Volum won't work?

devunn

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.. the car has been running pretty well since I replaced the vcgs and the coils until now. I can't listen to any music!! It's :q:q:q:qin terrible! Started my car yesturday and turned on the radio and nothing. Turning the knob for the volume does nothing. Normally when you turn the knob "Vol" appears on the display and you'll see bars either going up or down depending on if you're lowering the volume or not. Now all that happens is "Vol" appears on the display and no bars follow. I have removed the radio from the dash and checked all connections to it...everything appears to be fine. The controls on the steering wheel have the same result. Anyone have any ideas? I doubt it could be a fuse but I'm going to check that. I never realized how important music was until now. The system is completely stock, I have not installed anything.

You have to turn it clockwise, not counter clock wise. Took me 3 months to figure that out.

Broke? I really hope not. I was hoping there was something I was overlooking.. I know i'm turning it right..i've had the car for over 2 years. I even took the knob off and just turned the metal connection...nothing changed. What I don't unerstand is that "Vol" is still displayed just none of the bars after the word are displayed which makes me think the button is still working.

How about trying this audio test that "Quik LS" posted in the following topic (SEE QUOTE BELOW)!

http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=18721&highlight=tricks

I've posted this a few times:

Test the audio system by push and hold presets 3 and 6 simultaneously.
The system enters a speaker test mode which sends tones to each speaker.

While the speaker test is running hit the presets for other information and tests. Pressing the 'Tune' button cycles through some of the displays.

Hey guys.. the car has been running pretty well since I replaced the vcgs and the coils until now. I can't listen to any music!! It's :q:q:q:qin terrible! Started my car yesturday and turned on the radio and nothing. Turning the knob for the volume does nothing. Normally when you turn the knob "Vol" appears on the display and you'll see bars either going up or down depending on if you're lowering the volume or not. Now all that happens is "Vol" appears on the display and no bars follow. I have removed the radio from the dash and checked all connections to it...everything appears to be fine. The controls on the steering wheel have the same result. Anyone have any ideas? I doubt it could be a fuse but I'm going to check that. I never realized how important music was until now. The system is completely stock, I have not installed anything.

You don't post the year of your car. The 1st gen is very different from the 2nd gen, so usually that is needed information.

When you first turn the car on (if the radio is already on) does "VOL" appear on the display?
Can you change presets using the steering wheel controls?
Can you change presets using the buttons on the radio?

Does "VOL" appear when you try the volume controls on the steering wheel?

You don't post the year of your car. The 1st gen is very different from the 2nd gen, so usually that is needed information.

When you first turn the car on (if the radio is already on) does "VOL" appear on the display?
Can you change presets using the steering wheel controls?
Can you change presets using the buttons on the radio?

Does "VOL" appear when you try the volume controls on the steering wheel?

Its a 2001. If the radio is already on Vol does not appear on the display...it only appears when I try to turn up the volume. Yes i can change the presets with the steering wheel controls. Yes I can change the presets with the buttons on the radio. The problem seems to have gone away. I'm sure it'll happen again though.

Members online

Back