V8 stalling

jbarne89

LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm stumped! I have a 2001 LS V8, the past couple of months I start the car and it will start spiting and sputering then stall not all the time it's happened 3-4 times. Today it happened at an intersection while I was waiting for the light. The past 3 times it happened in the driveway before I moved. I would check the fuses, relays and diodes and after I changed the fuel pump fuse in the trunk I could get it going again untill today. It wanted to start but just couldn't (I think) get enough fuel. I can't smell fuel and I changed the filter and cleaned the injectors in the summer. Has any one had a pump go slowly or in your experiance do they just blow? Any feed back would be great! Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place? So here's a stupid question. I checked the fuses underhood for the injectors, OK Then I checked the fuse in the trunk along with the diode. The question I have is the pump relay had some blueing on it also some black marks, do relays blow or do the set themselves

Mileage? Does it matter what the outside temp is when the issue arises? Have you cleaned the MAF and also visually inspected for any air leaks or loose connections in the intake? Also, when have the plugs last been changed?

Hey JBarne,

Do an advanced search looking for threads started by me, I have had a similar issue maybe some of the answers and tests I have performed and received may help you out.

How does it run while on the throttle? My guess would be an IAC valve going bad. Try starting it with your foot on the gas and maintain slight throttle when stopped

280,000KMs. Temps have been hot to cold, dry to wet. No OBD codes were set so nothing to retrieve. Can't find any leaks (air or fuel) It's got 1/2 a tank of 94 grade. Haven't cleaned the MAF because you need to be very careful with those. The injector kit I have cleans the combustion chamber and the EGR as well this isn't the crap you put in the tank. It's hooked up directly to ths fuel system and the cars pump is shut off. I ran 2 cans through the system and it ran so smooth after and got me a large raise in fuel economy I almost didn't believe the numbers. When I changed the fuel filter before this the amount of dirt that came out was unreal, I've never seen one in that bad of shape I think I'm going to give it a shoot of quick start Ether.it runs great on idle but today it didn't matter where your foot was on the gas. As I said, it wanted to start a few times but no amount of feathering the gas would keep it running. Foot off, foot to the floor, nothing worked.

How does it run while on the throttle? My guess would be an IAC valve going bad. Try starting it with your foot on the gas and maintain slight throttle when stopped

My vote too.

Foot to the floor, off floor still a no start and if I try to give a little throtle while at stop, all the feathering in the world won't keep it going. I opened the shrader valve on the fuel rail and there is no preasure. I checked all fuses, relays and diodes again and all seem well. I poured some gas in the throtle body and it started but only until the little bit of gas I poured in ran out. Am I missing anything?

Members online

No members online now.
Back