v6 fan system opinions desired

biohazard_99

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm doing a electric fan conversion and was hoping to gain some insight.

It seems like the ls electric fan has a high draw and run rate. Leading to fried parts or a custom circuit board.

The flexalite 183 appears to be the best choice, low amp high cfms. I understand the v6 ls needs around 3k cfm with a.c., but the fan and controller, wiring, could easily hit 500$!

I have no a.c. system and have dumped a lot into the car already.

The fan(s) I'm considering is a double fan system, 12 in with around 1700 c.f.m and a 6amp run, 13 amp start.and you can pick your choice of pretty colors,lol, for 35$ for the set. And a 1yr warranty. Local autozone has 20 amp fan controller for 18$ each. They are adjustable probe style controllers.

Any opinions? The fans would be wired and controlled separately, so one could be set at a higher temp as a back up. My rad is 19x24 inch on the face. So the majority of it would be covered eliminating the shroud.

It seems like a good safe option, from most of the writeup I read, the fan will fail once or twice anyway. 100 bucks or better with warranty, no high Mp draws. And super simple.

Thank you

Flex-A-Lite 183 comes with wiring and controller. You can try the cheap fans but you will get what you pay for. I have had my 183 for 5 years now, no probs.

... and you can't ask a lincoln owner for help... Don't expect much help. Unless it's to fix a stock problem. These guys just aren't interested in improving anything ...

Ain't this a bitch!

Here is an alternative to the suggestions made above, even though they are also excellent solutions. In the V8 S10 world a common electric fan used is the Ford Taurus 3.8L electric fan. They use it because it fits in a tiny area and has enough draw to cool a 400cid small block Chevy, an engine known to run hot. It would cool an LS just fine. The V8 S10 guys, at least back when I was a regular at their site, never reported getting a bad fan from salvage so I assume this means the fans are pretty robust.

A word of caution, the Taurus fan has an odd control scheme, you have to switch power between the low speed and the high speed terminals, and you can't put power to both at the same time. 160 bucks for the controller at Delta Current Control and the fans are commonly available and guaranteed to work at most salvage yards. You could also work out your own controller with a series of relays and temp sensors but by the time you did you'd be pretty close to the cost of this bolt-in unit.

Big rig...you are an example of my statement. I'm not bashing, but to read and talk about a lincoln where else would I go, or anyone go, I will continue to ask for advice, whether I listen, I'm torn and need insight, I will continue to speak my mind on here, you do not need to listen, about a car, ford designing it, weather good or bad, this car is utterly beautiful, well balance, aluminum, ford skimped in the motor bay, or the 5 speed would be the v8 trim...not v6. To the rest, thank you, I didn't know fl came with controller.

EBay parts seem to hold up fine in my experience, but they are cheap, hence getting 2. I care about warranty. Autozone had a fan too, 70$ but only a short warranty, 2300 c.f.m and 18 amp draw.

I'll check around for a delta, I have a slew of stock fans, I'm like 1900 deep in the last few weeks.not counting buying the car, tag title etc. Non stop labor, I got the car in bad shape. And probably overpaid, I did walk the guy from 1300 to 500. So I guess skimping on the last thing isn't a good idea, but it's cheap, easy future fix, there would be a back up on separate controller, I would mind doing it right with a flex light in a few weeks, my wife would kill me if I present a repair over $100 right now. I guess that plays a part too.

You need to retract this statement "Don't expect much help. Unless it's to fix a stock problem. These guys just aren't interested in improving anything ..."
It is so wrong in so many ways. If you only knew how many on here have done plenty with their LS'es. To sling that crap on a forum where most do appreciate what they own is in my eyes simply downright ignorant. Spare me the "example of my statement" I've done plenty around here!

No. There is little support, venture into the unknown, that I have found. I spoke from personal experience, every time someone like Joegr or someone else gives me hope, you step in. Maybe in time I will retract my statement. Actually, I probably won't, I will continue to thank those for help and return comment on another pointless post. Granted I'm sure you are very helpful, right now you are not.

I decided to go with the autozone setup, It is recommended for our vehicles. As is their controller, it's cheap, and nationwide warranty on the spot.

Nothing worse than waiting for the ability to drive over a fan, I'm dealing with it now, if...should say when the fan or controller burns up, I'll be able swap it out on the spot, order a flexalite, then return the autozone setup if it fails a second time.

I'm hoping the autozone special holds up tho, it's a good price, the ebay idea...I'll buy a set of fans just to try out, they are pretty lol. Judging on looks, eBay is my first choice. On reliability, flexalite. On I need good fan now, autozone vehicle recommended fan and controller. It's for our cars. the V6 anyway.

I'm bout to just buy parts cars and Gove up on individual parts. The autos are a dime a dozen, and I'm thinking my new motor has a bad headgasket, I bought from a reputable yard and they are gonna stand behind it, God it's a lot of work tho.

Autozone...I bought and installed fan early today, no real test time, I'm in pa so it's pretty cold here as is, the car is not raising above NOT, it's a probe style controller, and it will need a toggle to turn off cause it does stay on, im a keep trying to adjust it.

The fan is not 2300c.f.m, the box states 1500. Smh. It does "step" when turning on. No hot wires either. I didn't use the included wiring, it was small. I used some 6 gauge I had. Haha it sounds like a turbine with the hood open.

If ur in a bind...this was a 90$ job at autozone. Took an hour or two max to be drivable. Again...it's 35° outside.

Not speaking from experience, but the flexlite is still looking like best bet.

I'm still trying those eBay fans in the near future. 35$ for a set of thin clean 12 inch colored fans. Gotta at least try before I dish out on the flexalite.

I'm in pa so it's pretty cold here as is, the car is not raising above NOT,

Normal Operating Temperature. Took me a second to realize this was NOT a Borat not-joke

My LS is white not.

.and you can pick your choice of pretty colors,lol, for 35$ for the set.

You could always just paint yours a pretty color. As a bonus, being a motorized fan, you can turn it on to help it dry/paint your shroud.

There is little support, venture into the unknown, that I have found.

If you want to make a change and there's no writeup, then you have to find it out for yourself. I'm not digging through posts to find what this is referring to outside this thread. Take the negativity, whatever it was, and prove the person wrong if you're convinced it can be done.

I think you will find 1500CFM to be too small to cool the car in the summer. 2500 to 3000 is more what you want. It's not just cooling the car engine, it's also cooling the air conditioner condenser and if you don't have enough airflow across this in the summer, the AC will not cool under 40MPH and you could blow the AC system open through overpressure from not being able to cool it down properly.

Ideally you're going to want to make sure there's a couple of inches between the fan and the radiator, and have a shroud that seals the fan to the radiator. Two or more inches will allow the fan to draw air across the entire radiator instead of just the bit the fan fits over. The fan blades should either be housed with a ring, or should fit halfway through the hole cut for the fan with as little clearance as possible between the fan blades and the shroud, but enough clearance along with the fan being tight enough to keep road bumps from being able to bounce the blades into the shroud. For the shroud, I know folks that have used professional aluminum baking pans to make a shroud, and they use the thin shrouded fans on them. The baking pan keeps the fan 2 inches above the radiator, the edge is easy to seal against the radiator, and the fan bolts securely to it. Or better yet, fans.

Members online

No members online now.
Back