Valve Cover Gaskets

ZWilson07

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the best place to find some valve cover gaskets for my 03 v8. all the dealerships around me are wanting an arm and 2 legs ha, and local places like auto zone, napa, or advanced auto parts dont have them.

Call Maxx at Five Star Ford one of our sponsors=======>

Tell him your a member of this site for discount.

called 3 different dealerships, all want 71 dollars per side. if you can get 30 a piece buy em and ill buy them from you lol

called 3 different dealerships, all want 71 dollars per side. if you can get 30 a piece buy em and ill buy them from you lol

Well call team ford and ask for pat. He will take care of you. You will prolly get them for $50 a side, but my discount is the reason why I can get them for $30 a side. I just changed the valve cover gaskets on a friends' car.

my mechanic said he just put sealant around it and it will hold is that right?

if you want some of the leftovers to be swimming around in your engine...do it right and it'll last for years

my mechanic said he just put sealant around it and it will hold is that right?

Your mechanic is an idiot and I would find a new mechanic. Any mechanic that is trying to ghetto rig something like that needs to be reported to the BBB. Just get the correct gaskets and change them and then you shouldn't have any problems.

Well call team ford and ask for pat. He will take care of you. You will prolly get them for $50 a side, but my discount is the reason why I can get them for $30 a side. I just changed the valve cover gaskets on a friends' car.

JWerner's? :p

If you go through the process to change them yourself, you will kick yourself if you don't put new ones in and the old ones with sealer fail some time thereafter... It's a PITA job in my opinion unless you have really small hands - so once you gain access to them anything but new will seem crazy - a lot of heartache all due to cheapy little pieces of rubber!

JWerner's? :p

Lol....negative on that one. Nice one though.

OP,
Changing the valve cover gaskets are not hard to do. Make sure you have a 10mm ratcheting wrench. It will make the job really simple.

I just finished changing my valve cover gaskets on my '03 LS V8 along with new spark plugs & new coil packs. It wasn't as hard as I initially thought it would be. I had Christmas week off so that was the perfect time to do it.
I took my time and worked on the passenger side one evening and then I did the drivers side the next night.

I bought my parts from:
Bob Utter Ford - Sherman, TX

Part number Part Description Qty Price Total
2W4Z*12029*B Ignition coil, 3.9 liter 8 $51.02 $408.16
AGSP32FSM SPARK PLUG ASY 8 $5.30 $42.40
3W4Z*6584*BB KIT GSKT CAM CVR 1 $60.63 $60.63
3W4Z*6584*AB KIT GSKT CAM CVR 1 $60.63 $60.63
Sub Total $571.82
Shipping $9.95
Total $581.77

My local Ford Dealership wanted $656 just for the labor. I decided I could save the money and do it myself. I even saved several hundred dollars by not buying the parts from my local Ford dealer.

I am the second owner of my '03 LS V8 and I am glad I went ahead and replaced all of the plugs while I was replacing the Valve Cover Gaskets because it looked like they haven't been replaced in a long time. They were worn down and the GAP on them were between .056-.050, I GAP'd the new ones to .041. Two of the eight coils & plugs were bone dry and the other six were flooded with oil. I found that using craft pipe cleaners from walmart or hobby lobby worked really well with soaking up the oil and using a towel to wipe off the fuzzy pipe cleaner before dipping it back down in the spark plug well to get more oil out. Once the oil was cleaned out I used a paper towel to wipe the spark plug wells dry and then replaced all of the spark plugs.

The car runs absolutely great now and doesn't go into failsafe mode anymore.

THANK YOU TO EVERYONE ON THIS SITE THAT POSTED INFORMATION AND TECHNICAL GUIDES ON THIS SUBJECT. YOU ALL REALLY HELPED ME OUT!

Steven Brown
2003 Lincoln LS V8

Members online

Back