Voltage Jump When Accelerating

lightman02

LVC Member
Reaction score
Here is my problem, I have replaced my alternator with a NAPA unit. My original alternator was dead, I had it rebuilt and was getting over 16V out of it which was way to high. I decided to get one from NAPA and it is charging at the normal 14.5 volts. However I noticed as I am driving especially at night when I accelerate I see the headlights flicker bright for a second and go back to normal. I even saw the battery light flicker once at that time as well. I also get that phantom beep from the dash when that happend. It seems pretty consistent and I believe I am getting a slight hesitation from the engine. I have replaced all my springs and boots on the coils as I had replaced my leaky valve cover gaskets. Can a bad coil cause this messing the computer up from EMI ??? I'm kind of at a stand still here. Or could I have a crappy alternator again. I am able to drive and the car is charging but I keep getting these unexplained voltage surges.

Check the engine ground strap to make sure that it is good and is tightly (and cleanly) connected at both ends. Also check the red wire on the three pin connector to the alternator. It should always read true battery voltage.

Check the engine ground strap to make sure that it is good and is tightly (and cleanly) connected at both ends. Also check the red wire on the three pin connector to the alternator. It should always read true battery voltage.

Which ground strap?? And where does the red wire terminate to get a good reading? At the PCM connector itself??

Which ground strap?? And where does the red wire terminate to get a good reading? At the PCM connector itself??

I don't have details of where you find the ground strap on gen I, but it should be big and easy to find.

The red wire should be low resistance all the way back to the positive terminal of the battery. Again, I don't have gen I details, but I would suspect that it would go to the rear electrical junction box.

Members online

No members online now.
Back