Vibrations

E

Elmer Fudd

I'm had my 2000 Ls v8 into the dealer many times for a number of vibration concerns, delayed shifts from reverse to drive and continuing radio problems. They weren't successful in correcting the vibration and shifting problems. They have told me that these are normal conditions for the LS.

Thanks to the information I received on this site the dealer has now corrected my radio problems, a loose ground strap and re-flashed the tranny. The rear amp is working and tranny delay is gone. However the tranny is now shifting differently, I want to say that its very busy shifting up and down at 30-40 mph.

1- the car has had a vibration in the steering wheel for the past 15 months that is getting much worst. From time to time I get a clicking/clucking noise from the column. After driving on the highway for an hour your hands begin to tingle. I also feel the vibration in the gas pedal.

2) On very cold mornings the tranny makes a loud whining noise for the first few miles. Sounds like a NYC cab. Then it gets a much quieter but it never really goes away. I hear it more at lower speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. When the engine is cold its also noisy, sounds like an exhaust leak but when its get hot its gets quiet. My F350 with a 460 is quieter.

3) The car feels like it has brake dragging this comes and goes although it is more noticeable when you have four people in the car. I know that the brakes aren't the cause since they are the original pads and have at least 50% left on them.

4) There's also a thumping noise that sounds as if it coming from the rear. This changes with speed, passengers and road surface, this could be a tire. I have rotated and balanced the tires a number of times but the noise continues

5) The other day when I was standing outside of the car I noticed/heard the tailpipes vibrating. This vibration feels a lot like the vibration that I feel through the car.

I was hoping that some of you could offer me some suggestion that I might bring to my dealer attention. This car is degrading at a rate that is unacceptable to me and the Lincoln commitment center has been of no help.

I have requested the service manager to check out the TSB's that may apply to these conditions and to contact the Regional rep for assistance. He has advised me that there aren't any TSB's and the regional rep isn't aware of any problems.

I am going into dealer on Monday to give him one last chance to resolve these problems. If not I will be taking a road trip to Dearborn since I can't get in touch with the regional rep.

I had a friend tell me about his problems with his car once. There seemed to be a problem that for one reason or another the dealer couldn't fix it, or rather wouldn't really acknowledge it at times. Anyway, it wasn't until he threatened to exercise the lemon law that the dealer became more aggressive about trying to fix it. At this point, and after exercising the lemon law, it was found that there were major defects in the car, and the company has replaced the car for him with the newest model. Needless to say he is now a very happy car owner. I don't know that I would keep giving the car repair guy any more opportunities to fix the car, instead of just exercising the lemon law.

the vibrations on the column could be the mounting bolts

Elmer Fudd said:
I'm had my 2000 Ls v8 into the dealer many times for a number of vibration concerns, delayed shifts from reverse to drive and continuing radio problems. They weren't successful in correcting the vibration and shifting problems. They have told me that these are normal conditions for the LS.

Thanks to the information I received on this site the dealer has now corrected my radio problems, a loose ground strap and re-flashed the tranny. The rear amp is working and tranny delay is gone. However the tranny is now shifting differently, I want to say that its very busy shifting up and down at 30-40 mph.

1- the car has had a vibration in the steering wheel for the past 15 months that is getting much worst. From time to time I get a clicking/clucking noise from the column. After driving on the highway for an hour your hands begin to tingle. I also feel the vibration in the gas pedal.

2) On very cold mornings the tranny makes a loud whining noise for the first few miles. Sounds like a NYC cab. Then it gets a much quieter but it never really goes away. I hear it more at lower speeds in 1st and 2nd gear. When the engine is cold its also noisy, sounds like an exhaust leak but when its get hot its gets quiet. My F350 with a 460 is quieter.

3) The car feels like it has brake dragging this comes and goes although it is more noticeable when you have four people in the car. I know that the brakes aren't the cause since they are the original pads and have at least 50% left on them.

4) There's also a thumping noise that sounds as if it coming from the rear. This changes with speed, passengers and road surface, this could be a tire. I have rotated and balanced the tires a number of times but the noise continues

5) The other day when I was standing outside of the car I noticed/heard the tailpipes vibrating. This vibration feels a lot like the vibration that I feel through the car.

I was hoping that some of you could offer me some suggestion that I might bring to my dealer attention. This car is degrading at a rate that is unacceptable to me and the Lincoln commitment center has been of no help.

I have requested the service manager to check out the TSB's that may apply to these conditions and to contact the Regional rep for assistance. He has advised me that there aren't any TSB's and the regional rep isn't aware of any problems.

I am going into dealer on Monday to give him one last chance to resolve these problems. If not I will be taking a road trip to Dearborn since I can't get in touch with the regional rep.
the

2 answers

the vibration in the column could be the loose mounting bolts ont the column or stearing box. Good chance the thumping noise in rear is a broken shock mount

Members online

No members online now.
Back