunk won't latch 100%. but if your problem is that the trunk actually pops open when starting the car, then you need a priest and some holy water, because I'm stumped.

any little people hiding in the trunk pulling the emergency release? they are a crafty bunch.

I would check for sketchy wiring under the column - near the trunk pop switch. Maybe an aftermarket remote start/alarm.

My friend has an 01 Pontiac that did the same thing. BEM or GEM was the problem I think.

My friend has an 01 Pontiac that did the same thing. BEM or GEM was the problem I think.

On the LS, the REM (Rear Electronics Module) controls the trunk release, rear lights, fuel pump, several power circuits, and a bunch of other stuff. It's easy to imagine that a short in the right place in this assembly would cause the symptom of the trunk popping when the key is turned on.

Meanwhile, the OP (after verifying that the key works in the trunk lock) could just unplug the wiring to the solenoid to the trunk latch. He'd lose the ability to open the trunk remotely or from inside, but it wouldn't pop open when he started it anymore.

Members online

Back