Well, I need to tires!! Grrrrr (Blowout!)

IL-LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Went to the airport to pickup a friend, on the way home...crusing along at 70mph, I hear this odd sound... Think not good. 1/2 mile later I am on the side changing my blow out!

Car has 22k miles on it!! WTF? The whole inside wall of the tire was TOAST, almost 80% of the side wall was blown out of the tire!!

So I am thinking... screw it, and just get all 4 new tires!! Thoughts? The backs are better than the front, and if I replace 2 it would be the back 2... so at that point I figure do em all.

SOOOO LONG storry short. Whatare some recommendations? Stick with the size I got? (whatever that is on the 17in chrome wheel pkg) or upgrade?

Brand tires? Always been a bridgestonefan...

What are you guys running?

Need to get them asap. Like tomm AM. GOt the donghut on there!

MIKE

how much you think im looking at? $$$$ any places you suggest to go.. I was just going to go to an NTB or sears....

IL-LS said:
Went to the airport to pickup a friend, on the way home...crusing along at 70mph, I hear this odd sound... Think not good. 1/2 mile later I am on the side changing my blow out!

Car has 22k miles on it!! WTF? The whole inside wall of the tire was TOAST, almost 80% of the side wall was blown out of the tire!!

So I am thinking... screw it, and just get all 4 new tires!! Thoughts? The backs are better than the front, and if I replace 2 it would be the back 2... so at that point I figure do em all.

SOOOO LONG storry short. Whatare some recommendations? Stick with the size I got? (whatever that is on the 17in chrome wheel pkg) or upgrade?

MIKE
Blowout on the sidewall sounds to me like your tires weren't inflated properly. I had this happen on a car I was driving back from an auto auction for my parents.......sucks. I have Sumitomo 245/45/17 on my car and they are great. They only run about $135-140/ tire. Not to bad of a price and mine have been great! Check your tire pressures next time.

yeah it might have been an inflation deal!! :( who makes your tires??

I just purchased 4 new tires and opted for the Pirelli Pzero Nero M&S. They have received great reviews on tirerack.com. I have only put about 1,000 miles on them, but I absolutely love the tires. Very quiet, very smooth, and seem to have good traction (although I really haven't tested them that much). Tirerack carries 245/45/17's for about 140 each, but I opted for 235/55's because they are on closeout for 118. They are about 3/4 of inch taller than stock, but they look great on the car and the taller tire actually makes the ride smoother. Check out the reviews here: Tirerack Pirelli Pzero Neros

IL-LS said:
yeah it might have been an inflation deal!! :( who makes your tires??
Sumitomo makes my tires (got them through Sears). I didn't mean to sound like a jackazz.........just thought you might check the pressure on the other tires.........sorry if i offended you.

DLS8K said:
Sumitomo makes my tires (got them through Sears). I didn't mean to sound like a jackazz.........just thought you might check the pressure on the other tires.........sorry if i offended you.

LoL No, not at all.. I was agreeing w/ you! :Beer

hey i had the same thing happen toi me i was doiing about 60 and boom!!!! the right rear went out long story short i went to sears and got a pair of bf goodrich 215/60/16 and they were about 80 apiece they ride great now weird that i blew out did it cause n e damage it tore a whole in my exhaust??!! wtf!!??

Yep, all 4. Rides nice, maybe a TOUCH firmer than last tires. Total out the door with lifetime balance, rotation, alignments for a year, and an alignment today was $570 I thought I did good!! :)

P-Zero/ Nero M&S by Pirelli have been great to me 10,000 miles and counting.

As Promised!

HPIM0394.jpg

HPIM0395.jpg

HPIM0396.jpg

HPIM0398.jpg

HPIM0399.jpg

Thanks a ton! I wanted to see how much diff the yokos came off than mine. I run BFG 245/45/ZR17.

Thanks again, car is lookin good!

Btw, no worries on your bumper, hit bumpers.com they got great ones, you'll be back in shape in no time.

-DIDJI

Tire sidewall blowout

IL-LS said:

MIKE
when a tire has a complete sidewall tear out, it is a function of complete fatigue failure due to air loss. The sidewall deflects and compresses and actually rubs itself apart. You usually don't feel it until it is too late. the best tires are made by michelin and goodyear. stay with the tire size as recommended by the auto manufacturer.

tireman said:
when a tire has a complete sidewall tear out, it is a function of complete fatigue failure due to air loss. The sidewall deflects and compresses and actually rubs itself apart. You usually don't feel it until it is too late. the best tires are made by michelin and goodyear. stay with the tire size as recommended by the auto manufacturer.

Firestone said that once too :(

I walked into the barbershop the other day to, of course, get a haircut, and low and behold sitting there in the corner is a brand new Michelin Symmetry tire the exact same size as the one that is on the Mark VIII with a 'for sale' sign on it. The tires on my car were bald enough that sand spurs were a possible issue and Ed (the barber) was selling these brand new tires because they came on his '05 Cadillac and he wanted white walls instead. So I picked up a brand new set of Michelins for 300.00. Happy happy happy dance!!! It's great to be me!!

I just put on Kumho ASX's on the stock rim with my car lowered 255/45/17's w/o any problems. Tire Rack had a special on them for about $460 delivered. AWESOME tire!

Members online

No members online now.
Back