Valve Cover Gaskets

FloridaLS

LVC Member
Reaction score
I was at my mechanic today and had my transmission fluid and fuel filter changed. I told him that when I changed my back passenger side coil that there was oil on the spark plug. He said that the valve cover gasket needed to be changed. I am ok with that, but he told be that he has to order them from ford and they are $60 a piece and the total price would be $450 to change them both out. Is that a normal price on the LS for a gasket change? He told me on a Chevy 350 engine it is only $60 for the whole deal. Is our car really that big of a pain? The mechanic is reputable as far as I know and our family has used him for a while now. Is this something I could do on my own? I am good with tools, not a professional on engines by a long shot though.

The local Lincoln dealer quoted me about $150 per side (labor and parts).

Please note that if you have an 03, 04, 05 V8 this is covered by the factory to 100K miles.

Mine is on 02'. I just read the tech. article on here...doesn't look to bad to do on my own.

As Rob Schneider once said...

You can do it! Passenger side is a bitch compared to the driver side, but I f'd up the driver side and have to redo because I didn't get the silicone right. Layer the silicone very evenly and liberally at the recommended points and don't go crazy scraping the old crap off. Also, BE CAREFUL taking those bolts off. The phrase "slow and deliberate" took on a whole new meaning when one of mine broke off and I had to get it out. Also II, do the plugs while you are there, you won't be that close again!

At the end of the day though, it's just screws and patience.

That is good to know. I just did the plugs and the coils last month, that is when I noticed the oil in the coil.

Just please be carefull doing job and note the post about the dude who blew his motor from doing VC gasket job not so good. Not ranking on anyone just relaying info.

Yeah I just say it was a fluke, freak accident. And to whoever said the passenger side is the difficult one I disagree. There is a lot more to remove and work around on the driver's side so I personally think that is the much harder side. A dealership to do each side for $150?! That's hell of a deal from them. You can easily do it yourself if you have the workplace and tools.

Does anyone have the part numbers for the ALL required parts? The thread I read in the tech. articles says he needed other parts but did not list the part numbers! Thanks.

the V-8 gasket "kit" for each side is 56.91 and LVC is 42.68 each side plus shipping. all you need is the XW4Z-6584-AB/BB

Max

Members online

No members online now.
Back