want my Mark to purr

Jeffintampa

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
Next project on my All Stock mark is...
I want to change the exhaust to get just a little rumble or purr, the stock is real quite, any one done this and what brand of muffler did you use?

Stock 96 gen 1 lsc

before i did the full true duels I just had a pair of the flowmaster hush powers on the back.
very nice sound very little resonens(sp?) and not as loud as the 40 series.
I would definatly recomend them to anyone who wands a quieter rumble.
when I did the true duels with high flow cats and an x pipe I went to the 40 series. but I put the hushpowers on my crown vic. and I still absolutly love them.
check out flowmasters web site. they have sound clips on there so you can here them

Hey all,
Next project on my All Stock mark is...
I want to change the exhaust to get just a little rumble or purr, the stock is real quite, any one done this and what brand of muffler did you use?

Stock 96 gen 1 lsc

Yes many of us and we have about as many different set ups as members who have changed their exhaust.

All depends on how much you want to spend.

I put a set of Magnaflow race mufflers on my car with the rest of the exhuast stock. It's got a nice rumble to it and when you open it up it sounds great, but not really loud as the rest of the exh is stock. I was hoping it would be a bit louder, but the tone is great. ;)

Hey Icarus,
What did you have wrapped up in the magnaflows Sounds like what I want

i have a 3 inch single with a cheap turbo mufller on mine and it sounds about perfect for a lincoln. just loud enough to know its modded, no rasp either. its way quieter than just the rear mufflers cut off with the rest stock.

i like the sound that the guy with the Borla's on you tube.. not too loud but enough growl to make it interesting.

how hard is it to put in high flow cats? Cuz isn't the one cat and the exhaust manifold one piece?

I have true duals on mine with what looks to be turbo mufflers(predators)??? I like the sound outside, but it resonates pretty bad inside at times. I have to see about switching them. I got the exhaust off a car I parted out. The only thing I don't like about the youtube videos is you can't really tell on what it will sound like inside??

Hey Icarus,
What did you have wrapped up in the magnaflows Sounds like what I want

They were a bit over $400 installed for the pair. It's the Race series with tips attached part number 14851.

race02.jpg

They are 2 1/4" inlet with a 2 1/2" straight-through core, so can be hooked up to a 2 1/2" system later if I decide to go with larger pipe through-out. I notched out the bumper cover so they don't sit to low. Yours being a '96 LSC should have the cutouts already.
Another option that might be a bit cheaper is to get the Magnaflow Race 14148 and what ever tips you want, or a lil bit quiter with the regular Magnaflow SS mufflers with/without tips.

gio34.JPG

i have a 3 inch single with a cheap turbo mufller on mine and it sounds about perfect for a lincoln. just loud enough to know its modded, no rasp either. its way quieter than just the rear mufflers cut off with the rest stock.

Can you post pics? I've considered something similar..

how hard is it to put in high flow cats? Cuz isn't the one cat and the exhaust manifold one piece?

yes it is

I did mine when I had the exhaust all bent up

I had access to a hoist and welder at work. so I pulled off the exhaust off myself cut off the cat and welded a pice in place with a flange on it. then took it to the exaust shop like that. boy was that a LOUD drive lol:D
I supplyed the x pipe cats and the mufflers. and the shop just bent and welded everything up to for me. cost 420 takes in. 2 1/2 true duels front to back sounds fricken awsome.

I picked up 01 cobra manifolds that will alow me to remove the exhuast from the manifolds on both sides. I got the manifolds for $25 with oem pressed metal gaskets and all the bolts.

It's a cheap option...

yeah I pick those up but never put them in. you need to lift the motor to get them off and on again. looked like to much work. lol

You can take out the stock manifolds and put the cobra ones in without lifting the motor at all.... just gotta experiment with extensions and flexible joints.

Members online

No members online now.
Back